Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    JuliaB

Breathing life into the Science and Spirit Category!

Hello Wacco-ites!

I have been away for awhile, working on a lot of projects and traveling. However, it has been my intention for some time to begin a regular weekly post here on wacco, with a focus on different subjects within "Science and Spirit ". Well, it's time! I have been attending (and presenting) at the Science and Nonduality Conference this weekend and feeling inspired by the breadth and depth of the insight there. Stay tuned for some reflection on some of the ideas presented.

These weekly posts will highlight various important, and perhaps controversial, subjects. I will be offering articles, links and references, where available.

My intention is to hold a neutral space here on this forum. This doesn't mean I don't have my own views. This does mean, of course, that all perspectives are welcome, as long as they are not rude, derogatory, ranting, or simply to convert.

Respectful and reasonable conversation evolves us personally and collectively. In the virtual world, it is easy to find places where there are polarized positions, rudeness and misinformation. Its also easy to find folks who are only interested in their own opinion and get a bit nasty when others don't agree with them. It's also very easy to misinterpret what someone writes in a negative light that it wasn't meant to be in.

In spite of all this, I feel it's vitally important to have a place where we can think about issues and ideas and share insights. A place where we can see it from various perspectives, remembering that those who disagree with us can help to sharpen our wits and expand our understanding. Let us give each other the benefit of the doubt. May we all continue to grow more understanding!

I invite you all to post on subjects of interest to you.
    Some of the subjects I'll be posting about are (the titles may change):

Theism and Atheism

What is Spirituality? What is Science?

Science, Skeptics and God

Mysticism and Neuroscience

Altered States of Consciousness

Evolution, Emergence and Complexity

Energy Medicine: What do we really know?

There are so many assumptions, and misunderstandings that go on in the arena where science and spirituality overlap. Those more scientifically inclined can feel frustrated with those in the spiritual camp and what might be judged as misuses of science. The more materially oriented crew get accused of being rigid about any spiritual belief that does not conform to what they consider to be “reality”. Likewise, those in the more spiritual camp get accused of believing without thinking through details in a logical fashion. It just “feels” good. This experiential criteria is not necessarily bad or wrong, we all use it for many things. However, when science (and logic) comes into the room, it can make a challenging conversation. On the other side, the spiritually inclined may see science as limited because it can’t prove something that seems intuitively true. The two ways of evaluating reality seem to be very different languages. And of course, emotions are a big part of human processing. Let us keep this in mind!

yours truly,

Julia Bystrova
    Science and Spirit Moderator

Last edited by Alex; 10-24-2010 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Fixed formatting
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

3. TopTop #2
    AllorrahBe

Re: Breathing life into the Science and Spirit Category!

Well, this certainly sounds interesting... you Go, Girl!
    Rev. Allorrah Be
    Mobile Minister
    Circles of Light Ministries

Quote Posted in reply to the post by JuliaB: View Post
    Hello Wacco-ites!

I have been away for awhile, working on a lot of projects and traveling. ...

Last edited by Alex; 10-25-2010 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Shortened quoted text
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email