Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    bird

Think Twice Before You Write

Folks -
    I submitted a letter to the editor of the press democrat. Today they printed the letter EXCEPT it wasn't what i wrote. Someone in the editorial dept. took the liberty of completely rewritting my letter, eliminating some important content and changing the entire tone and value of my letter. I have received some abusive and threatening phone calls as a result of these unauthorized changes.
    Character assasination i call it.
    I don't think i have any recourse, but will be speaking with the head of that dept. first thing in the morning!
    Think before you write......somebody out there has some very strange ideas about "free speech".
    BEWARE OF THE PRESS DEMOCRAT!!!!
    peace.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    OrchardDweller

Re: Think Twice Before You Write

Quote Posted in reply to the post by drumgurl: View Post
    Folks -
    I submitted a letter to the editor of the press democrat. Today they printed the letter EXCEPT it wasn't what i wrote. Someone in the editorial dept. took the liberty of completely rewritting my letter, eliminating some important content and changing the entire tone and value of my letter. I have received some abusive and threatening phone calls as a result of these unauthorized changes.
    Character assasination i call it.
    I don't think i have any recourse, but will be speaking with the head of that dept. first thing in the morning!
    Think before you write......somebody out there has some very strange ideas about "free speech".
    BEWARE OF THE PRESS DEMOCRAT!!!!
    peace.
    Yeah.. can't trust mainstream media anymore. Here's an interesting article on the subject: https://www.whynocoverage.com/ny-tim...h-mike-gravel/

3. TopTop #3
    nurturetruth
    Co-observing

Yes! I am sure we would all be very interested and grateful to have access to both the original letter & revised version .......

thank you for sharing, Drumgurl !

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Clancy: View Post
    If true, this is a very serious matter.

Would you be willing to post your original letter and the revised version so we can see what they did?

4. TopTop #4
    Vet-To-Pet

I hate to be the party pooper, but the editorial page has a "disclaimer" of sorts stating that letters have a limit of 200 words, and "may be edited for length and clarity". Having written dozens of letters to the editor over the past several years, I've seen my intended message butchered and unrecognizable with just a few swipes of the editor's pen. On the other hand, if your letter was totally rewritten (rather than shortened---leaving out important parts of the letter or simply shortened in length), then I'd get in touch with the editorial director (Peter Golis; 526-8651; [email protected]) and get to the truth of the matter. Unfortunately, there's probably some guideline he'll be able to use as an excuse for anything that he felt "necessary" to do in order to publish your letter....sigh....I advise you to keep trying. If he says it was too long, try to shorten it yourself & resubmit it. If he left out important portions of it, explain why those need to be included to allow the letter to make its point. If you can get him on the phone, it'll be better than an e-mail since you'll be able to (calmly!) explain how your letter ended up sounding nothing like what you'd intended, etc. Let him KNOW that you've received annoying comments/phone calls due to what HE ended up printing. Be sure he knows that his actions resulted in embarrassment & anger directed at you as a result of HIS "editing". Good luck, & don't give up!
    Smiles,
    Paula/Vet-To-Pet

Quote Posted in reply to the post by nurturetruth: View Post
    Yes! I am sure we would all be very interested and grateful to have access to both the original letter & revised version .......

thank you for sharing, Drumgurl !