Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    eggplant

Seeking advice on mold problem

I have a small house, 1,000 sq. ft. with a mold problem in the bedroom closets. The house is located on the ground floor, built in 1950 with blown-in insulation. Has anyone had any success in removing mold with the use of a dehumidifier or air purifier? If so, any recommendations? Thanks for any input. Eggplant
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    CSummer

Re: Seeking advice on mold problem

My observation is that mold grows where there is enough moisture to support its growth. Heat and air circulation usually prevent it. If the closets are next to a bathroom, there might be a problem with moisture migrating through the walls. Improving ventilation of the bathroom might help.

Any strong cleaning product will usually remove surface mold, and long ago I heard that an application of water with vinegar will prevent further growth (don't know if that's true). If the mold has penetrated the sheetrock, it might be necessary to have it replaced.

CSummer

Quote Posted in reply to the post by eggplant: View Post
    I have a small house, 1,000 sq. ft. with a mold problem in the bedroom closets. The house is located on the ground floor, built in 1950 with blown-in insulation. Has anyone had any success in removing mold with the use of a dehumidifier or air purifier? If so, any recommendations? Thanks for any input. Eggplant

3. TopTop #3

Mold in the home is very harmful to your health.

Keeping it dry will help, but won't cure it. The source must be removed by professionals. Borax, or Boric Acid is the only thing which wipes out mold at it roots. Bleach is very bad for the user and environment.

4. TopTop #4
    rossmen

closets are one place where mold, which is natures first line decomposer, plays with our human need to preserve all that is ours. air, heat, vinegar, borax, rebuilding, or bleach are all strategies to push back and all have their place depending. one long term preventative choice is a lightbulb in the lowest corner, the old kind work best. can be a fire hazard!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Peace Voyager: View Post
    Mold in the home is very harmful to your health.

Keeping it dry will help, but won't cure it. The source must be removed by professionals. Borax, or Boric Acid is the only thing which wipes out mold at it roots. Bleach is very bad for the user and environment.

5. TopTop #5
    jbox

Quote Posted in reply to the post by eggplant: View Post
    I have found that the use of a dehumidifier is a very effective way to stop mold from growing. If the relative humidity is low enough mold doesn't grow. The exceptions are if there is established mold inside walls or if there is an existing water or roof leak that leads to increased humidity. You also should use heat at least at some point during the day and have some ventilation to the outside such as a window open 1". If the problem persists in the closets only you should tear out the sheetrock, thoroughly clean the stud cavities, kill the mold with bleach (sorry. Peace Voyager) and replace insulation and re-rock.