Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Zeno Swijtink

Some Pictures of Hobbs's Takeover of the Jenkel Property

Hwy 116 is designated as a state scenic hwy. Permittable work along that road on private property is regulated by local agencies, in this case the County PRMD ...

5th District Supervisor is Efren Carillo: 707-565-2241 and [email protected]

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 21 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Zeno Swijtink

Re: Some Pictures of Hobbs's Takeover of the Jenkel Property

My friend Barbara Chasteen wrote this letter to Carillo.

Dear Mr Carrillo,

As a 40 year resident, landowner and voter in Sonoma County I am
    deeply disturbed at the recent destruction of trees by Mr Paul Hobbs
    and his associates in the Highway 116 corridor. His actions show that
    he has little respect for the well-being of our landscape and water
    supply, the opinions of the local community, nor the democratic
    process and the regulations of this County.

I am also concerned that the administration of Sonoma County appears
    to have evolved into a support structure for the unrestrained
    development of vineyards, instead of a balanced and deliberate
    stewardship dedicated to managing our precious resources for the good
    of us all. How can we as a rational community allow the conversion of
    a large tract of forested land for the purpose of a ridgetop vineyard
    in an area that is world renowned for its natural beauty, and even
    more important, an area that is experiencing serious challenges to its
    water supply.

I request that you investigate the legality of Mr Hobbes' recent and
    ongoing actions in devastating our environment for his own purposes.
    It is time to take seriously Highway 116's Scenic Corridor
    designation and the provisions of the Sonoma County General Plan.
    The General Plan and County ordinances protecting trees and other
    natural resources are surely not just marks on paper, but well-thought
    out intentions of a long democratic process that have the weight of
    justice behind them.

Sincerely,

Barbara Chasteen
    Sebastopol CA 95473

4. TopTop #3
    2Bwacco

...words cannot express my outrage at this typical vineyard tactic, the beginning salvo: chop everything down!

the date palm is an especially valuable plant with a somewhat shallow root system, can be relocated, or --- why couldn't it be left to provide necessary shade for the future vineyard workers????

soooo, this all started because Jenkel ALLEGEDLY flooded a century old stand of trees ... this commenced a legal action resulting in a $300,000 judgment against him? This 3 acre property was "auctioned" for $1,000.

something is very very seriously wrong in this county. Concerned citizens should seek help and redress outside the county of Sonoma.

5. TopTop #4
    Efren Carrillo

There are two Hobbs locations that have been cleared in the past few weeks...this will address them both.

A verbal stop work order has been issued for the project at 11835 Gravenstein Highway in Pocket Canyon. Hobbs commenced a timber clearing project under an approved timber harvest plan. However, the conditions of their Timberland Conversion Permit had not been completed prior to the commencement of this operation, as there were multiple conditions of the permit which have not been met. CalFire, the lead agency on the Timber Plan and Conversion, has initiated an investigation which will include North Coast Regional Quality Control Board and our PRMD Code Enforcement staff.

Additionally, the planner is requiring a hydrologic study as part of the use permit process, as well as evaluation of their proposal for reservoir reliance for irrigation.

The operation at the former Jenkel property adjacent to Paul Hobbs Winery on Highway 116 North of Graton was performed following a valid issued permit. The Agricultural Commissioner's office issued permits for the vineyard on these parcels.

The Agricultural Commission's office required Paul Hobbs to submit a biological survey for each parcel, and no rare plant species were observed on the parcels.

PRMD has no oversight in this area, as the land is currently zoned Diverse Agriculture, and the vineyard use is consistent with that zoning. The matter of the trees was considered, but the County’s Tree Protection Ordinance specifically exempts agricultural operations such as vineyards. There are no registered heritage trees on the property. Trees present on each of the parcels were primarily planted as windrows or ornamental trees around the residences and are not native to the site. Removal of the trees from each of the parcels does not require a permit from CalFire.

Scenic Corridor restrictions would not apply in this case because agricultural use is exempt. OSRC-3c specifically exempts “New barns and similar agricultural support structures added to existing farm complexes on parcels in the Diverse Agriculture zoning district” from setback requirements. However, because Hwy 116 is a designated State Scenic Highway, building plans would be subject to Administrative Design Review.

This post is an attempt to address numerousdistinct concerns/issues raised by members of the public in the aftermath of the sudden destruction of trees on these properties in the past week. While enforcement and penalties may be pursuedat Hillick Ranch, understandably the abrupt change to the landscape at both of these sitesis cause for our concern and inquiry. It is hard to understand why this course was taken, rather than trying to move some of the older specimen trees which could have been relocated due to their value. The pictures we've received speak a thousand sad words, and are food for thought.

6. TopTop #5
    caverly

This is outrageous rape of our beautiful land ; shame on you Hobbs for your destruction .

7. Gratitude expressed by 11 members:

8. TopTop #6
    Loel

Efren: You've written the 'perfect' legal justification for the greedy takeover and destruction of Mr. Jenkel's beautiful property. I can only imagine the smugness that you, Mr. Hobbs and all others involved must feel by these justifications. Integrity, transparency, fairness, and consideration for your community were blatantly absent from these actions or lack thereof leading to this takeover. Mr Jenkel may have been a pain in the butt at county board meetings, but he will be remembered as a modern American hero/martyr for his courageous, outspoken and truthful nature regarding America's undeclared wars and the corporate takeover of our once-great nation. It is so very obvious that certain people here were in fact out to do him damage. And what will the likes of you and Mr. Hobbs be remembered for? Being puppets for Sonoma County's destructive corporate wine-grape monoculture greed agenda??? Please, look in the mirror.

9. Gratitude expressed by 9 members:

10. TopTop #7
    greenbuddy

Re:The Redwood Empire? Shame on Us all

I am heart sick to see these trees cut in another approved land rape of the county. I have always loved The Redwood Empire,and it is unprotected in our neighborhoods. He with the most money WINS! So it seems. I think there ought to be a law against this kind of overnight vigilante action.Oh, there is? Sometimes progress is the ability to see the future,and the value of what you have right now with the sense to leave well enough alone. Blame us all for electing this current bunch of Global Thinkers to supervise our lives.You don't know what you've got til it's gone ring a bell anyone?

Our political heros will leave us with nothing, but gravel yards and clear cut lots full of rent/work retail spaces. No thanks. I curse the idiocy when I drive by this location daily,and will never share the light of my smile or the color of my money with this business. I feel completely let down by Efren, but not surprised after selling out Forestville.

11. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

12. TopTop #8
    2Bwacco

Re: The Redwood Empire? Shame on Us all

Quote Posted in reply to the post by greenbuddy: View Post
    ... I feel completely let down by Efren, but not surprised after selling out Forestville...

please expand on this statement? something i've missed? thanks

the vineyard "development" process includes 1) chopping down trees, 2) grading, flattening, moonscaping the soil, 3) sticking in multiple posts, rows of wire etc., 4) weedwhacking to eliminate any vegetation other than the grapevines. Frankly, it is beginning to feel like a particular madness: a wrath against everything but the grape.

I am taking steps to be sure my property never goes this route; i will never be a party to this. I don't care how much money these people may pay. Every occurrance like this makes me ever more steadfast and hardened.

oh, not only do they render the ground and landscape devoid of anything but grapes, soon along comes a mechanical monstrosity: the wind turbine. No living thing wants to be in the acreage so managed. Then it is made so no humans can sleep at night!

What is scenic about this?

13. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

14. TopTop #9
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

John Jenkel responds:
    Honk for Judge Chouteau behind bars
    The desecration shown below is a direct result of Sonoma County judicial officer Renné Auguste Chouteau conspiring against the constitutionally protected and guaranteed inalienable right of 9-11 Bounty Hunter John Jenkel to freely file for a court order to stop harassment. His dishonor is ripe for a death sentence under United States Code Title 18, Section 241, and under California Penal Code 37 for giving aid and comfort to enemies of the State of California, including embezzler Paul Hobbs and attorney John A. Holdredge, at the expense we, the congressionally betrayed and 675 murdered Californians and scenic Gravenstein Highway travelers.

15. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

16. TopTop #10
    caberens

Quote Posted in reply to the post by caverly: View Post
    This is outrageous rape of our beautiful land ; shame on you Hobbs for your destruction .
    I too am heart sick at the rape of this property. I drive by every day and was shocked when I first realized what had happened.
    Did they have to cut ALL the trees. Of course, the trees on the west side would shade the grapes. Disgusting. I will not be buying any of their wines.

17. Gratitude expressed by 10 members:

18. TopTop #11
    Roland Jacopetti

Shocking photos. I'm very pleased to read the reactions of my fellow Waccovians. Good on you, guys!

Of course, it's easy for the wino earth rapers like the Hobbses to sneer at the reactions of benighted West County people who probably drink cheap wine or - perish the thought! - no wine at all. Of course, we don't have to drink that wine. When we see it in markets and wine shops and liquor stores, we can suggest that the proprietors not support this wine maker, and even suggest that it's presence on his/her shelves might cause us to shop elsewhere. (Do the Hobbses make their own wine, or sell grapes to others?) We can do the same thing in restaurants where it's on the wine list, and suggest to our friends both in Sonoma County and elsewhere that they do the same thing.

As for Efren Carrillo, we can all make our displeasure with him public at the ballot box.

Keep up the good work.

Roland Jacopetti

19. Gratitude expressed by 11 members:

20. TopTop #12

Re: The Redwood Empire? Shame on Us all

Well, could've left a buffer of trees near the road but NO! After all there's value in that property and they had to squeeze every ounce of it out of it. Sad.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by greenbuddy: View Post
    I am heart sick to see these trees cut in another approved land rape of the county. I have always loved The Redwood Empire,and it is unprotected in our neighborhoods. He with the most money WINS! So it seems. I think there ought to be a law against this kind of overnight vigilante action.Oh, there is? Sometimes progress is the ability to see the future,and the value of what you have right now with the sense to leave well enough alone. Blame us all for electing this current bunch of Global Thinkers to supervise our lives.You don't know what you've got til it's gone ring a bell anyone?

Our political heros will leave us with nothing, but gravel yards and clear cut lots full of rent/work retail spaces. No thanks. I curse the idiocy when I drive by this location daily,and will never share the light of my smile or the color of my money with this business. I feel completely let down by Efren, but not surprised after selling out Forestville.

21. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

22. TopTop #13
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Here's a business idea for somebody:

A rating service for how eco-friendly each winery is...
    Give credit/blame where due...

23. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

24. TopTop #14
    "Mad" Miles

A Hobbsian Choice?

25. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

26. TopTop #15
    Ice Queen

This kind of degradation is taking place all over Sonoma County in the name of development
    I can't wait for some blight to devastate our vineyards as some kind of divine environmental
    payback. The major crime here is not the downing of trees but the county mismanagement of
    the whole Jenkel situation. This is obviously a man pushed off his pins. In my memory I remember
    Mr. Jenkel having the creativity to have a horse-drawn wagon business taking tours through the
    Graton area. Did the county shut that down??? Furthermore, why is Adult Protective Services not
    assisting this man? When they come after a non-violent person like this, when will they come for us???

27. Gratitude expressed by 9 members:

28. TopTop #16
    Imagery

Irony anyone?

Does anyone see the irony in this action?

This all started with Jenkel (allegedly?) flooding a stand of century-old trees - and Hobbs suing, pretending to be concerned about them? Then Hobbs chooses to destroy all the trees he can? I'm not at all surprised by Efren "Big-Business" Carrillo and his reaction. Check his pockets, see if he's been paid off to help big business again.

29. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

30. TopTop #17
    caverly

dear concerned neighbors ~~ What a terrible mess : legally for our neighbor Mr. Jenkel and for another winery corrupting the land and for the
    destruction of these beautiful and irreplaceable trees . Each horrible .
    Concerning Mr. Jenkel's being 'losing his land' , my { amateur } understanding is : Hobbs claimed Jenkel destroyed a stand of trees by flooding them , Hobbs went to court
    and got a $300,00 settlement against him { he did not hire a lawyer ; and Adult Protective could not do anything as he meets the basic definition of "competency",
    i.e. can brush teeth and dress himself and is able to pay bills }. Hobbs goes to the Sherriff's office and they 'auction ' off two 3-acre parcels of Jenkel's land { to address the $300,ooo court settlement } for $10,000 and $1,000 each . Obviously this land was worth far more but Mr. Jenkel got bamboozled ; and evidently
    Mr. Jenkel still owes approximatively $289,000 and owns another parcel of land with 3 houses . As Mr. Jenkel doesn't use lawyers , we can fear for further acquisition by Mr. Hobbs of what has been Mr. Jenkel's lovely land , income and home . Horrible .
    Wineries and their degradation of nature and our beautiful land is a major problem that needs to be addressed with local & state agencies and political
    powers-that-be !!!!!! The old statue that disallows protection for "agricultural " land seems to be the loop-hole for this degradation and the politicians who champion winerie's destruction and receive 'contributions' { are paid off } are also what allows this destruction to be encouraged and to continue . Horrible .
    I had a very meaningful conversation with Supervisor Carrillo's office just now { i spoke with Susan - i believe is his assistant } ; she was in tears over what has happened and i believe that she and Mr. Carillo are passionately upset about how this has played out . She is a neighbor and knows the ugly destruction that has taken place and it breaks her heart . She explained to me that Adult Protection can not intervene , that the provisions of 'logging' and land use that may not have been followed will now need to be addressed by agencies/court/whatever enforcement . I believe that Mr. Carillo's office has tried to communicate with Mr. Jenkel
    to encourage him to defend himself properly and that they are pained by this whole series of events and by the many angry/sad communications they have received
    'blaming ' them . Perhaps even more innocent people hurt by this Hobssian nightmare .. .. ..

31. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

32. TopTop #18
    2Bwacco

Re: Irony anyone?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Imagery: View Post
    Does anyone see the irony in this action?
    totally; that's precisely why the recounted history is important...it's also a possibility that Hobbs did the water destruction himself...who has the resources to defend against these bullies? seems all involved will not be happy until the long-time property owner is completely destroyed.

this Gravenstein Highway corridor is nearly completely transformed for the future: wine tasting room to wine tasting room - back to back

the idea of a rating system for the wineries is a good one.

watching KQED's documentary of The Save the Bay genesis back in 1961 got me to thinking perhaps we need to form a similar coalition... i.e. Save the Land or Save the Heritage Trees ... etc.

The Save the Bay foundation started with a small group of three well-connected, but righteously offended women around their kitchen tables...
    Last edited by Barry; 05-15-2011 at 11:16 PM.

33. Gratitude expressed by 10 members:

34. TopTop #19
    Roland Jacopetti

Early this year, after two bouts with pancreatitis in two years, the doc said "NO MORE ALCOHOL of any kind, not even non-alcoholic beer." O.K., says I, and abandoned my half-century wine jones. And you know what? I really don't miss it. So let's ask what's more important, a balanced agricultural plan for Sonoma County with diverse food-based crops that promote local food supplies and preservation of the natural beauty of the landscape...OR...acre after acre after acre of grapes to the horizon, grown solely to supply the world with expensive wines, half-drunk tourists wandering from one tasting to the next, clouds of pesticides and sulphur and enormous preemption of ever-scarcer water supplies. Let's face it, friends. We're on the downward slope with both food and water as population continues to grow and our leaders try to stymie any attempts to teach people old and young how not to have more children. What about a plan to license vineyards in the county only if they agree to plant half their land in food crops? How about a few fields of cannabis to replace the endless grapes? I'd like to put a bumper sticker on my car that says "Chardonnay was yesterday!"

Roland Jacopetti

35. Gratitude expressed by 10 members:

36. TopTop #20
    The Owl

The first time I drove past the devastation of this once beautiful landscape it was soul wounding. Tears welled in my eyes... I asked - What manner of man could do such a thing? Who allowed this to happen?

37. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

38. TopTop #21
    The Owl

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Pterosapiens: View Post
    The first time I drove past the devastation of this once beautiful landscape it was soul wounding. Tears welled in my eyes... I asked - What manner of man could do such a thing? Who allowed this to happen?
    Then it came... as the song says - "Well after all, it was you and me..."

39. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

40. TopTop #22
    Claire

I can't stand to see it happening in the West County.

I lived in the Geyserville hills surrounded by oak woodlands. Those groves were like fairy land, the magical quality obvious even at a distance. This was my view from home. Now they are gone, all gone and planted in vines. The hills were terraced so even the rolling countryside was botched forever. There was a race on to clear as much land before the "protection law" was in force. What a farce.

I remember when the gorgeous hill out front was being bulldozed. I felt like I was being punched in the gut. The machine operator left one beautiful oak at the top of the hill and although it looked awfully lonely, I also saw how large it was, this now solitary, beautiful tree with its moss swaying in the breeze. I got my hopes up that they would allow at least this one oak to remain and I could turn to it for comfort. It turned out that the bulldozer guy was just using it to shade his pick up for the day, then he crashed that one down, too.

I will never forget the sight of the white-tailed kite screaming over the bulldozer as it knocked its nest tree (with the babies in it) down in a splintering crash. (The white-tailed kite, a magnificent bird, was driven to the edge of extinction in the 30's and now has supposed full state protection.)

Then came the Round-up, the horrific (I'm not kidding) sulfur foggers, once a week during cooler or foggy nights and of course the endless irrigation to feed those thirsty vines and the smoke from greenwood prunings.

It took a full year for the huge grey pine tree in our yard to recover from... I'm assuming the thundering heavy machinery. It would not grow new needles and the whole tree wilted. It took me much longer to find even resignation, which was the best I could do.

I would very much welcome a rating of eco-practices of all the wineries including their level of respect for the indigenous plants/ trees/ landscape, not just the providing of a nice tourist-friendly lavender or stylish Mediterranean garden built over ravaged and destroyed habitat and once wild places.

41. Gratitude expressed by 12 members:

42. TopTop #23

It IS sad to see the wild and magical places disappearing and being replaced by the mono culture of vineyards. I suppose it could be argued (and it has) that this is better than building more housing developments and it is....but only a little. I for one will miss the the west county oak studded hillsides. I am guessing that given enough time, we will need to visit our parks to see what this county once looked like-to a certain extent that is already the case. At this point the best we can hope for is to follow Marin's lead and protect as much open land as possible, especially on our coast, and thank goodness for Landpaths and the Sonoma Country Land Trust who are doing just that.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by claire ossenbeck: View Post
    I can't stand to see it happening in the West County.

I lived in the Geyserville hills surrounded by oak woodlands. Those groves were like fairy land, the magical quality obvious even at a distance. This was my view from home. Now they are gone, all gone and planted in vines. The hills were terraced so even the rolling countryside was botched forever. There was a race on to clear as much land before the "protection law" was in force. What a farce.

I remember when the gorgeous hill out front was being bulldozed. I felt like I was being punched in the gut.... .
    Last edited by Barry; 05-15-2011 at 09:17 PM.

43. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

44. TopTop #24
    jbox

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Mad" Miles;134062][FONT="Times New Roman:

A Hobbsian Choice?
    [/FONT]

A Faustian bargain?

45. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

46. TopTop #25
    caberens

I found Mr. Hobbs wine web site and sent them an email. Boycott his wines.

47. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

48. TopTop #26
    Roland Jacopetti

By the way, it's very easy to find Paul Hobbs on the internet - sorry I forget to write the web address down. I note on the website his statement about paying attention being the secret of winemaking. So we have to assume that he'll pay attention to the email I've sent him and, hopefully, the ones you and your friends will send.

Roland

49. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

50. TopTop #27
    caberens

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Roland: View Post
    By the way, it's very easy to find Paul Hobbs on the internet - sorry I forget to write the web address down. I note on the website his statement about paying attention being the secret of winemaking. So we have to assume that he'll pay attention to the email I've sent him and, hopefully, the ones you and your friends will send.

Roland
    Yeah, and he talks about "family" values, how about valuing the earth, your neighbors, etc?
    Deena

51. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

52. TopTop #28
    Loel

STOP THE GRAPE RAPE: John Jenkel's experience can be a catalyst for a new sound and sensible approach to how our community's sustainable agriculture is laid out. Roland's suggestion for half of our vineyard land to be used for food crops is a refreshing bit of basic common sense. Unfortunately, our fascist government does not see it that way. I do not use that term lightly, as fascism is defined by "any authoritarian and hierarchical structure that is opposed to democracy and liberalism". So our county's actions, in lock step with the winos, that we witnessed at Jenkel's are clearly fascist. This should be of grave concern to all, as Sonoma County's food prices keep going higher, along with the price of gasoline needed to bring apples from Chile, oranges from Mexico, etc. And then there's the destruction of our wild, beautiful, and irreplaceable landscape that these wino-fascists make happen, for the ego-driven sake of their name on the label! If in doubt, just drive up Hwy.101 north of Geyserville to see many miles of dead landscape made by the Gallo family's doings, that destroyed five watershed canyons, and all their ancient oaks, madrones, wildlife, etc., for the almighty grape in the mid 80's. In 1996 they tried this at the MacMurray ranch on Westside Road, but were publicly embarrassed into stopping, when artists staged a publicized 'paint-in' of the beautiful landscape, to dramatize the destruction they were planning. So what can we, the real Americans (yep, Sarah, I betcha I'm more American than you ever were) who believe in democracy: government "by the people, for the people and of the people" do to stop this wino-fascist takeover?? We need mature, intelligent, brave, caring and HONEST individuals running our county government, not puppets like Carrillo and Chouteau who are led by the corporate wine cork. When Efren was running for office, I asked him if his campaign was funded by any corporate wine interests, and he refused to give me a straight answer, showing clearly a lack of integrity. So let's start by voting him out! And God bless you, John Jenkel!!

53. Gratitude expressed by 10 members:

54. TopTop #29
    caverly

Also under Paul Hobbs Winery on Google their is a place to write a "review" and post it for others to read .
    { Includes Google photo of tree lined road { which used to exist } . Also "related places " that destroyed the natural habitat
    to grow wines : Dehlinger , Watkins FAmily , Woodenhead , Dunah , Mutt Lynch and Windsor Oaks ; as described Geyserville
    and so many areas have alllready been "destroyed" ; can this be stopped ???!!!!

55. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

56. TopTop #30
    Claire

Hobbs goes to the Sherriff's office and they 'auction ' off two 3-acre parcels of Jenkel's land { to address the $300,ooo court settlement } for $10,000 and $1,000 each . Obviously this land was worth far more but Mr. Jenkel got bamboozled ; .. ..
    Right there!
    $10,000 and $1,000 for 3-acre parcels!
    That is the bull's eye in this case, right?

57. Gratitude expressed by 7 members: