Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Karl Frederick

A cautionary tale re USPS PO Box Fees

I have liked our Post Office in Sebastopol. The employees here are generally friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful. AND, they do have some inflexible systems. Two days ago (Weds, July 11th, in the early afternoon) I opened my PO box for the first time in about two weeks, and found a strange piece of cardboard wedged into the back. A window clerk advised that the box was closed and was scheduled to have a new lock installed that same day (the person doing the installing was on lunch break). There had been no mail in the box when they closed it. If I wanted to keep the box, there would be an additional $15 fee.

I explained that I had not received a reminder about the box fee, although had, prior to the last time, in December, 2011. I did not remember for how long I had renewed the box, and had assumed that it must have been for a year, since I hadn't received a 6-month renewal advisory or bill. The clerk could do nothing about the fee (which I thought unfair, especially since I was there before the PO had actually incurred the lock change expense). When I asked for a higher authority, the clerk did tell me who I could take the question up with, and where I could find her . . . across the street st the annex.

So, I walked over to the Petaluma Ave facility, where a supervisor listened to my story, took my telephone number, and said she'd take the question up with a person (Carol) whom I assumed was the postmaster.

Today, (Friday, July 13th) around 1:00 PM, the supervisor called me and advised their records showed that a reminder notice and a bill had been put into my PO box, and they were unwilling to waive the $15.00 fee. I advised her I'd let the box go.

SO, keep your own reminders of when your PO Box fee is due. Don't rely on receiving notices from the PO staff. You will encounter a $15.00 fee to reinstate if you try to do it more than 10 days after the end of the current paid period.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Scottyd

Re: A cautionary tale re USPS PO Box Fees

Hi Karl, The federal government is almost inflexible by definition. My suggestion is to set up the autopay option so your P.O. box is renewed automatically. I don't like autopay and I must admit it is the best solution I've found to minimize the friction I too have experienced around P.O box renewals.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Karl Frederick: View Post
    I have liked our Post Office in Sebastopol. The employees here are generally friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful. AND, they do have some inflexible systems. Two days ago (Weds, July 11th, in the early afternoon) I opened my PO box for the first time in about two weeks, and found a strange piece of cardboard wedged into the back. A window clerk advised that the box was closed and was scheduled to have a new lock installed that same day (the person doing the installing was on lunch break). There had been no mail in the box when they closed it. If I wanted to keep the box, there would be an additional $15 fee.

I explained that I had not received a reminder about the box fee, although had, prior to the last time, in December, 2011. I did not remember for how long I had renewed the box, and had assumed that it must have been for a year, since I hadn't received a 6-month renewal advisory or bill. The clerk could do nothing about the fee (which I thought unfair, especially since I was there before the PO had actually incurred the lock change expense). When I asked for a higher authority, the clerk did tell me who I could take the question up with, and where I could find her . . . across the street st the annex.

So, I walked over to the Petaluma Ave facility, where a supervisor listened to my story, took my telephone number, and said she'd take the question up with a person (Carol) whom I assumed was the postmaster.

Today, (Friday, July 13th) around 1:00 PM, the supervisor called me and advised their records showed that a reminder notice and a bill had been put into my PO box, and they were unwilling to waive the $15.00 fee. I advised her I'd let the box go.

SO, keep your own reminders of when your PO Box fee is due. Don't rely on receiving notices from the PO staff. You will encounter a $15.00 fee to reinstate if you try to do it more than 10 days after the end of the current paid period.

3. TopTop #3
    gypsey

For $18 a month, you can rent a box at AIM mail center in the Redwood shopping center (next to Exchange bank.) You will be communicated with reliably and you can also if you choose, avail yourself of all the other services they offer. I have been a customer since 2002 and really appreciate the great service.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Karl Frederick: View Post

4. TopTop #4
    Glia

the USPS has an online post office box management system available at USPS.com; it allows you to do everything related to billing, making payments, and even closing the box when you are done. They send email renewal reminders and you can set up automatic payments if you want. If you are able to access and post on Waccobb, then you should be good to go for the online post office box management facility.

Now they offer a "mail preview" service in which the OUTSIDE of your mail is photographed, then the image is sent to you by email so you know if something important is waiting in the PO Box.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Scottyd: View Post
    Hi Karl, The federal government is almost inflexible by definition. My suggestion is to set up the autopay option so your P.O. box is renewed automatically. I don't like autopay and I must admit it is the best solution I've found to minimize the friction I too have experienced around P.O box renewals.

5. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: