Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Hotspring 44

Stop 29 Palms Marine base expansion. Keep public lands open.

URL: https://wh.gov/E8c3

The wording of petition:
    Quote With utmost respect for our nation’s military and national defense, we request our government deny any request by the US Marines to acquire 140K acres of public land designated for OHV use in Johnson Valley, CA for the purpose of expanding the 29 Palms Marine base. Expanding the world’s largest Marine base will cost tax payers millions and the Marines have publicly stated the land is only needed 2 months a year. Economic reports show neighboring communities and small businesses could lose $100 Million annually due to base expansion. The Marines current expansion plan is unnecessary and fiscally irresponsible. We request our government encourage the Marines to work with the public and obtain permits from the BLM to meet training objectives instead of closing this land to the public forever.

Created: Jan 15, 2013
    I signed this petition.
    I think that we do not need to further expand the largest military ("world’s largest Marine base") here in CA and ultimately that would be a permanent (forever) closure of the grounds to the public.
    Even if you don't particularly like OHV's, please consider signing this petition anyway because, for one thing; there would be more OHV traffic in other areas including the forested areas in CA.
    If you like or use OHV's on public land, the reason to sign this pitition is obvious.

I don't have and never had an OHV but I do like to go remote camping and that public use of that BLM land that is available now would also be permanently closed and cease to exist.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

3. TopTop #2
    theindependenteye

Re: Stop 29 Palms Marine base expansion. Keep public lands open.

About fifteen years ago, I did a vision quest in that area, all night on a mini-mesa watching the stars wheel between dusk and dawn. It changed my life. The desert has so much to give and teach about life, living, and endurance. The idea that yet again something like this might be snatched away and stuffed into the maw of the military is soul-wrenching. We have already devastated the birthplace of Inanna and contaminated her ground for generations to come. Must we mirror this at home? -- Elizabeth Fuller
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

4. Gratitude expressed by: