Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Shake

New cell phone tower!!!

Great news for all us Cingular customers with no service between Sebastopol and Forestville (incl. Graton) on Hwy 116. Sprint has installed a new tower near the corner of Hwy 116 and Vine Hill Rd. It is one of those fake trees, and looks as though it is almost finished.

I'll let you know when it's done and we can all switch to Sprint.

John
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    kazooboy

Re: New cell phone tower!!!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shake:
    Great news for all us Cingular customers with no service between Sebastopol and Forestville (incl. Graton) on Hwy 116. Sprint has installed a new tower near the corner of Hwy 116 and Vine Hill Rd. It is one of those fake trees, and looks as though it is almost finished.

John
    My experience w/ Sprint PCS in Eastbania several years ago prompted me to do some research. I concluded that Sprint spends LOTS of $$$ making the most entertaining and seductive TeeVee advertisements, but once they get you signed up, do not give a tinker's damn whether or not they provide you w/ good service. They basically have too many customers to be accomodated by their "network" capabilities.
    Try Googling "Sprint Sucks" for some interesting horror stories.
    "caveat emptor" "forwarned is forarmed"
    Just my two cents worth-- Kazooboy

3. TopTop #3
    agentwahine

or, you can do the absolutely most positive thing with this news....you can use Working Assets wireless which uses Sprint's towers....and a percentage of each bill goes to various and sundry progressive causes. you will feel good about every call you make!

John

4. TopTop #4
    Dixon

I just wanna second that emotion. I've been using Working Assets long distance for years and they're great. It's nice to know that when I pay my monthly bill, I'm supporting various good causes in some small way.
    Working Assets deserves our business.

Dixon

Quote Posted in reply to the post by agentwahine:
    or, you can do the absolutely most positive thing with this news....you can use Working Assets wireless which uses Sprint's towers....and a percentage of each bill goes to various and sundry progressive causes. you will feel good about every call you make!

5. TopTop #5
    bobafifi

Re: New cell phone tower!!! (re: Working Assets)

I was with Working Assets until about six years ago. At the time, I was making a fair amount of calls to London @ around $1.00 per minute. One night, I was watching a TV show and they mentioned a web site that listed phone companies for long distance. I checked it out and found Broadwing charging only $0.08 a minute to call London! I called Working Assets about it and they told me that I could get a better rate with a different plan - though they were still nowhere near as cheap as Broadwing - so I switched. Been happily with Broadwing ever since. Also, now that Skype is offering free calls to any land or cell phone to the end of the year, I use that most of the time.

-Bob

6. TopTop #6
    Dixon

Re: New cell phone tower!!! (re: Working Assets)

I was endorsing Working Assets not on the assumption that it's the cheapest service (I haven't compared the prices), but because of the considerable good they do for progressive causes--plus I've never had any problems with their service.

Another good option could be to save $ by going with one of the cheaper options Bob mentions, then donate some or all of what you save to some good cause of your choice.

Just trying to come up with relatively painless ways to share the "wealth".

Dixon

Quote Posted in reply to the post by bobafifi:
    I was with Working Assets until about six years ago. At the time, I was making a fair amount of calls to London @ around $1.00 per minute. One night, I was watching a TV show and they mentioned a web site that listed phone companies for long distance. I checked it out and found Broadwing charging only $0.08 a minute to call London! I called Working Assets about it and they told me that I could get a better rate with a different plan - though they were still nowhere near as cheap as Broadwing - so I switched. Been happily with Broadwing ever since. Also, now that Skype is offering free calls to any land or cell phone to the end of the year, I use that most of the time.

-Bob

7. TopTop #7
    bobafifi

Re: New cell phone tower!!! (Working Assets)

Hi Dixon,

I think what irked me the most back then was that Working Assets didn't seem to care that they were charging me over 10x as much as Broadwing, that is - until I told them I was considering leaving. Only then did they inform me of their "cheaper" plans - but even those were still nowhere near what Broadwing was offering. I did consider Working Assets donations to good causes - it was one of the main reasons I signed up with them in the first place. However, after several years and seeing what amounted to only a small fraction of those dollars actually going to said causes I decided I'd give Broadwing a try and am glad I did - they've been great!

As I said earlier, mostly I use Skype these days for calls from home (use a Logitech headset which I got at BestBuy in Santa Rosa for about $50) and my cell phone everywhere else.

-Bob

8. TopTop #8
    hbruhner

I have had Cingular for a long time and it does not work very well at my office in Forestville. It seems to work OK in Sebastopol now and a few months ago it started working really well in Graton. I only seem to go to Graton for lunch so I don't need to use the cell phone much.......

John

9. TopTop #9
    Valley Oak

Now that I've gotten involved with switching from ATT to Broadwing for my long distance carrier, I am also investigating who I could best swith to for my local/connection phone company.

From what I understand, the following five companies offer local/connection service in our area:
    Bell South
    Qwest
    Sprint
    Verizon
    ATT

I read that both ATT and Verizon give information to the Feds regarding phone calls and audio content of the same, as well as the ID of the callers. I will avoid doing business with either one.

Please offer input on any part of my email.

Thank you,

Edward

Quote Posted in reply to the post by hbruhner:
    I have had Cingular for a long time and it does not work very well at my office in Forestville. It seems to work OK in Sebastopol now and a few months ago it started working really well in Graton. I only seem to go to Graton for lunch so I don't need to use the cell phone much.......