Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    fafner

Tax cuts for the wealthy

As I see it, the Republicans want to continue the tax cuts for the wealthy, because they say it will make jobs.

I read the following from the Reagan dictum--Trust, but verify.

Fine, continue the tax cuts for the wealthy, but verify that that tax cut actually generates jobs. This seems to be an area where the government fails time after time. Someone makes a claim, but no one seems to verify that the claim is a verifiable one.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    spam1

Re: Tax cuts for the wealthy

For the most part, I think the feeling of conservatives is that we should be more self-sufficient and not rely on the government for handouts. As it is, 43 percent of tax filers pay no income tax at all; we are very close to the situation where more people get money from the government than pay into it. It used to be thought that reducing the revenue would reduce spending, because no one would consider running such big deficits. Now it is clear that is not the case either; and that is really what spurs on most so-called Tea Party members. Tax cuts for the wealthy really means letting these people keep about half of their next earned dollar; It seems to me that we should require everyone to pay a little bit; even if it is just 1%; when so many "taxpayers" don't even pay 1% income taxes, it's very easy to be for increased taxes on others and not be critical of how money is spent. Even so, we clearly can't get out of this with just cuts, but most conservatives would trade increased progressive taxes for real reform (cuts) in federal spending; I know I would. But it's also clear that if revenues are increased with increased taxes on high earners, it will likely just provide a further boost to federal spending.
    And, it always bothers me when letting someone keep their own money is called "additional spending", it's not the same as taking money from me and giving it to someone else.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by fafner: View Post
    As I see it, the Republicans want to continue the tax cuts for the wealthy, because they say it will make jobs.

I read the following from the Reagan dictum--Trust, but verify.

Fine, continue the tax cuts for the wealthy, but verify that that tax cut actually generates jobs. This seems to be an area where the government fails time after time. Someone makes a claim, but no one seems to verify that the claim is a verifiable one.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email