Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #31
    Valley Oak

Re: Efren Carrillo Update

"Manure Man?" What's that all about???

Quote Posted in reply to the post by jbox: View Post
    Tom Lynch, the original and inimitable Manure Man, is also quite a credible candidate. He also posesses a dandy sense of humor, which I find missing in most political candidates.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #32
    Damien

Was not Tom Lynch a Carrillo appointee?

Tom Lynch, the original and inimitable Manure Man, is also quite a credible candidate. He also posesses a dandy sense of humor, which I find missing in most political candidates.

3. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

4. TopTop #33
    jbox

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Edward Mendoza: View Post
    "Manure Man?" What's that all about???
    Google it. Tom's story is a great one.

[Here's a good article about it in the Gazette - Barry]
    Last edited by Barry; 08-07-2013 at 12:35 PM.

5. TopTop #34
    Dixon

Tom Lynch, the original and inimitable Manure Man, is also quite a credible candidate.
    I would think being a manure man (or woman) would eminently qualify someone to be a politician.

6. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

7. TopTop #35
    Shepherd

Though I like the nickname "manure man," as one who shovels shit often on my farm to serve as fertilizer, Tom Lynch would not be as good as any number of other electable people, including Sarah Gurney, Lawrence Jaffe, and Craig Litwin, in my opinion. They would all help us as environmentalists and fight against pesticides, as they already have, whereas Tom does not have such a good history. He has run before and lost. Sarah and Craig have both served as Sebastopol mayors and Lawrence has been president of the Climate Control Campaign and the Sebastopol Grange. They would all be electable and apparently are all likely to run. We do not need a perfect candidate, but we do need one candidate who can prevail over whomever the Doug Bosco people put up to replace their current man in that office.

Google it. Tom's story is a great one.

8. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

9. TopTop #36

If Efren comes out of rehab and has even a semi reasonable explanation for his shameful behavior and is not charged with a felony crime, then he will probably not resign. We don't know the whole story yet, but we will know more after the next hearing at the end of the month.

A recall effort seems very likely to happen anyway, given that the labor unions are pissed off at him and have a lot of money to support the recall action.

Then it will be up to the voting public to decide if he stays or goes, as it should be, as we were the folks who elected him... twice.

If the recall is an "impossible uphill battle? Too expensive? Too few volunteers? An organizational failure?"... Then I guess we will just have to live with him for the rest of his term, but I'll bet that this incident will have shaken him enough that he will be a changed man. (hopefully a better man)

If the recall is successful, then we get to choose a new rep.

It's not the end of the world folks... just politics.

Tom
    Last edited by Barry; 08-07-2013 at 12:37 PM.

10. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

11. TopTop #37
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Yeah, except for the fact that he dumped a truckload of it on the steps of City Hall.............

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dixon: View Post
    I would think being a manure man (or woman) would eminently qualify someone to be a politician.

12. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

13. TopTop #38
    jbox

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sara S: View Post
    Yeah, except for the fact that he dumped a truckload of it on the steps of City Hall.............
    Sometimes when yer tired of taking so much shit ya gotta give a little bit back. What he did was a great statement and what it said is sometimes you really can fight city hall and sometimes you can win.

14. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

15. TopTop #39
    sebastacat

Oh, my goodness! This is bringing back SO MANY memories!!

16. Gratitude expressed by:

17. TopTop #40
    dominus

Some of the world's greatest leaders were introverted - Gandhi, Lincoln, Einstein. Introverts usually become leaders out of necessity.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    I am too emotional and introverted for such a role. I feel more comfortable writing about such matters.
    Last edited by Barry; 08-08-2013 at 01:48 PM.

18. Gratitude expressed by:

19. TopTop #41
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Ernire Carpenter would be great; back in the '80s he would come all the way out to Stillwater Cove Ranch periodically, just to keep the country folks informed, and to see what we thought. It wasn't for a photo opportunity, and there weren't any money or grapes influencing him.

20. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

21. TopTop #42
    Shepherd

I agree that Ernie would be great, if Efren resigns, and then the Governor could appoint him until the 2014 election. He would hold that space well. I seem to remember him indicating that if that happened he would not run in 2014. The biggest problem would be if Erik K. were to replace Efren, at any point. He would probably be worse than Efren, in my opinion.

Eventually we need someone who could be elected in 2014, which I think could be Sarah Gurney, Lawrence Jaffe, Craig Litwin, or someone else who might emerge. Sebastopol Vice-Mayor Robert Jacob would be great, but this is still his first year in office, so 2014 would probably be pre-mature for him to go up. He is also Latino.

Ernire Carpenter would be great; back in the '80s he would come all the way out to Stillwater Cove Ranch periodically, just to keep the country folks informed, and to see what we thought. It wasn't for a photo opportunity, and there weren't any money or grapes influencing him.

22. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

23. TopTop #43
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Thanks again, Shepherd, for letting those of us who rarely do research know our options....

[QUOTE=Shepherd;169841Eventually we need someone who could be elected in 2014, which I think could be Sarah Gurney, Lawrence Jaffe, Craig Litwin, or someone else who might emerge. Sebastopol Vice-Mayor Robert Jacob would be great, but this is still his first year in office, so 2014 would probably be pre-mature for him to go up. He is also Latino.[/QUOTE]

24. Gratitude expressed by:

25. TopTop #44

My only interaction with Ernie Carpenter left a bad taste in my ballot box.

A wealthy land owner wanted to split the orchard property next door to us for two McMansions and the planning department said NO, that does not fit in with the General Plan. Upon appeal, The Board of Supervisors overrode the planning department decision by one vote... you guessed it, Ernie's vote. It seems that the land owner may have (allegedly) contributed to his campaign or something.

All turned out well though and the new neighbors were great, but I guess every politician has a price.

Still, he may have mellowed by now and be as good a candidate as any to take Efren's seat if it is vacated.
    Tom

26. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

27. TopTop #45
    jbox

Quote Posted in reply to the post by tomcat: View Post
    My only interaction with Ernie Carpenter left a bad taste in my ballot box. ...
    If I'm not mistaken Ernie represented the Preservation ranch folks who wanted to develop it and then kinda tried to do a little dance to distance himself from them during the campaign against Efren, which he lost rather badly. Efren, on the other hand, came down on the right side of the issue and the land was set aside. Politics is complicated and weird, folks, there are rarely black and white no doubt about it issues (except in the minds of some doctrinaire zealots), there are always shades of grey. If anyone thinks Ernie of gonna come in on his white horse and save the day you might want to revisit that. Like any politician he's gonna get pushed and pulled from all directions. Here's the new boss, same as the old boss. Or maybe worse?
    Last edited by Barry; 08-09-2013 at 01:14 PM.

28. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

29. TopTop #46
    Richard Nichols

Sarah Gurney is about to announce her intention to accept the Governors appointment, and run for the seat next year, all of this assuming Carrillo will be out of office, and that the fix isn't in already on the appointment.

Thanks again, Shepherd, for letting those of us who rarely do research know our options....

30. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

31. TopTop #47
    Valley Oak

I'd rather have Ernie Carpenter over "Manure Man" any day.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by tomcat: View Post
    My only interaction with Ernie Carpenter left a bad taste in my ballot box.
    Last edited by Barry; 08-09-2013 at 01:15 PM.

32. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

33. TopTop #48
    jbox

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Richard Nichols: View Post
    Sarah Gurney is about to announce her intention to accept the Governors appointment, and run for the seat next year, all of this assuming Carrillo will be out of office, and that the fix isn't in already on the appointment.
    I would also like to announce my intention to accept the Governor's appointment.

34. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

35. TopTop #49
    Glia

Anyone who thinks that Gov. Jerry Brown and/or the Calif state legislature gives a rat's ass about what we want is either naive or nuts.

I would also like to announce my intention to accept the Governor's appointment.

36. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

37. TopTop #50
    maryr45

Excuse me, let's not forget Maddy Hirshfield. Maddy has fought for labor unions and the environment of Sonoma County a long time! If there is a gubernatorial appointment Maddy should be considered:
    https://www.smartvoter.org/2008/06/0...m/endorse.html

Maddy was the third highest vote getter for the 5th District in 2008, has represented us as Assemblyman Chesbo's District director for many years, and has the support of North Bay Labor.

38. Gratitude expressed by:

39. TopTop #51
    meherc
    Supporting member

Feh

Quote Posted in reply to the post by maryr45: View Post
    Excuse me, let's not forget Maddy Hirshfield. Maddy has fought for labor unions and the environment of Sonoma County a long time! If there is a gubernatorial appointment Maddy should be considered:
    https://www.smartvoter.org/2008/06/0...m/endorse.html

Maddy was the third highest vote getter for the 5th District in 2008, has represented us as Assemblyman Chesbo's District director for many years, and has the support of North Bay Labor.
    Marilyn Meshak Herczog, EA

40. Gratitude expressed by:

41. TopTop #52
    tommy

pretty cynical post.

I do not think this is true.

Don't you know the nature of politics?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Glia: View Post
    Anyone who thinks that Gov. Jerry Brown and/or the Calif state legislature gives a rat's ass about what we want is either naive or nuts.

42. TopTop #53
    Valley Oak

"All politics is local," hence, our supervisors, like Carrillo, are important.

"All politics is local"

Hyperlink, above, is from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

The phrase, "All politics is local" is a common phrase in U.S. politics. The former Speaker of the U.S. House Tip O'Neill coined this phrase, which encapsulates the principle that a politician's success is directly tied to his ability to understand and influence the issues of his constituents. Politicians must appeal to the simple, mundane and everyday concerns of those who elect them into office. Those personal issues, rather than big and intangible ideas, are often what voters care most about, according to this principle. Politicians often use this against one another, as well, to hit each other where it hurts most—back at home—rather than on the floor of Congress. The concept is contrary to the notion that most people, somehow, in local elections are casting votes to "send a message" to the highest levels; instead, the principle predicts that most people will not vote for local politicians simply as a means to act on feelings about higher politicians, such as concerns about a current U.S. President. The prediction is that most people who vote, or debate issues, are focused on resolving their local issues.

Example
    -------------------
    During the 1982 Congressional elections, O'Neill's seat was challenged by Massachusetts lawyer Frank McNamara, who had financed most of his campaign with money from oil interests in Oklahoma and Texas. Voters in Massachusetts, plagued by oil prices and a poor economy for many years, felt no love for McNamara and his oil money and instead mocked him as he announced his candidacy on the steps of the US Capitol.
    Later during those elections, O'Neill introduced a $1-billion jobs bill to the table. House Republican Leader Robert H. Michel of Peoria, Illinois opposed the bill, but O'Neill delivered an address broadcast in Peoria that showed how many infrastructure problems in Peoria would be fixed by the bill. "By hitting his rival where he lived, O'Neill translated a wholesale debate over national economic policy to the local, retail level" (Matthews 53).

Quote Posted in reply to the post by tommy: View Post
    pretty cynical post.

I do not think this is true.

Don't you know the nature of politics?

43. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

44. TopTop #54
    peacetree

For me the truly disturbing thing is that everyone seems to have convicted Efren Carillo without any sort of trial. Has no one out here ever heard of innocent until proved guilty as a concept??I had the silly illusion that this area had some more substantive understanding of these issues and was as a group more informed about the usefulness of substance abuse treatment and education. The other , and for me, really awful thing to see is how little understanding and education folks seem to have about the idea of alcoholism and addiction as an actual medical condition, one that requires treatment. I do not think anyone who is in the position of needing treatment for this condition is in any position to be making public statements about it, anymore than anyone else would be who has a serious medical condition. I am not saying this to excuse any sort of lapse that might have taken place while under the influence, if that is what happened. I am just trying to suggest folks push the pause button on this public rush to judgment.For an area that seems to present itself as being more openminded , liberal and forward thinking, this whole response seems sadly backward,opportunistic, and meanspirited. Come on folks, where is the greater, compassionate, and kinder spirit within you all???
    Someone once said," let he ( or she) who is without fault among you cast the first stone"....... remember?????
    Peace, Christmas Leubrie

45. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

46. TopTop #55
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Peacetree, your statement here is wrong, in my opinion:

" I do not think anyone who is in the position of needing treatment for this condition is in any position to be making public statements about it, anymore than anyone else would be who has a serious medical condition."

I think that one who has an alcohol problem, or any other "serious medical condition," usually has much more knowledge about it than anyone else (except maybe a doctor). I would be much more likely to believe what a recovering alcoholic has to say about his problem than what any well-educated and well-meaning non-addict/alcoholic has to say.

Sara

47. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

48. TopTop #56
    Shepherd

I echo what Sara says below. Furthermore, it is suspicious that Mr. Carrillo was taken by his handlers the day after his arrest to some unknown place. It seems as if they already had that escape route and explanation available, since he has an established pattern of mis-conduct. Mr. Carrillo's admitted alcoholism is not a new issue. It has surfaced before in admitted scuffles that he has had. Such an addiction does not go away easily. In fact, his treatment has been extended for an undetermined time. We quickly need a 5th District representative.

We already do know many important facts: He so scared a young woman that she called 911 twice for help, fearing that a man would break into her house. It is hard to imagine the pressure that is now on that woman. Or other women who have had similar things happen to them. This is not Mr. Carrillo's first arrest or encounter with the police. I think we should be more concerned with his victim and the trauma that he has brought into our lives than with this one mis-behaving man.

Whatever plea agreement his expensive lawyer is able to manage, Mr. Carrillo will never be trusted again by many of us, including those who voted for and like him. He has a dark cloud over his head. The appropriate thing to do, in my opinion and in that of the unions that represent 60,000 workers, and other groups and individuals is that Mr. Carrillo make a full and public apology for this clearly inappropriate actions, express genuine remorse, and resign gracefully. If he is rehabilitated, then he could possibly return to public service. The longer he stays, the more ugly and divisive this matter will get.

Mr. Carrillo took an oath when elected, as I took an oath when I joined the armed forces. He has violated his responsibility to the public. He has a public, as well as a personal responsibility, which he is no longer exercising.

Peacetree, your statement here is wrong, in my opinion:

" I do not think anyone who is in the position of needing treatment for this condition is in any position to be making public statements about it, anymore than anyone else would be who has a serious medical condition."

I think that one who has an alcohol problem, or any other "serious medical condition," usually has much more knowledge about it than anyone else (except maybe a doctor). I would be much more likely to believe what a recovering alcoholic has to say about his problem than what any well-educated and well-meaning non-addict/alcoholic has to say.

Sara

49. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

50. TopTop #57
    patnicholson
    Supporting Member

there isn't going to be a trial

Quote Posted in reply to the post by peacetree: View Post
    For me the truly disturbing thing is that everyone seems to have convicted Efren Carrillo without any sort of trial....

51. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

52. TopTop #58
    Ice Queen

What a very small mind you have Shepherd.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    I echo what Sara says below. Furthermore, it is suspicious that Mr. Carrillo was taken by his handlers the day after his arrest to some unknown place. ...

53. TopTop #59
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Efren was charged with the misdemeanor of "peeking" today. I have started a new thread called "Efren charged with "misdemeanor peeking" in General Community to discuss this. I am closing this thread.