Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

This Land is .............

from delancyplace.com:

In today's encore excerpt - in the wake of the Great Depression and the Dust Bowl,
    folk singer Woody Guthrie wrote the song "This Land is Your Land," a satire and
    protest against what he saw as the unrealistic vision of Irving Berlin's "God Bless
    America." It was originally titled "God Bless America for Me," and the original
    chorus used that line instead of "this land was made for you and me." Guthrie, who
    was later an inspiration for Bob Dylan, eventually deleted two verses, perhaps because
    he knew he couldn't get the song published otherwise - one that lamented the lack
    of help provided by America's churches for the poor, and the other his protest against
    the idea of private property (read those verses below):
    "Folk music's hero was, of course, Woody Guthrie. Guthrie led by example, not by
    precepts, although his charisma and songwriting skills gave him a certain messianic
    quality. ... Musicians simply followed Guthrie. He was a journeyman, traveling across
    the United States to learn traditional folk and blues songs, trailing migrant workers
    from Oklahoma to California. Guthrie's observations of the economic and environmental
    hardships of the Dust Bowl era inspired him to write his own lyrics about working
    people, which he set to traditional folk music.
    "Topical songwriting as defined by Guthrie meant chronicling a plane crash of migrant
    workers soon after it happened, with politics giving the lament implicit meaning.
    'I am out to sing the songs that make you take pride in yourself and in your work,'
    said Guthrie - a goal that would impact his most popular song, 'This Land Is Your
    Land,' a response to Irving Berlin's 'God Bless America.' Guthrie's original 1944
    version contained two recriminatory verses, but he later killed them to preserve
    the wholly patriotic tone of the version that went on to become an American songbook
    classic. His songs told the truth - as long as it was an uplifting truth.
    "In the late 1950s, growing pools of folksingers in Cambridge and Greenwich Village
    took Guthrie's lead and focused on the issues of the day, especially civil rights.
    Though all these musicians knew and admired Guthrie, the one to seek him out in
    his declining years at the Greystone Hospital in Morristown, New Jersey, was Bob
    Dylan. Dylan idolized Guthrie, calling him 'the true voice of the American Spirit'
    - indeed, Guthrie is one of the few subjects Dylan does not obfuscate in his memoir
    Chronicles. When Dylan first hit the coffeehouse scene in New York in 1961, he could
    be accurately introduced onstage as a 'young folksinger' who 'sang a lot of Woody's
    tunes.' In those days, a musician was presented with a body of songs, or 'rebel
    ballads,' as Dylan liked to call them, so authoritative that it took real ingenuity
    even to think beyond them."
    The original last two verses of "This Land is Your Land":
    In the squares of the city, In the shadow of a steeple;
    By the relief office, I'd seen my people.
    As they stood there hungry, I stood there asking,
    Is this land made for you and me?
    As I went walking, I saw a sign there,
    And on the sign there, It said "no trespassing." [In another version, the sign reads
    "Private Property"]
    But on the other side, it didn't say nothing!
    That side was made for you and me.
    Author: Michelle Mercer
    Title: Will You Take Me As I Am
    Publisher: Free Press
    Date: Copyright 2009 by Michelle Mercer
    Pages: 34-35
    Will You Take Me As I Am: Joni Mitchell's Blue Period
    by Michelle Mercer by Free Press
    Hardcover
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by: