Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Mannaray

Strange Low Frequency Hum

Last Thursday night (February 16) at around 11:00 PM, I noticed a sound similar to a diesel engine idling that wouldn't quit. I found it very disturbing and after checking around the neighborhood and my own property for hours, I concluded there was no detectable source. I even went to another neighborhood to a friend's house with the prospect of being able to sleep, but low and behold the same low, rumbling frequency was there as well. The following day I went online after being told about a phenomenon called the "Taos Hum." Apparently people in Taos, New Mexico as well as others around the world who are very sensitive can hear this "hum," which many believe originates from the government or the Navy signaling submarines.

If there are those who have heard a persistent, low hum of this nature, please offer your comments/info here.

Thank you, Mannaray
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

3. TopTop #2
    CSummer

Re: Strange Low Frequency Hum

Yes, I've read that VLF (very low frequency) signals have been or are being used for underwater communication and atmospheric research (the HAARP program - scroll down or search 'VLF'). I don't think I've heard such sounds, but it does seem possible that something nearby might be acting to convert these signals to audible pressure waves. Such sounds can be rather disturbing.

CSummer

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Mannaray: View Post
    Last Thursday night (February 16) at around 11:00 PM, I noticed a sound similar to a diesel engine idling that wouldn't quit. I found it very disturbing and after checking around the neighborhood and my own property for hours, I concluded there was no detectable source. I even went to another neighborhood to a friend's house with the prospect of being able to sleep, but low and behold the same low, rumbling frequency was there as well. The following day I went online after being told about a phenomenon called the "Taos Hum." Apparently people in Taos, New Mexico as well as others around the world who are very sensitive can hear this "hum," which many believe originates from the government or the Navy signaling submarines.

If there are those who have heard a persistent, low hum of this nature, please offer your comments/info here.

Thank you, Mannaray

4. TopTop #3
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Re: Strange Low Frequency Hum

Sorry, but I can't help chiming in here, somewhat off topic, to say that I've heard Taos Hum and they're great! They are/were my favorite "little band" though they broke up years ago, but re-united a year or so ago for a birthday party for a fan. They are/were extraordinarily strong players that have mostly gone on to more commercially viable projects. They provided the soundtrack to a rather formative period of my life.

OK, back on topic, the band above provided a very informative link on their website about the other Taos Hum:
    https://www.eskimo.com/~billb/hum/hum.html
    It's well worth a gander if you are interested in the topic.