Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Ophelia

Sebastopol Residents Walking for World Peace

Enjoy this video diary of friends and neighbors sharing their Light and Love! https://earthspiritjourneys.wordpress.com/
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Dixon

Re: Sebastopol Residents Walking for World Peace

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Ophelia: View Post
    Enjoy this video diary of friends and neighbors sharing their Light and Love! https://earthspiritjourneys.wordpress.com/
    Well, I watched the video, but I don't see how walking a labyrinth has anything remotely to do with promoting world peace.

3. TopTop #3
    Ophelia

Thank you for your valid question. As so many unseen things in our world today, the effects of its purpose are not obvious.

Labyrinths and their many design versions have been used for thousands of years by monks, medicine people, sages, mystics and healers to meditate and release troubles from this earthly world to the Higher world. Walking any labyrinth is initially a personal experience. Labyrinths are an energy field that can be scientifically measured. There is a beautiful one at Grace Cathedral in San Francisco. Virtually all religions and cultures across the world use some form a labyrinth and meditative path in their spiritual lives.

The walk into the center of the labyrinth can be looked at as "surrendering or letting go of specific or collective fears, problems, hurts, anything one would like to leave their life.......standing in the center is a moment to breathe, ground, stillness and quiet.....walking out of the labyrinth the feeling or intention is "to claim and integrate all of the potential possible for the new you" (after releasing the old). This all may sound airy fairy to some....yet there is tremendous power in tools such as this and any meditative path one takes. It is all about improving ourselves, individually.

How it works for world peace is that Peace is an internal happening that manifests as an external expression. When we are not a peace and content in our personal life, the world close to us has disturbed and unfulfilled effects on not only us but everyone around us. When our perspective changes on any particular issue or circumstance so do we internally change the energy of responses and thus the return actions/reactions of others.

As each person does their "work" to change and be a better and happier person, the peace of the world, near and far, also changes.......we are the instruments of PEACE.......for one person at a time can suddenly become a peace group.....a peaceful and co-operative community......States of Intra-Communication......and so it goes.

All this is possible and is really happening, not just in Sebastopol but many places in the world. It is often only seen as a glimpse of Light in the middle of war and chaos......yet these examples are more and more obvious and effective these days.

So as the friends and neighbors of Sebastopol and other communities walked the labyrinth, their personal experience of letting go of something and claiming the new, in the spinning vibrational ethers over Sebastopol and beyond, may even help others find their courage and voice to let go and /or claim for themselves, thus expanding the spirals of Peace.

I hope this explanation has helped answer your original question. Thank you for calling it out for as often happens "in familiarity one forgets the innocents of being a beginner and learning something new."

With respect

Ophelia

4. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

5. TopTop #4
    Dixon

Ophelia, thanks for taking the time to compose a thoughtful answer.

I've walked a few labyrinths in my time, too, including the nice one at Grace Cathedral (which itself is a lovely space, visually and acoustically). I can easily believe that labyrinth meditations as with most (all?) forms of meditation, could increase "inner peace", especially when augmented with the appropriate rituals/expectations/social reinforcement.

But when you said "walking for world peace", I interpreted that as meaning peace as opposed to war, i.e., that labyrinth walking would somehow help us stop bombing people, etc., not just "inner peace". Did I misunderstand your intended meaning?

You say, "It is all about improving ourselves, individually." I believe that is true for you. But, should it be all about improving ourselves individually? As far as I can see, no amount of inner peace or similar "self-improvement" among those who walk labyrinths is going to stop our government from waging lucrative wars. Even if we assumed that labyrinth walking makes the walkers less likely to drop bombs, those who are doing the walking are not the same people who are considering doing the bombing. The ones who walk labyrinths are already anti-war before they even start walking. I see no change of the type required to bring about world peace resulting from labyrinth walking or other "spiritual" activities that purport to be for "world peace", such as drumming, chanting, praying, ritualizing, etc. What I mostly see is people telling themselves that they've done the world some good by doing something enjoyable, rather than rolling up their sleeves and doing the dirty work of political organizing, educating, agitating, financially supporting real peace efforts, etc.

In a way, I wish people didn't feel better, more serene, as a result of activities like labyrinth walking. Maybe if we stayed freaked out and pissed off enough, we'd get off our asses and do more real peace-work (and I'm talking to myself here, too). I'm concerned that "inner peace" often means we don't trouble ourselves with empathy for those who are suffering in the latest war or other oppression.

Having come of age during the late 60s, I remember well the shift from attempts at social/political change to a more self-centered navel-gazing, with the human potential movement of the 70s and beyond. There is some value to much of that stuff, but I wish people who are doing self-work such as meditating would refrain from claiming that it's gonna bring world peace. I'm reminded of the phony (disproven) claims made by the TM organization some years ago, that by meditating they had decreased violent crime in the Washington DC area. By all means, enjoy your labyrinth walking (and maybe I'll join you in a walk one of these days), but if you claim that that's somehow bringing about world peace (i.e., stopping wars)--well, you sure haven't given any good reason to believe that.

And if you're not claiming that, well, you can disregard much of what I've just said!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Ophelia: View Post
    Labyrinths are an energy field that can be scientifically measured.
    One more thing: I find your quote above intriguing. Of course, you don't mean it literally; a labyrinth is not an energy field; it is a maze. Presumably you mean that labyrinths have associated with them some sort of energy field (as opposed to the ambient energy we'd find in any area--light, heat, radio waves, etc.). Can you point me to some credible source for that info, or must I dismiss that as just another example of West County woowoo?

Thanks again for your time.
    Love;
    Dixon

6. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

7. TopTop #5
    DynamicBalance

I think that Ophelia and Dixon have both touched on some very important points. I agree very much with what Ophelia said here:

Quote How it works for world peace is that Peace is an internal happening that manifests as an external expression. When we are not a peace and content in our personal life, the world close to us has disturbed and unfulfilled effects on not only us but everyone around us.
    My experience has been that my beliefs have a profound effect on not only myself and my experience of the world, but also on the way others in my life choose to act towards me. When I've changed my beliefs around a person, for example, there has been a noticeable difference in the way that person treats me. No words need to be exchanged; the change has already happened within myself. I don't see why this same effect could not occur on a more global scale as well.

Labyrinths do indeed seem to facilitate our individual quest for inner peace in some way, although I can't claim to understand how they work. I have had the experience of walking a labyrinth and feeling the safety to become fully present in my reality. Paradoxically, I was filled with the simultaneous feelings of emptiness and fullness. It was a beautiful experience, and I can definitely see how walking a labyrinth can open up new possibilities in the walker's mind that can have an effect (however subtle) on the rest of the world through our interconnectedness.

On the other hand, Dixon brings up a very valid point, and one that shouldn't be taken lightly:

Quote I'm concerned that "inner peace" often means we don't trouble ourselves with empathy for those who are suffering in the latest war or other oppression.
    There is a world of difference between true inner peace and sticking our heads in the sand, but unfortunately it seems many people unconsciously equate these two things. If bringing world peace is "all about improving ourselves, individually" (and I believe it is), it should be clear that ignoring the suffering of ourselves and others, in order to maintain a false sense of inner peace, is not an improvement. I have found that inner peace comes from confronting disturbing realities, not from pretending they don't exist.

Dixon also said:

Quote In a way, I wish people didn't feel better, more serene, as a result of activities like labyrinth walking. Maybe if we stayed freaked out and pissed off enough, we'd get off our asses and do more real peace-work (and I'm talking to myself here, too).
    While I completely understand why Dixon feels this way (believe me, I've been there!), I have to disagree. Using anger and fear as a catalyst for action is a mistake. Anger and fear are not going to see us through in our quest for world peace, and in fact they are very likely to lead us astray. If our actions are based in anger and fear, how can we possibly hope to spread peace? Anything that we create will only be based in anger and fear. We need to act based on love if we want to have real change in the world. Real love doesn't just mean feeling good about ourselves and others. It means confronting the disturbing realities, understanding our part in them (without getting caught up in guilt and blame), and understanding how these realities came about. When we understand why someone does the things they do (dropping bombs, for example), what they've been through that has led them to this point where they feel it is ok to kill other people, then we can begin to empathize with them, to see them as another human being that has been traumatized and led horribly astray. It's from that place of empathy and forgiveness, of recognizing the possibility of others' weaknesses in ourselves, that we start to have real change.

Thanks for reading,

Laurel Blair, NTP
    www.dynamicbalancenutrition.com

8. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

9. TopTop #6
    Ophelia

Dixon and Laurel THANK YOU for opening up wonderful dialogue with such openness and integrity. This is a positive example of creating understanding, acceptance and respect for differing points of view on sensitive and personal topics. You have both expresses important elements and all shared is of truth in the larger picture being created.

Dixon, I will answer yes and no to this question. In the close up everyday world we do not see how "these small, quiet and private things we do" can and do make a difference...yet they do in the realm of consciousness and ITS QUIET POWER. I often use the example of the Coming down of the Berlin Wall......(which I researched for a theater production). In the weeks and days leading up to "the fall" there was political unrest but that was not too unusual. Four days before The Day people from all over Germany and Europe "had the feeling" they had to go to Berlin...not sure why....each day more and more arrived.....the government began making "unusual decisions and choices." On The Day, and please not the official date NOVEMBER 9, 1989 - 11/9/1989 (the mirror of 9/11!) millions of people lined the wall on both sides - East and West - and the actions of One Man with a sledge hammer created history. He hit the wall, bricks fell and the people saw a reality they never expected!

I interpret these actions from the "unseen/known consciousness shift in the people" although individually they would never have known it. It was more like "the Soul and lost Spirits of the country/people" said Enough! and helped the movement along. (This is really for in person discussion for there it too much to explain...which I am more than happy to do with you and others!)

Remember the recent Egyptian change.....it began very quietly and grew in ways that could not have happened months or years earlier...because "human consciousness had not stabilized enough in the higher frequency".

I truly believe when we improve ourselves individually it changes the "frequency vibration" emitted from us, effecting those around us and beyond. When people walk my labyrinth I dowse their "energy field" before and after......it is remarkable to see and most feel the difference. Labyrinths do have an subtle energy field related to Mother Earth and the sacred geometric symbol shapes. You can check out www.earthsymbols.com/mazemaker.html (he has created labyrinths all over the world) , https://labyrinthsociety.org/ and about dowsing https://www.raymongraceprojects.com/dowsing.htm .

Now, the Woo Woo of the past is more true an could be imagined!

I am open to in person dialogue at any time!

In Gratitude!

10. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

11. TopTop #7
    Magick

You mention "rolling up their sleeves and doing th! e dirty work of political organizing, educating, agitating, financially supporting real peace efforts, etc."
    I am interested in what you are working on in terms of organizing and doing the dirty work. Maybe others would like to be involved.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dixon: View Post
    Ophelia, thanks for taking the time to compose a thoughtful answer.

I've walked a few labyrinths in my time, too, including the nice one at Grace Cathedral (which itself is a lovely space, visually and acoustically). I can easily believe that labyrinth meditations as with most (all?) forms of meditation, could increase "inner peace", especially when augmented with the appropriate rituals/expectations/social reinforcement.

But when you said "walking for world peace", I interpreted that as meaning peace as opposed to war, i.e., that labyrinth walking would somehow help us stop bombing people, etc., not just "inner peace". Did I misunderstand your intended meaning?

You say, "It is all about improving ourselves, individually." I believe that is true for you. But, should it be all about improving ourselves individually? As far as I can see, no amount of inner peace or similar "self-improvement" among those who walk labyrinths is going to stop our government from waging lucrative wars. Even if we assumed that labyrinth walking makes the walkers less likely to drop bombs, those who are doing the walking are not the same people who are considering doing the bombing. The ones who walk labyrinths are already anti-war before they even start walking. I see no change of the type required to bring about world peace resulting from labyrinth walking or other "spiritual" activities that purport to be for "world peace", such as drumming, chanting, praying, ritualizing, etc. What I mostly see is people telling themselves that they've done the world some good by doing something enjoyable, rather than rolling up their sleeves and doing the dirty work of political organizing, educating, agitating, financially supporting real peace efforts, etc.

In a way, I wish people didn't feel better, more serene, as a result of activities like labyrinth walking. Maybe if we stayed freaked out and pissed off enough, we'd get off our asses and do more real peace-work (and I'm talking to myself here, too). I'm concerned that "inner peace" often means we don't trouble ourselves with empathy for those who are suffering in the latest war or other oppression.

Having come of age during the late 60s, I remember well the shift from attempts at social/political change to a more self-centered navel-gazing, with the human potential movement of the 70s and beyond. There is some value to much of that stuff, but I wish people who are doing self-work such as meditating would refrain from claiming that it's gonna bring world peace. I'm reminded of the phony (disproven) claims made by the TM organization some years ago, that by meditating they had decreased violent crime in the Washington DC area. By all means, enjoy your labyrinth walking (and maybe I'll join you in a walk one of these days), but if you claim that that's somehow bringing about world peace (i.e., stopping wars)--well, you sure haven't given any good reason to believe that.

And if you're not claiming that, well, you can disregard much of what I've just said!

One more thing: I find your quote above intriguing. Of course, you don't mean it literally; a labyrinth is not an energy field; it is a maze. Presumably you mean that labyrinths have associated with them some sort of energy field (as opposed to the ambient energy we'd find in any area--light, heat, radio waves, etc.). Can you point me to some credible source for that info, or must I dismiss that as just another example of West County woowoo?

Thanks again for your time.
    Love;
    Dixon

12. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

13. TopTop #8
    Dixon

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Magick: View Post
    You mention "rolling up their sleeves and doing th! e dirty work of political organizing, educating, agitating, financially supporting real peace efforts, etc."
    I am interested in what you are working on in terms of organizing and doing the dirty work...
    Magick, that's irrelevant, because I'm not the one who's claiming to be doing something "for world peace".

Having said that, I've showed up at peace demonstrations a few times and, when I've had a little $, have kicked down a few bucks for the cause. I've also taken a consistent stand for peace in my writing and conversations, sometimes making myself unpopular in the process. And I believe that my ongoing work to promote critical thinking (see my monthly Wacco column "The Gospel According to Dixon") promotes world peace in ways I can explain if you wish. But like most people, I'm not nearly the activist I should be, and feel some shame about that.

But please note that that's irrelevant to what we're talking about in this thread. I haven't been saying that people should do more work for peace, and certainly not that I'm doing much for the cause. I've been saying that the particular action under discussion, labyrinth walking (and by extension, other activities "for peace" like praying, drumming, chanting, ritualizing), probably does nothing to create world peace (as opposed to war). I'm saying that if people want to work for peace (in that sense, not in the sense of "inner peace", which is a very different thing), they should do things that might actually further the cause, rather than doing things that probably don't further the cause and telling themselves that they're somehow helping.

So you see, the issue of whether or not I do anything for the cause is irrelevant to the discussion. The question is not whether I or Ophelia or whoever is doing enough for peace; it's whether her chosen practice (labyrinth walking) actually has the effect she attributes to it.

Here's an analogy: I see someone fishing in a pond that I have reason to believe has no fish, so I tell them "If you're trying to catch fish, what you're doing won't work; try that other pond instead." Note that I'm not saying that they don't fish enough, nor that I'm a better fisherman than they are, only that what they're doing probably won't get the results they want. Likewise, if you want world peace (as opposed to "inner peace"), labyrinth walking isn't gonna do the trick. Throughout this discussion, I've been open to being shown that I'm mistaken about that, that labyrinth walking actually could stop war, but nothing anybody's said, least of all the silly woowoo talk about vibrations and dowsing, gives me any good reason to believe that labyrinth walking has anything to do with world peace.

I hope that clarifies the issue under discussion.
    Last edited by Barry; 09-18-2011 at 01:56 PM.

14. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

15. TopTop #9
    Ophelia

Dixon,
    Once again I am in gratitude to you for sharing your response to Magick's entry. And I am in gratitude to Magick for opening yet another thought perspective of the larger topic. Initially I was uncomfortable with her response for I didn't know how it would be received and commented on. Yet in the big picture for me, it has been a gift!

Through my "per se" innocent and well intended" sharing of the labyrinth experience and a view of the possible, probably and/or wishful understandings that come from "the walk", I have gained a greater understanding of the how and what words such as "world and peace" mean to different people out in the community. Wouldn't it be wonderful if there was no need or reason for any "tools and bells and whistles" (such as labyrinths) for Us, the Human Population, to achieve, honor and gain a World of Peace!

For many my statements needed to be based in what could be seen as real facts of some result that creates a peaceful result from a non-peaceful event or experience. (If I am understanding correctly) As the old saying goes "the proof is in the pudding!"

My dialogue and way of writing comes from a completely different set of experiences that have been molded throughout my life. This has offered one of the many ways of seeing, understanding and knowing/feeling/being/witnessing and experiencing the World, near and far. I need to be more mindful and sensitive to clarifying meaning and purpose for the reader. You are correct that just physically walking a labyrinth will not bring world peace. Yet the physical is not the only "layer" involved and this is where "all goes into the way too woo woo realm" for physical evidence.

I think at this point to continue to belabor the varying views will only diminish all shared thus far. We, Laurel, Magick, you and I, have opened conversation for learning and understanding and honor "we agree to disagree", not on the principle and great desire for "World Peace" (local and international), yet on the varying interpretations of how to achieved it .

Thank you and continue to share in your writings!

16. Gratitude expressed by 3 members: