Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    prana

Movement to Keep Downtown Sebastopol Stores Locally Owned

In light of the return proposal from CVS/Chase, I am urgently reminded of my desire to be proactive in keeping them and the likes out of Sebastopol. I am interested in helping to draft a resolution that would limit what kind of development is allowed in the downtown core. I was told that Cotati adopted a resolution along these lines quite a few years ago. There are many other small towns that tell chain stores where they can or cannot set up camp, and it seems that it would not be too difficult to re-word their ordinances to create our own.

Is there any movement currently happening on this front? If so, or if you would like to work together to get something in front of the City Council, please reply ASAP. peace...
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Bird Watcher

Re: Keeping Downtown Sebastopol Stores Locally Owned

But what IS this "better"? When is the answer to a currently unaesthetic vacant property along a major traffic corridor coming forward that has superior ingress/egress issues? No entity has stepped up to offer a different business or plan. Do you wonder why?

[In full disclosure, I'm not in favor of trading CVS from one city-limits location to another; and I am definitively against drive-up anything. Motors should be shut off after 30 seconds, period, unless you're in traffic lanes.]

I have to wonder if many of those car trips suggested in the studies wouldn't already be passing along the Hwy 12 and 116 corridors... Many folks (and remember that most live outside of city limits, they're just passing through) plan their errands for the least amount of hassle; that is, they plan them for the right turn into a parking lot (and out again) instead of a left turn across traffic. I know I do.

My other point is about chains. Remember that Copperfield's is a chain. But it's locally owned. So be careful about how you lob that word into the conversation.

My last comment: Re: DRB member Beauchamp's mention of "It is still...a box, a boxy building." Aren't most buildings boxy by their very nature? Let's be real.

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

5. TopTop #3
    AJL

I recall Calistoga has such an ordinance and modified it to have wording about the size of chain so small companies like Copperfield could survive while big chains like Jack in the box could not open on main street in Calistoga.
    It seems to me like a beautiful merge from 116 to 12 at that corner could be a big help flow wise. Maybe there is a way to connect the corner lot with the multi use trail nearby.
    Looking at where people and cars mostly could go to enjoy the area first if the whole thing was public space, and then design buildings with appropriate use - educational eco-store esoteric energy example exercise edifice?

Just my casual 2 cents. Chains certainly have their place.
    I wonder how the nay sayers would feel if Trader Joe wanted to put a perfect design on this corner.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by prana: View Post
    In light of the return proposal from CVS/Chase, I am urgently reminded of my desire to be proactive in keeping them and the likes out of Sebastopol. I am interested in helping to draft a resolution that would limit what kind of development is allowed in the downtown core. I was told that Cotati adopted a resolution along these lines quite a few years ago. There are many other small towns that tell chain stores where they can or cannot set up camp, and it seems that it would not be too difficult to re-word their ordinances to create our own.

Is there any movement currently happening on this front? If so, or if you would like to work together to get something in front of the City Council, please reply ASAP. peace...

6. Gratitude expressed by:

7. TopTop #4
    prana

I would like to rename this thread that I started: "Movement to Keep Downtown Sebastopol Stores Locally Owned." It would be much appreciated if the banter about the Pellini site specifically went back to its appropriate thread: "CVS/Chase development proposal." Thanks y'all!

8. TopTop #5
    Big Bob

I'm not advocating one way or the other on this subject. (regardless of what "Attic" says)
    If Helen Shane and any others of you feel that corporate businesses are inappropriate for our community then you have the right to begin whatever process is appropriate to change the rules. I'm not familiar with the process for creating new ordinances, but I'm pretty sure it is not done through the Design Review of a building project. I object to rabid obstructionism. If changes of this or any other type are created through the appropriate processes, then they can be done in a positive way by the whole community working together. I support positive change when the community as a whole (or at least the majority) supports that change.

I would like to rename this thread that I started: "Movement to Keep Downtown Sebastopol Stores Locally Owned." It would be much appreciated if the banter about the Pellini site specifically went back to its appropriate thread: "CVS/Chase development proposal." Thanks y'all!
    Last edited by Barry; 05-21-2012 at 05:16 PM.

9. Gratitude expressed by:

10. TopTop #6
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Movement to Keep Downtown Sebastopol Stores Locally Owned

Done!

I think the original intention of this thread is a very good idea and very important!

You can regulate big box stores easily by size, but chains that don't require lots of square footage are more problematic. Drive thrus could also be easily regulated. Any other ideas?

11. TopTop #7
    beshiva

Chase, chase, chase it all away!!! Chase chase.....chase cvs....chase it till it runs away with it's tail between it's legs......

Quote Posted in reply to the post by big bob: View Post
    i'm not advocating one way or the other on this subject. (regardless of what "attic" says)
    if helen shane and any others of you feel that corporate businesses are inappropriate for our community then you have the right to begin whatever process is appropriate to change the rules. I'm not familiar with the process for creating new ordinances, but i'm pretty sure it is not done through the design review of a building project. I object to rabid obstructionism. If changes of this or any other type are created through the appropriate processes, then they can be done in a positive way by the whole community working together. I support positive change when the community as a whole (or at least the majority) supports that change.

12. TopTop #8
    Imagery

Quote Posted in reply to the post by beshiva: View Post
    Chase, chase, chase it all away!!! Chase chase.....chase cvs....chase it till it runs away with it's tail between it's legs......
    Simple. Follow their marketing advice as given in their advertising.

Chase what matters.

If it matters to you that the evil gets moved out of town, then CHASE them out of town.

13. Gratitude expressed by: