Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Valley Oak

Spreading lies about abortion

Should an organization opposed to abortion be allowed to advertise that it provides "abortion services"?

Of course not. But anti-choice "crisis pregnancy centers" (CPCs) have used this trick to fool women for years.

We need action in Congress to stop the lies for good. Tell Lynn C. Woolsey (202) 225-5161
    Contact Email Form
    to support a new bill that will protect women from CPCs' manipulative advertisements.

NARAL Pro-Choice America: Home..

Our campaign is already off to a fantastic start. Today, my team sent our letter with more than 59,809 signatures to YellowPages.com and SuperPages.com asking them to remove misleading CPC ads from their sites. But anti-choice CPCs are still blanketing buses, billboards, and even the airwaves with their falsehoods.

Now we must take the next step. We need a federal bill to put an end to deceptive CPC ads everywhere.

Many CPCs do whatever it takes to block women from choosing abortion. We've heard it all: lies about abortion and condoms, guilt-trips, and harassing follow-up phone calls.

But before a CPC can inflict emotional damage on women, they must get them in the door. And that's where the false ads come in.

Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-N.Y.) is trying to change all that. She's introduced a bill, the Stop Deceptive Advertising for Women's Services Act, that would finally hold CPCs accountable for false advertising by allowing the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) to penalize CPCs that advertise abortion-care services or counseling that they do not offer.

Urge your representative to co-sponsor the Stop Deceptive Advertising for Women's Services Act today.

It's fine for groups that oppose abortion to advertise. But they shouldn't be
    allowed to advertise abortion services that they clearly don't provide. And many CPCs have crossed this line for years.

How long will we let CPCs mislead women?

We need more members of Congress - including Lynn C. Woolsey
    (202) 225-5161
    Contact Email Form
    - to speak up loudly in support of this bill so that women stop being deceived.

We are working to end these lies from every angle - and that means getting our lawmakers involved, too. Take action today.

My heart sinks every time I hear about a woman who was forced to hear lies and lectures from a CPC when what she needed was the truth. The Stop Deceptive Advertising for Women's Services Act can protect women seeking real health care from being tricked into going to an anti-choice CPC.

We need to give this effort everything we've got. Thank you for all you do to protect a woman's right to choose.

Tell your friends about the Choice Action Network - click here
    https://action.prochoiceamerica.org/...XI2uBxbaAhe6CQ.. .
    If you received this message from a friend, you can sign up for the Choice Action Network - click here

NARAL Pro-Choice America: Sign Up.. .
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    LenInSebastopol

Re: Spreading lies about abortion

Now I know why such a "legal" action for this bill was taken: Gallup Poll May 7-10 finds 51% of Americans calling themselves "Pro-Life" and 42% "Pro-Choice"!

I am positive Lynn Woolsey supports this bill and would not doubt it for a New York second.
    The characterization of CPC and context placed around this article are as fantastic as a PG 13 vampire movie. In my view it "protects" women as if they were to stupid to know the difference between abortion and full term delivery. For me it posses the notion that the girl or woman exists in some existential vacuum with no knowledge at all, as if she believed she got pregnant off a toilet seat. I've no doubt one could find girls/women that believe Elvis or Michael were removed by space aliens and put that in a commercial, but be advised that most folks have a modicum of common sense and being told "your pregnant" is as awakening as "you have cancer", both of which put a whole new meaning on life.
    While it is more than an absolute truth that a single mother, young with no diploma, has an all-but-guaranteed future in poverty (that also says a ton about the males) putting this issue in terms delineated by the posted screed puts the same half-truth spin as we all try to avoid. I mean "you have a chance to win an IPAD if you come to our abortion clinic" (by Planned Parenthood) has an extremely odious context to the issue.
    The "harassed", "intimidated", "bullied" tags are hysterical language that far exceeds the common sense context of a normal, daily goings on in the CPC.
    To be sure, in a time of emotional upset, the girl or woman is in need of comfort and aid and from my experience there is more comfort given in CPC than an abortion clinic. I've known only a dozen and a half women, but I would bet a reliable source of statistics would uphold this position in any longitudinal study.
    Think of it: 49 MILLION deaths over 4 decades!
    Without the political spin it would be called genocide.
    I can see why this bill spins out so, as people learn and think the truth on abortion, others feel they must shut it down. Deny speech, deny association of persons, deny basic rights to others but in this case it is difficult to say they are "doing it for the children".
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email