Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Imagery

Who accepts grass for composting?

I know that we can use the green waste can provided to us, but I have a lot more than a single bin worth of grass clippings. Currently, my bin is full, the neighbor lent us their bin, which is full, and I have at least three or four more weeks worth at this rate. I'd say it can probably fill a full-size truck level to the bed (or more).

The place down on Llano Road charges people to accept lawn clippings, and I'd like to find a resource that doesn't charge for bringing them raw product to re-sell.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    hales

Re: Who accepts grass for composting?

perhaps you could learn to compost it and use it on site.. even recycling (on industrial or commercial scale) takes resources, such as human labor, diesel fuel, etc.. Some mowers will actually chop the grass up fine enough to leave it in place as a fine mulch on the lawn, which I believe is actually good for it.. Just a suggestion. Maybe someone will come and take away your "valuable resource", ie green compost.. :)

Scott.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Imagery: View Post
    I know that we can use the green waste can provided to us, but I have a lot more than a single bin worth of grass clippings. Currently, my bin is full, the neighbor lent us their bin, which is full, and I have at least three or four more weeks worth at this rate. I'd say it can probably fill a full-size truck level to the bed (or more).

The place down on Llano Road charges people to accept lawn clippings, and I'd like to find a resource that doesn't charge for bringing them raw product to re-sell.

3. TopTop #3
    Imagery

Quote Posted in reply to the post by hales: View Post
    perhaps you could learn to compost it and use it on site.. even recycling (on industrial or commercial scale) takes resources, such as human labor, diesel fuel, etc.. Some mowers will actually chop the grass up fine enough to leave it in place as a fine mulch on the lawn, which I believe is actually good for it.. Just a suggestion. Maybe someone will come and take away your "valuable resource", ie green compost.. :)

Scott.
    Thank you for your reply. I'm not much of a gardener, however, and would have a difficult time using an estimated 3 cubic yards(??) of lawn clippings even if I learned how to compost it. I posted this after finishing my front yard, in anticipation of mowing the ~.3 acre backyard, where the grass is around a foot tall. Last year, I had a neighbor who was able to use it at his workplace, but that project ended. He took 3 or 4 full-size truckloads. I'm able to mow, rake, load and deliver the clippings to someone who can use them on this scale.

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #4
    Imagery

Thanks to the community for the private replies. I've had a couple of private responses from people who would be happy to accept the extra grass clippings. I'll be picking up a trailer this weekend, mowing and delivering a LOT of clippings.

6. Gratitude expressed by: