Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Hotspring 44

Stop The Diablo Canyon Seismic Testing Project

I signed the petition because I think all CA coastal nuclear power plants are too risky as they are now, particularly now in light of the Fukushima disaster in Japan and also we the taxpayers have too much liability whereas the share holders of the power companies and their insurers (insurers' which I believe don't exist because there is too much financial exposure insuring them in the first place) either won't or are not capable of covering their potential liability so, therefore it is to much risk to even consider the extension of the permits for the aged nuclear power plants in the first place so, it in my way of thinking; is a moot point to do the proposed testing in the first place.
    The lifespan for safe operation of those power plants was stated by the designers and engineers of those power plants to be about 40 years. That was before discovering the previously, supposed, unknown, vulnerabilities of a magnitude > 9 as we did after the Fukushima disaster which then uncovered to the general public that which is well known and is documented at this point in time.

Also I am not in favor the proposed testing because of the harmful effect it would have on sensitive marine wildlife to do the seismic testing for the primary purpose of continuing and or building new nuclear power generators in the first place.

Petition: by tobey crockett Cambria, CA

from change.org website:
    Halt the Central Coastal California Seismic Imaging Project

Petition URL:
    https://www.change.org/petitions/hal...-project#share

The following within the quote margins is according to (and copied from) the change.org website:

"This petition will be delivered to:

Michael Payne NOAA Fisheries,
    Cassidy Teufel California Coastal Commission,
    Becky Ota California Department of Fish and Game,
    Holly Smith National Science Foundation,
    Meagan Cummings Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory,
    Rick Farris U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service."

“The goal of the seismic imaging project is to attempt to measure the three major earthquake fault lines which run along our coast.
    The existence of these fault lines, especially after the continuing disaster at Fukushima, Japan, call into question the advisability of maintaining the Diablo Canyon nuclear power facility, operating near Avila.

The proposed testing will do nothing to prevent an earthquake on any of these fault lines.
    The tests will instead produce a large amount of data about dangers that we cannot avoid when these earthquakes occur.

Here is how the environmental impact report for the project describes it:
    “The offshore component of the Project would consist of operating a geophysical survey 29 vessel, its associated survey equipment, and support/monitoring vessels . … The survey would be conducted along the central coast from approximately Cambria to Guadalupe (including marine protected areas around Cambria and elsewhere). … 18 active air guns ... would discharge once every 15 to 20 seconds.”

In other words, huge underwater cannons would blast ear-shattering sounds under the water in an area from Guadalupe to Marin County. (These same measures are used to search for offshore oil reserves — coincidence?)
    The environmental impact report indicates these tests would kill or injure marine mammals, including seals, dolphins, whales and otters. They could make them go deaf which would mean a lingering death.

Already depleted fishing resources would be impacted. Seabirds would be affected as well, with little or no way of mitigating the impacts. Migratory birds would be affected as the tests would go on 24 hours a day and lights at night would be required. Air quality would be impacted and the project would contribute to climate change.

The ocean is our most precious resource. If the life of the ocean does not matter then neither do our lives. Some few persons stand to make lots of money from this outrageous project. PG&E will pass on the costs to us, the consumers. We and all life in the ocean and the land around us stand to lose. And for what?

The project will not prevent the next earthquake. And if it happens and Diablo crashes, so do we.
    Think of the economic impact of such a disaster.

A recent issue of The Economist has on its front cover a statement that says the dream of nuclear power has become a nightmare.
    It is time to put our resources into safe energy and abandon nuclear power. Please sign this petition.
    FOR LATEST INFORMATION PLEASE GO TO STOP THE DIABLO CANYON SEISMIC TESTING PROJECT AT
    https://www.facebook.com/StopTheDiab...SeismicTesting”
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    Moon

Re: Stop The Diablo Canyon Seismic Testing Project

I've sent the following email to Habitat Protection at NOAA:
    I'm writing to express great concern over the proposal to measure the three major earthquake fault lines running along
    our (California's) coast by firing off 18 active air guns every 15 to 20 seconds. That procedure would kill many marine
    mammals and deafen many others, which would lead to a lingering death by starvation; it would also harm marine
    birds, since lights would be on all night. I hope NOAA will reconsider carrying out the project at all, and if the agency
    does go ahead with it, I ask that you not do so until you can find some way
    to sequester at least the mammals whose habitat it would harm.
    Thank you for your time and consideration.

Aha--before i could even get this posted, i got a bounce message, despite using the address the NOAA's site gives for its Habitat Protection office, so i guess i'll just include it with my signature on the petition.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Hotspring 44: View Post
    I signed the petition because I think all CA coastal nuclear power plants are too risky as they are now, particularly now in light of the Fukushima disaster in Japan and also we the taxpayers have too much liability whereas the share holders of the power companies and their insurers (insurers' which I believe don't exist because there is too much financial exposure insuring them in the first place) either won't or are not capable of covering their potential liability so, therefore it is to much risk to even consider the extension of the permits for the aged nuclear power plants in the first place so, it in my way of thinking; is a moot point to do the proposed testing in the first place.
    The lifespan for safe operation of those power plants was stated by the designers and engineers of those power plants to be about 40 years. That was before discovering the previously, supposed, unknown, vulnerabilities of a magnitude > 9 as we did after the Fukushima disaster which then uncovered to the general public that which is well known and is documented at this point in time.

Also I am not in favor the proposed testing because of the harmful effect it would have on sensitive marine wildlife to do the seismic testing for the primary purpose of continuing and or building new nuclear power generators in the first place.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-14-2012 at 05:09 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email