Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #151
    "Mad" Miles

Re: CVS/Chase development proposal

"Our moral responsibility can not rest only on economics. It must be rooted in something deeper and more human. And what could be more human than to look deep into the future through our grandchildren's eyes and know that we found the strength and vision to make the right choices for them and subsequent generations?"

Watch out Dominus!! Writing stuff like that might get you labeled a "Communitarian" by some self-proclaimed defenders of Democracy and Freedom!

Always bear in mind that Communitarianism = Fascism = EVIL!!!

Forget that at all of our "collective" peril...

Bwaaaahaaaaahaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #152
    authenticeye

Who's for a grassroots movement ~
    "Any land which we preside over is a form of stewardship."
    Thank You Dominus for that statement*
    I lack specifics but am I correct to presume the first step is to purchase the lot - is development design a necessary piece to being able to offer a bid on the property?
    What that price tag is I do not know - I was informed that it would depend on the CVS/Chase proposal -
    What of developing a trust for the purchase of the property - can it really be that impossible - with the intention of becoming a community Co-op business corner -
    Co-op's take many shapes - let's be one of the unique ones.
    This post has had over 13,000 visitors through it's day -
    13,000 people at $20 pledges already provides a nice down of $260,000 ~
    doesn't seem too impossible
    What if our conscious collective Wacco communtiy were capable of causing effective transformation through "six degrees of separation"?
    We all have friends in "far off places" who would jump in an a heart beat to help establish something worthy for the community.
    I believe in the supportive power that bounces between all of us through to the global infinite degree -
    I thank SeeSaw for first planting this idea of a youth hostel in my head through one of their letters to the city council.
    This is something that arose after the New Year and persisted me for weeks.
    I even contacted Hosteling International-USA and learned they can not take on a new project but that they would support a hostel/make it an affiliate if it met their standards.
    There is a tourist industry to be tapped that Sonoma County is missing out on ... having had a history of traveling to other countries I can attest that it would be a fruitful outcome for Sebastopol and all surrounding communities were we to actualize a "Common Ground".

One Common Ground Co-Op:
    Of the People, by the People, for the People

Sections
    Core Elements
    Benefits to Project
    Funding Source
    Funding Goals
    Next Step

Core Elements
    *Youth Hostel (as suggested by SESAW)
    (nearest is in Pt Reyes, Sacramento and Sausolito)

*Rotating art installations by local artists (5-8 week periods)
    Committee formed to take applications - draw from global interests as well
    * Mural of the world on pavement - based on world map idea in Mimi’s
    *Supports CittaSlow Movement
    * ....Perhaps solar powered spiraling archways through the lot -
    * A waterfall installation that might work with drowning the traffic noise ...?
    * Foot Bridges crossing over 12 and over N Petaluma at suggested crosswalk improvement spots by Development Committee
    Public Safety issues:
    Artistically crafted meshing to protect pedestrian and motorist
    Turnkey or gate to make bicyclists walk bikes over bridge
    Accessible for handicap
    Earthquake safe
    *Circle of Cob benches for outdoor gatherings : Living Earth Structures other local cob artists
    * Cobb buildings for rotating food vendors (monthly/ bimonthly) fully equipped;
    allowing chefs/ caterers/non-profits opportunity to raise money
    *Giant chess board - such as found as a feature of Christchurch, NZ

Benefits to Project
    Sebastopol Will Embody the Gateway Energy That it Holds on its Shoulders
    A community driven economy - services/restaurants will thrive
    Supports the values of Sebastopol
    Re-Use of space creatively, with local and global community involvement
    Traffic slows down -
    entering town : foot bridges on either side capture attention
    the mental energy of the commuters shift - attention shifts to Common Ground Co-op and the invitation to stay a bit longer in Sebastopol is initiated
    The curiosity that leads people to Florence Avenue (Patrick Amiot, https://www.patrickamiot.com/view.html) will be experienced as visitors enter town - lead National Geographic to talk about more than just our “apple pie”.
    Funding Source
    Create a Trust for the Co-Op, funds held at local credit union
    A plaque be installed marking gratitude to initial large contributors
    Global On-Line Pledge Drive
    “I pledge to donate $____ to the vision of Common Ground Co-Op”
    Matching Funds
    Set up various contribution markers for matching
    Create a pledge form html that can be added to any person’s website
    Funding Goals
    Funds to purchase lot
    Funds to demolish existing structures and remove concrete
    Funds to build foot bridge
    Funds to add shared parking area between lot and Frizelle Enos
    Funds for landscaping/grass lawn : Maintenance contracted to Graton Day Labor
    Funds for initiating art installations
    Funds to build Youth Hostel

Perhaps as motion of “peace offering” invite CVS/Chase owners to be a matching donor (if they meant what they said about serving the community)

Thanks for reading - May the council see the truth of the project's design issues and support DRB's rejection : having attended two of the meetings late last year I heard the requests by DRB for an optional layout repeatedly with no results given by the applicant -

Let's be the change makers we are capable of being ~*~

3. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

4. TopTop #153
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

There's a protest about CVS/Chase tomorrow (Sat, Feb 4th):

We Will Meet @ Occupy Sebastopol anytime leading up to noon on Saturday Feb 4th, when we will rally and move/march to the CVS shopping center where we will protest @ Chase Bank and CVS.

Please come show support for limiting the influence of corporate greed.

Please come show support for the Design Review Board.

Please help fight to keep our downtown free from traffic and construction congestion.

Please stand up to ongoing corporate development patterns that gentrify communities without their approval!

5. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

6. TopTop #154
    Eileen M.

Power to the Peaceful

7. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

8. TopTop #155
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Sebastopol City Council rejects proposed CVS design

Sebastopol City Council rejects proposed CVS design
    https://www.pressdemocrat.com/articl...p=all&tc=pgall

SG Ellison, vice president of development at Armstrong Development Properties, Inc.
    addressed questions about the CVS project in Sebastopol at a Sebastopol City Council
    meeting on Tuesday, Feb. 7, 2012.

CRISTA JEREMIASON/ PD
    By BOB NORBERG
    THE PRESS DEMOCRAT
    Published: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 7:08 a.m.

A controversial proposal by CVS Pharmacy to develop at one of Sebastopol's most visible intersections suffered a major setback Tuesday night when the City Council rejected its design plans.

“I am not willing to say that what was submitted to the Design Review Board is the best that can be done,” said Mayor Guy Wilson.

The council on a 3-2 vote sided with the Design Review Board's decision to reject the design of the CVS Pharmacy and Chase Bank proposal at Sebastopol and Petaluma avenues.

The developer, Armstrong Development of Sacramento, had appealed to the City Council to overturn that denial, claiming it had already changed many aspects of its design, met city guidelines and had reached an impasse with the Design Review Board.

“This is a better project because of the outpouring of involvement in town,” said SG Ellison, Armstrong vice president of development. “This is a better project than when we submitted it, it fits well into the community.”

Despite having already received the necessary approvals from the City Council to go ahead, the development has remained a divisive issue that has been debated in more than a dozen long and tense meetings.

The Design Review Board rejected the developer's proposal as being out of sync with Sebastopol's Main Street character.

The decision by the council Tuesday night came after more than four hours of council questioning on design details, from the size of a portico on the southwest side of the building, the placement of the trash receptacles, the size of plaza to how many windows are actually allow people to look from the outside in.

In the end, however, the deciding factor was where the project was to be located, at the vacant Pellini dealership, and whether it was part of Sebastopol's downtown core or a transition zone between retail and industry.

“I do like the design of this building. I do not believe that this is Main Street,” said Councilwoman Kathleen Shaffer. “This is a transition zone, this is an industrial location and this building fits in with the buildings on Sebastopol Avenue. A block away we are selling tractors.”

Councilwoman Sarah Gurney disagreed, saying it was the first intersection seen as people drive in from the east and is part of the downtown core.

“I don't see it as a transitional zone,” Gurney said. “I think our city wants a downtown that is a grid of streets that is more than two blocks square.”

Architect Kevin Kellogg of Sebastopol said the architecture tries to reflect both, with storefront, sidewalks and trees that are all associated with Main Street.

“We believe we have emulated the architecture of Main Street,” Kellogg said.

The City Council, however, decided that the Design Review Board had not overstepped its bounds when it denied the design.

The city staff will now draw up a list of the reasons the council discussed, including the size of a portico and a low wall fronting a parking lot, to try to give direction so the design can move forward.

Wilson, Vice Mayor Kyes and Gurney voted for the denial, with council members Patrick Slayter and Shaffer voting to grant the appeal.

Armstrong Development is proposing to build a 14,576-square-foot CVS Pharmacy and a 4,327-square-foot Chase Bank branch at the intersection of Sebastopol and Petaluma avenues.

CVS and Chase already have facilities elsewhere in Sebastopol and would relocate to that corner, the site of the vacant Pellini Chevrolet dealership.

It is the second time the developer, Armstrong Development Properties of Sacramento, has asked the City Council to intervene.

The City Council on June 5 overruled the Planning Commission, which had also rejected the CVS Pharmacy proposal, and also decided that the CVS project could go ahead without a full environmental impact report.

The $10 million project has been controversial since it was first proposed in the spring of 2011, with the opposition being led by the Committee for Small Town Sebastopol.

The group wants something other than CVS and Chase at the corner, such as a two-story development with shops on the bottom and housing on top, along with less parking.

The group has also filed suit in Sonoma County Superior Court challenging the council's decision to not require a full environmental impact, which it believes is warranted by the amount of traffic that will be generated at the already-congested intersection.

You can reach Staff Writer Bob Norberg at 521-5206 or [email protected].

9. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

10. TopTop #156
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

The City Council rejected the CVS/Chase design last night!
    See the PD article here.

11. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

12. TopTop #157
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Re: Sebastopol City Council rejects proposed CVS design

Yay!

This was a brave decision on behalf of our city council! No doubt this is not the end of the story...

13. Gratitude expressed by:

14. TopTop #158
    Investigative Reporter

CVS Vote: True Colors on Display Last Night: THANK YOU Guy, Michael & Sarah!

Sometimes, sometimes the good side wins. By one vote...

Some true colors were on display last night, and I hope that Sebastopol's voters remember these on Election Day this year.

Council Member Shaffer's comment, as cited in the PD, was this:
    “This is a transition zone, this is an industrial location and this building fits in with the buildings on Sebastopol Avenue. A block away we are selling tractors.”

Industrial location? Give us a break! In a previous post I suggested that Ms. Shaffer was acting more like a lobbyist than a Council Member representing a majority of the people in Sebastopol. This quote affirms my characetrization. JUST what a lobbyist would say. Sheesh! I am glad she is up for re-election in November.

On a brighter note, Guy Wilson is up for re-election, and he stuck his neck out for this vote. Let's remember his courage, and support, when November rolls around as well,

because those promoting and profiting from this potentially catastrophic project, and their friends, will be coming after Guy in the Election, crowing about what's "good for (BIG) business is good for Sebastopol" and "jobs" and the like. To which I say: whose business? MOST LOCAL business and 99% of our local people will NOT benefit from this deal.

Guy and Sarah and Michael stood up to two multi-billion dollar corporations on behalf of our ecology and our community
    THANK YOU!!

15. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

16. TopTop #159
    rossmen

yesss! and guy is a very careful lawyer. this was surely the most he would do, send it back to the drb "circus" (rotary member quote). we will see how persistant cvs/chase is. i guess that chase is an investor and hopes that higher per square foot sales for cvs will boost the stock price, so a smaller store in the center of sebastopol with a drive through pharmacy capturing even more of west county drug money makes perfect sense with a corporate thinking hat on!

and at a certain point (hopefully), it won't pencil out and these corporate pitbulls will move on to better fighting elsewhere, content to life on the edge of this small wonderful town, and will let go their grip (option to buy teeth), on the neck (crossroads).

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    Yay!

This was a brave decision on behalf of our city council! No doubt this is not the end of the story...

17. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

18. TopTop #160
    Investigative Reporter

Firstl, a big THNAK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!! to Guy and Sarah and Michael for showing their true colors and voting against this corporate juggernaut wanting to catashtrophically transform the crossroads into our small town, despite the traffic and air pollution it would cost us the rest of our lives.

I do hope CVS gives up; and that Sebastopol can focus on a less impactful and more local buyer of the Pellini property. We at Occupy Sebastopol have a "boycott CVS if they move" petition which we have dozens of signatures on already, with tens of thousands of dollars in lost existing reveneue pledged if they mover (if they move, we move to Rite Aid and others!). More on that coon--but we have it in the protest tent in town square if anyone wants to jon the many who have signed on. We would like them to rethink the economics of this deal, as you suggest below. They have not listened to our 1,000-plus petition, or the sentiment of our cuty council or planning or design review boardl Money is the only language they understand and hopefully we can express, through our community';s actions, that they will not make money here if they do this, and they will move on and peddle their drive through drugs, with idling cars polluting local air, somewhere else.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by rossmen: View Post
    yesss! and guy is a very careful lawyer. this was surely the most he would do, send it back to the drb "circus" (rotary member quote). we will see how persistant cvs/chase is. i guess that chase is an investor and hopes that higher per square foot sales for cvs will boost the stock price, so a smaller store in the center of sebastopol with a drive through pharmacy capturing even more of west county drug money makes perfect sense with a corporate thinking hat on!

and at a certain point (hopefully), it won't pencil out and these corporate pitbulls will move on to better fighting elsewhere, content to life on the edge of this small wonderful town, and will let go their grip (option to buy teeth), on the neck (crossroads).

19. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

20. TopTop #161
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Here's Dave Abbott's article in Sonoma West Times and News about the CVS decision which includes more detail - Barry

Sebastopol City Council denies CVS/Chase DRB appeal: Decision puts major stumbling block in way of development
    https://www.sonomawest.com/sonoma_we...4.html?cbst=21

Posted: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 2:16 pm | Updated: 6:28 pm
    by David Abbott Sonoma West Editor [email protected]

On Tuesday night, in another 4 and ˝ hour meeting that featured a response by the appellant, but no public comment, Sebastopol City Council voted to deny an appeal of the Design Review Board's decision to halt the proposed CVS/Chase project.

The decision creates a major stumbling block for the development of the Pellini property by Armstrong Development Properties, Inc.

The Sebastopol Community Cultural Center was not quite as full for Tuesday's meeting as it was for the Jan. 23 hearing. There were plenty of empty seats and the crowd trickled out throughout the evening as Council questioned Armstrong/CVS/Chase representatives who tried to convince them to uphold the appeal so that the project could move forward immediately.

Armstrong's Vice President of Development S.G. Ellison said that he appreciated the support from the community in the wake of the DRB's denial of the project in December, but that he "didn't quite understand the grounds for denial."

"The DRB abused its discretion," he said. "The DRB based its decision on opinion," rather than facts.

Ellison went on to cite comments made by several DRB members at the Jan. 23 meeting that the developers had issues with. Bob Beauchamp, Peter Schurch and Lynn Deedler were singled out for their perceived role in the break down of negotiations that took place over the course of eight DRB meetings and last month's public hearing.

"We could no longer interpret what they wanted," Ellison said, adding that by his interpretation, some of the DRB's demands were in direct contradiction to design guidelines.

He also took exception to comments made by DRB members, such as saying that Armstrong architects did not understand design guidelines and that the developers should "eat humble pie" and return to the DRB.

Ellison said that complaints about the development being too big didn't make sense either, as the project is much smaller than design guidelines allow.

The project would include a 14,576-square-foot CVS pharmacy/retail store with a drive-up window and a 4,327-square foot branch of Chase Bank, 105 parking spaces, an alcohol sales permit, new street landscaping with wider sidewalks and several improved vehicle entrances on Petaluma and Sebastopol avenues.

"It's a better project," he said of its evolution through the process. "With the outpouring of involvement in town ... it's absolutely a better project than if you gave us carte blanche."

The process for the development began in February 2010, when CVS/Chase submitted its initial proposal. From April to June 2011 there were four DRB and Planning Commission meetings, with the Planning Commission denying the project on June 14.

On July 5, City Council overturned the Commission's decision and approved an application for an alcohol use permit and the abandonment of Barnes Avenue - which will be widened and improved, with a caveat that the city can reacquire it if it so chooses - paving the way for the development to go through.

But the design review process became increasingly contentious over the course of the final months of 2011, with several long meetings culminating in the denial of the design and an immediate appeal by Armstrong.

The Jan. 23 hearing saw about 250 people packed into the Community Center and included more than 50 speakers, many in favor of the project. The hearing was carried over to give the applicant an opportunity to respond and allow the Council to ask questions and deliberate.

Much of Tuesday night's discussion surrounded aesthetics - Vice Mayor Michael Kyes was concerned about the screening of the trash enclosures - use of open space and zoning.

While Councilmember Kathleen Shaffer stated her belief that the area is "not part of Main Street" and is industrial in nature, Councilmember Sarah Gurney disagreed, arguing that as the first intersection in town, it is part of the city's core.

"It's right there with central downtown," she said. "It's one block from the Plaza ... and two blocks from City Hall, the Chamber of Commerce and the post office."

Gurney and Kyes also took exception to the stated economic benefits of the $10 million project, saying that the report of $500,000 in sales tax revenue and $100,000 in property taxes were overstated.

"It's not true," Kyes said. "If it were, they'd be stocking the shelves now."

Kyes said that he believed the numbers would be more in the $62,000 range for sales tax revenue and "$15,000-$20,000" in property taxes.

Kyes did, however, like the added parking, saying that he would be happy if there was even more included in the proposal.

Gurney appreciated the infrastructure benefits, but argued that would happen no matter what development took place on the site and also questioned the economic benefits.

"The businesses are already in town," she said. "If they downsize the store, I don't know if their revenues will go down."
    Gurney also pointed out that the bank would not be a source of sales tax revenues and stated her belief that the open spaces on the site would not be a draw for people as there was nothing there to attract them, such as a business like Screamin' Mimi's on the northwest corner of the intersection.

She defended the members of the DRB and asked Council to "respect our action appointing them" last December.
    There was unanimous agreement that the design needed further work, but the Council was split on whether to deny or allow the appeal.

Armstrong representative Bill McDermott asked Council to allow the project to move forward, or to somehow provide a mediator should they have to go back to the DRB, saying that the previous meetings were "loud and threatening."

In the end, the vote was 3-2 - councilmembers Patrick Slayter and Shaffer voted to uphold the appeal, while Mayor Guy Wilson, Kyes and Gurney voted to deny.

City staff will provide findings at the next Council meeting, scheduled for Feb. 21, unless a special meeting is scheduled later this week, as the issue must be decided by Feb. 23.

With the findings, the developer can reapply and begin the process again, unless it decides to walk away from the project or sue the city.

21. Gratitude expressed by:

22. TopTop #162
    AJL

How about a car dealer that only sold all the alternative fuel and electric hybrids from all the makers.
    Volt, Prius, Leaf, etc, under one roof.
    Use all the existing buildings, lease the place for a percentage of the sales.
    Last edited by Barry; 02-11-2012 at 10:40 AM.

23. TopTop #163
    b.w. rose

Sebasto-damer Platz ?

Mostly, this is addressed to an issue raised by Helen....
    Although I paid minimal attention to this issue, I have to confess I thought this was about moving two businesss from one location to another within the City of Sebastopol.
    But, then, I read your ad in the local newspaper and one statistic struck me as most interesting to the whole debate.
    Twenty-six feet high?
    Really?
    That is more than twice the height of the Berlin Wall !!
    (11.6 feet)

24. Gratitude expressed by:

25. TopTop #164
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Sebastopol officials defend rejection of CVS project's design

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20120210/ARTICLES/120219924/0/FRONTPAGE?p=all&tc=pgall

By BOB NORBERG
    THE PRESS DEMOCRAT
    Published: Friday, February 10, 2012 at 7:04 p.m.

The design of the proposed CVS Pharmacy-Chase Bank project in Sebastopol changed over the past year from cookie-cutter corporate to a bamboo-colored building with large windows, a plaza and broad walkways fronting the streets.

Enlarge
    These photos shows the existing
    view and an artist's rendering of
    what the Sebastopol location
    being considered for a new CVS
    store would look like.

The CVS and Chase buildings, which would look unlike any others in the nation, were designed by Sebastopol architect Kevin Kellogg. But after six hearings before the Design Review Board and two before the City Council, the project still didn't pass muster.

“Yes they came back many times, but the focus should be on how good can we get,” said Lynn Deedler, design board vice chairman. “They started with something that was awful, and they moved slowly off of that. They eventually ended up with an attractive building, but the architecture was not fitting for the Sebastopol location and the surroundings.”

Initially, the Sacramento developer proposed a large white building with the CVS corporate logo and with a drive-through pharmacy window that wrapped around the building at the intersection of Sebastopol and Petaluma avenues, the site of the vacant Pellini Chevrolet dealership.

Armstrong Development of Sacramento is proposing to build a CVS Pharmacy and a Chase Bank branch at the site.

After the original plan was rejected, Armstrong hired Kellogg, who redesigned the 14,576-square-foot pharmacy and Chase branch with different colors, lower heights, windows, a plaza and a wide walkway, and 8,000 square feet of garden that filters rain runoff before it runs into the storms drains and the laguna and moved the drive-throughs to the interior of the project.

But Armstrong and the Design Review Board hit a dead end when the board asked that a driveway on Petaluma Avenue be eliminated, the parking lot down-sized, and the Chase building be redesigned and moved closer to the CVS building.

The City Council on Monday spent four hours discussing the design, coming up with its own design critique before ruling the Design Review Board had acted within its authority. The council, however, did not adopt any specific design recommendations.

While there is obvious community sentiment against CVS or Chase moving to that prominent corner from elsewhere in town, City Council and design board members officials said there is no intent in their decisions to keep CVS or Chase from locating that the site.

“In many of the emails I have received over the past month is the desire to keep CVS out of downtown, but I am not quite sure where that sentiment is coming from,” said Councilman Patrick Slayter.

“It is private property. It was decided by the City Council. It met the zoning code and the negative declaration of the environmental impact report was certified,” Slayter said. “To my way of thinking, isn't downtown where you want banks and pharmacies to be located?”

Slayter and Councilwoman Kathleen Shaffer were the only two on the council that voted to approve the project design.

Zachary Douch, chairman of the design board, whose five members are appointed by the City Council, said the design board has ruled only on the merits of the design.

“It has focused on the design issues and made a decision based on those,” Douch said. “Who the applicant is is not relevant.”

Douch also said that he thinks they can find a middle ground.

“I think the applicant understands the critical issues the Design Review Board has highlighted, and so with some redesign work I believe there could be some resolution,” Douch said. “It is hard to say how much redesign work is required. It wasn't the easiest project for design review. “There were stumbling blocks.”

The intersection is one of Sebastopol's most visible, most congested and, because it is on the edge of both Main Street and industry, one of the most sensitive.

“I believe they can take essentially the same building footprint but do things architecturally with it that will give it a look that resonates more with community expectation, the old-time Sebastopol look, rather than the contemporary industrial look,” said Mayor Guy Wilson.

The developer already has received the major necessary approvals to develop the CVS store and Chase branch at the 2.4-acre site, at a cost of about $10 million.

On June 5, the City Council overturned the Planning Commission denial of the project and also ruled that a full environmental impact report did not need to be done.

The project still needs approval from the Design Review Board after six hearings, said Planning Director Kenyon Webster.

When Armstrong rejected those final changes, the Design Review Board denied the proposal, which Armstrong appealed to the City Council, arguing that the design met city guidelines and the board overstepped its bounds.

In a 3-2 vote, Wilson, Kyes and Councilwoman Sarah Gurney voted to uphold the board, while Slayter and Shaffer voted against it.

Armstrong can now reapply to the Design Review Board, abandon the project or file a suit.

Armstrong officials last week either declined comment or did not return repeated phone calls asking for comment on what they may do next.

You can reach Staff Writer Bob Norberg at 521-5206 or [email protected].

26. TopTop #165
    Dustyg

Since when is a town/community denied the right to guide it's own development, to keep it's coherence and ambience? Can big, corporate stores come in and simply demand a place of prominence in a little town like ours? What about democracy?

27. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

28. TopTop #166
    dominus

I can understand a negative declaration in the context of "benign" downtown zoning conditions however the prospective CVS project will be at the junction of 2 state highways with no dedicated turn lanes nor the existing 3 entrances/exits which currently exist at the Redwood S/C. The developers want to spend 10M to make this move so as to capture more traffic, lots and lots of traffic. So downsizing the building is irrelevant because the underlying implication is that traffic won't be effected when they're hoping that there will be an increase in traffic. Why spend 10M otherwise? In all likelihood, an EIR would, undoubtedly, determine that traffic and circulation would be significantly impacted. It would stand to reason, this project shouldn't have even been approved in the first place without an EIR.

What can be done when zoning conditions are in direct conflict of interest to what should be a sensible given in this case and that is a mandatory EIR?

29. Gratitude expressed by:

30. TopTop #167
    Helen Shane

Happily, we do have the General Plan, the Zoning Ordinance and the DRB Guidelines that proved to the City Council that the Design Review Board was correct in its refusal to approve the site plan and the architectural elements and that the Planning Commission was correct in its 4-2 vote to deny approval. If the concerns of the Planning Commission had been properly conveyed to the City Council in the minutes of that meeting, this whole chain of events would not have occurred. Please know that the DRB does have jurisdiction over the traffic circulation in that it was the site design, with the two businesses at opposite ends of the parcel, and an in and out driveway between them that would force autos leaving either store and the lot to cross three lanes of traffic and a bike lane to get to the signal to take a left turn to go west. This situation compounds an already congested intersection and adds to the problem of pedestrian and auto passenger safety. In addition, the problems with the access and exit to/from the property, with its drive through pharmacy and its drive up ATM at the Chase Bank would have added to the grid lock on Hwys. 116 and 12, which of course adds another burden of greenhouse gas to our atmosphere.

31. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

32. TopTop #168
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dustyg: View Post
    Can big, corporate stores come in and simply demand a place of prominence in a little town like ours? What about democracy?
    I think that's a misleading way to frame it. Anyone with the means to purchase the property can "demand a place of prominence" by buying something prominent that's for sale. "Democracy" doesn't have anything to do with it. We do have limits on property rights, because no property is truly private - we're all affected by the way it's developed. So "democracy" comes in there. The citizens do get a voice in the policies that limit property owner's rights. But that doesn't mean that there -are- no private property rights if the neighbors complain enough. This isn't going to be that simple.

33. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

34. TopTop #169
    Helen Shane

CVS Update next meeting

Update 2/22/12

CVS/Chase/Armstrong

We’re happy to report that the system, when implemented faithfully, works.

At the meeting last night the draft text of the findings for the CVS/Chase/ Armstrong application, to be memorialized in a Resolution by the Sebastopol City Council, was projected on a big screen; edits by Council members were made, then and there. The public at this critical public meeting were able to observe the deliberations.

The document was openly discussed, at length, among Council members, and no passage was approved until voted on by a majority of the Council.

Maintained in the findings were most of what the DRB findings set forth, including:
    the sensitive issues of the midblock driveway that would add to the already congested core of the downtown;
    the architecture not reflective of the unique character of Sebastopol;
    the formula architecture designed to dominate the area and designed for advertising purpose;
    the project does not sufficiently address solar access/energy conservation considerations.
    And much, much more.

When the resulting document went to a vote, Mayor Wilson, Vice Mayor Kyes and Council member Sarah Gurney voted to approve. Council members Shafer and Slater voted no.

Now the ball is in Armstrong’s court. Among their options: they can submit a new application that would undergo Planning Commission and Design Review Board scrutiny, and would or would not require a full EIR; they can submit a modified application; they can drop the notion to move downtown, or they can sue the City. Whether or not the existing Mitigated Negative Declaration would still be valid is apparently up to the Planning Department with City legal counsel, to determine.

In the meantime, the lawsuit by Committee for Small Town Sebastopol remains in place. This requires payment of attorneys. Can you help?

Copy the following into your browser:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...=PQP4AS959VZX6 (corrected)

and you will access the PayPal process.

Our apologies for the very late reminder for last night’s Council meeting,

John Kramer, Helen Shane, Jane Nielson for the

Committee for Small Town Sebastopol
    Last edited by Barry; 02-23-2012 at 11:41 AM.

35. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

36. TopTop #170
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Re: CVS Update next meeting

Helen, thank you for all the information you continue to post here.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Helen Shane: View Post
    Update 2/22/12

CVS/Chase/Armstrong

We’re happy to report that the system, when implemented faithfully, works.

At the meeting last night the draft text of the findings for the CVS/Chase/ Armstrong application, to be memorialized in a Resolution by the Sebastopol City Council, was projected on a big screen; edits by Council members were made, then and there. The public at this critical public meeting were able to observe the deliberations.

The document was openly discussed, at length, among Council members, and no passage was approved until voted on by a majority of the Council.

Maintained in the findings were most of what the DRB findings set forth, including:
    the sensitive issues of the midblock driveway that would add to the already congested core of the downtown;
    the architecture not reflective of the unique character of Sebastopol;
    the formula architecture designed to dominate the area and designed for advertising purpose;
    the project does not sufficiently address solar access/energy conservation considerations.
    And much, much more.

When the resulting document went to a vote, Mayor Wilson, Vice Mayor Kyes and Council member Sarah Gurney voted to approve. Council members Shafer and Slater voted no.

Now the ball is in Armstrong’s court. Among their options: they can submit a new application that would undergo Planning Commission and Design Review Board scrutiny, and would or would not require a full EIR; they can submit a modified application; they can drop the notion to move downtown, or they can sue the City. Whether or not the existing Mitigated Negative Declaration would still be valid is apparently up to the Planning Department with City legal counsel, to determine.

In the meantime, the lawsuit by Committee for Small Town Sebastopol remains in place. This requires payment of attorneys. Can you help?

Copy the following into your browser:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...=PQP4AS959VZX6 (corrected)

and you will access the PayPal process.

Our apologies for the very late reminder for last night’s Council meeting,

John Kramer, Helen Shane, Jane Nielson for the

Committee for Small Town Sebastopol

37. Gratitude expressed by:

38. TopTop #171
    Helen Shane

CVS update 3/10/12

CVS/Chase/Armstrong

Latest Challenge

CVS REMAINS A THREAT TO OUR DOWNTOWN: CVS/Chase/Armstrong, having been denied design approval by the Sebastopol City Council, is likely to return with a tinkered design and expect approval of their move to our already congested downtown core.

No permutation of CVS on that parcel at the congested junction of Hwys 12 and 116 will benefit Sebastopol, either aesthetically or financially.

In fact, some predict a drop in revenue if they move, because of the ill will they’ve generated. It would indeed be a lose-lose outcome.

The Committee for Small Town Sebastopol has filed a lawsuit challenging the City Council’s wrong-headed approval of the environmental documentation for the project. It is essential that we aggressively pursue the lawsuit until a truly satisfactory and final outcome is realized. This requires money, for attorney fees and court costs.

We have just interviewed and hired Rachel Sater, attorney daughter of the late Superior Court Judge Rex Sater. She is a partner in the law firm of
    Moscone Emblidge & Sater llp

https://www.mesllp.com/
    Check their client roster.
    We need $20,000

for the Small Town Sebastopol law suit fund.

We have a head start-just received

an offer of up to $3,000

as a donation to be matched by you and your friends and everyone else in Sonoma County who cares about what goes on in our community.
    A victory here will set back CVS/Chase in

its drive to take over small towns throughout the U.S.

Check your budget; dig deep, then copy and paste into your browser:
    https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...=PQP4AS959VZX6

or, if you prefer, send your check to

Committee for Small Town Sebastopol,

c/o Exchange Bank, 720 Gravenstein Hwy. No. Sebastopol, CA 95472

Please do it now. We need to keep the pressure on.

John Kramer, Helen Shane, Jane Nielson

for Small Town Sebastopol

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

39. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

40. TopTop #172
    leeanngans

Re: CVS update 3/10/12

How do you think congestion is going to be after the new Barlow development is completed? Instead of negative protest, how about a feasible solution? I haven't heard any of the protesters step up with any real solutions to the percieved problem...and I mean a solution that actually involves purchasing the property and developing it in such a way that everyone is happy. CVS is taking over small towns in America? I don't know what laws you adhere to, but I'm free to chose where I shop. Maybe you should give it a try......

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Helen Shane: View Post
    CVS REMAINS A THREAT TO OUR DOWNTOWN: CVS/Chase/Armstrong, having been denied design approval by the Sebastopol City Council, is likely to return with a tinkered design and expect approval of their move to our already congested downtown core.
    Last edited by Barry; 03-14-2012 at 04:50 PM.

41. Gratitude expressed by:

42. TopTop #173
    Helen Shane

Dear LeeAnn:

Thank you for asking publicly. This gives me the opportunity to respond.

You raise several issues. I have suggested, in a number of arenas to many people, that the City of Sebastopol join in a public/private partnership to buy the property, the price for which, if CVS is defeated, would be appropriately adjusted. The town would benefit if there were built small shops/workshop spaces on both street frontages, and studio, one and two bedroom affordable rental housing on two stories above. All parking would be interior, for businessses and tenants. No driveway on Petaluma Ave. All motorized vehicle egress/ingress would be through Barnes and Abbott Aves, properly engineered to carry such traffic. We might consider two or three pedestrian/bike paths at strategic points along Petaluma Ave and Sebastopol Road, to allow access for same to interior.The buildings would be articulated, with lots of see through glass; property to be retained by the city, and managed by professionals to be selected through a bidding process. There are entities that facilitate such arrangements, and I have spoken with one. Problem is that it can't be advanced until the present optioner (Amstrong Development for CVS/Chase) is out of the picture, permanently, or has agreed to participate in such a venture.

As to the Barlow property and its traffic impacts, unlike the Pellini property it is not located at the junction of two State highways, so it's traffic impacts are not comparable, especially since that plan was changed from the original one proposed one that was called for 300 homes, 80% of which would have been priced at market rate.

I'm so glad you asked. I love to talk about my vision for Pete's corner. Thank you. Helen Shane.
    Cell ph. 206-1891

Quote Posted in reply to the post by leeanngans: View Post
    How do you think congestion is going to be after the new Barlow development is completed? Instead of negative protest, how about a feasible solution? I haven't heard any of the protesters step up with any real solutions to the percieved problem...and I mean a solution that actually involves purchasing the property and developing it in such a way that everyone is happy. CVS is taking over small towns in America? I don't know what laws you adhere to, but I'm free to chose where I shop. Maybe you should give it a try......
    Last edited by Barry; 03-14-2012 at 04:50 PM.

43. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

44. TopTop #174
    Geni Houston

Hi Helen - I hear you have taken your show on the road - now visiting Marin Design Review to stop the CVS in Tiburon. It has been suggested that that is your plan - to go cross country defeating CVS everywhere. If thats your plan - you go Girl! More power to you for your convictions!

But don't go telling anyone that you represent Sebastopol - you don't. You represent a group of people from Sebastopol - big difference. Even if you CLEARLY indicated it was your Committee for Small town Sebastopol, the name in itself is very misleading.

I ask that you change the name of your committee so that other communities who are not so much aware can get the real picture of who is opposing who.

Geni Houston

45. TopTop #175
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Geni Houston: View Post
    I ask that you change the name of your committee so that other communities who are not so much aware can get the real picture of who is opposing who.
    In the dubious world of naming private interest groups that often hides who's really behind it and what they really want and why, I find "Committee for Small Town Sebastopol" refreshingly transparent. I think it's clear that it is an interest group and not representing the City of Sebastopol. Is your concern that the word "Committee" could be interpreted to be mean a City of Sebastopol committee?

46. TopTop #176
    Geni Houston

In the dubious world of naming private interest groups that often hides who's really behind it and what they really want and why, I find "Committee for Small Town Sebastopol" refreshingly transparent. I think it's clear that it is an interest group and not representing the City of Sebastopol. Is your concern that the word "Committee" could be interpreted to be mean a City of Sebastopol committee?
    Quite frankly, yes! Seems very confusing to me but particularly to an outside community
    G

47. TopTop #177
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

In the dubious world of naming private interest groups that often hides who's really behind it and what they really want and why, I find "Committee for Small Town Sebastopol" refreshingly transparent.
    Here's some more examples of that dubious world (thanks to Auntie Wacco!)

48. Gratitude expressed by:

49. TopTop #178
    John Eder
    Former Seb City Council Member

Geni-

I think that you need to check your hearing. I hate to disappoint you, but there was no road show to the non-existant "Marin Design Review"- simply a visit to the TIBURON TOWN COUNCIL meeting as observers in the audience. No mention was made of Sebastopol, nor was anything said publically in that venue regarding CVS by out-of-towners. There was no need to, as there were plenty of locals who had nothing but bad things to say about it. How do I know? I was actually there, unlike you. Perhaps you should form the Committee for Inappropriate Crappy Architecture and Manufactured Blight in Sebastopol. It would be difficult to misunderstand your true goals with an appropriate name like that.

Please tell Bill McDermott that I said hello.

50. TopTop #179
    Helen Shane

In response to Genie Houston's remarks regarding attendance at the Tiburon Town Council meeting, (see below) I sent the following message to Genie, whom I've always considered to be a reasonable person. I didn't realize my message would not be put on the web. Here it is:

Hi Genie - Well, contrary to your statement below...we are cautious, thoughtful people and two of us went to Tiburon to observe the CVS issue there. The Tiburon CVS project is well underway; the only real issue being the fact that CVS cut down a large number of trees that had heretofore somewhat shielded the signage on the parcel, and the fact that CVS proposed two large red signs on two street frontages. The upshot of that meeting was that CVS agreed to eliminate the "extra" sign on Beach Road, but would erect a (I think) somewhat modified but still trademark red sign on Tiburon Blvd.

I think that the names Sebastopol Tomorrow and Committee for Small Town Sebastopol are perfectly suitable for those who share in our convictions. Those that don't might think of another name for their group, if they are organized enough to need a name. Maybe "kinda small town Sebastopol" or something like that. I'm sure you can come up one that suits all of you. Thanks for staying in touch. Cheers. Helen Shane btw, if anyone would like to send donations to Small Town Sebastopol, please go to

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...=PQP4AS959VZX6
    or, if you prefer, send your check to

Committee for Small Town Sebastopol,

c/o Exchange Bank, 720 Gravenstein Hwy. No. Sebastopol, CA 95472

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can
    change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that every has. MARGARET MEAD

51. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

52. TopTop #180
    sambacat
    Supporting member

I sent my donation. Thanks Helen, for speaking for most of us!

53. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: