Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Dark Shadows

The Poorest of the Poor Help Each Other in South Africa

LAMINI Street in Ivory Park came alive with excitement as builders lined the road, singing and dancing after completing the construction phase of the YouthBuild 2010 project.

Human settlements deputy minister Zoe Kota-Fredericks helps paint a house

The aim of the project was to build 76 sustainable brick and mortar houses for senior citizens in just two weeks - which was accomplished on Thursday, 3 June.
    "The houses were built to top-level of construction which is roof-level. We will be finishing them off in a couple of days," said Clayton Peters, the head of skills, development and youth services in the National Youth Development Agency.
    "Most of the houses are completed, though some need to be plastered and some still need to be painted."
    Human Settlements Deputy Minister Zoe Kota-Fredericks was on site on the final day of construction. She donned blue overalls and a yellow hard hat to lend a hand painting one of the houses.
    "I am humbled by the message of the young people here today, and thankful for the support we received from all during this project, including the volunteers," she said. "No longer can people say our youngsters are not making a difference, as we can see here that they are ... This is not the last day; this is just the beginning."
    Fifty of the builders on the Ivory Park project were involved in the YouthBuild 2010 skills programme which ran for a year. They completed the skills programme in March, and were called to duty to help build the houses in Ivory Park.

Deputy minister Zoe Kota-Fredericks and councillor Petros Zitha with one of the beneficiaries

About 50 community members volunteered to help, while 80 staff members of the National Youth Development Agency came out to help. The majority of the workers were women. "Construction is very male-dominated, and we want to change that," said Peters.
    The City of Johannesburg partnered with the Gauteng department of housing and local government, National Youth Development Agency, national Department of Human Settlements, YouthBuild International, Construction CETA and National Homebuilders Registration Council to build the houses in wards 77, 78, 79 and 80 in Ivory Park.
    All the stakeholders joined together to raise consciousness about the construction sector and the role of the youth in it. The aim of the project is to promote youth access to economic opportunities within the housing sector and promote volunteerism as well as partnership among communities.
    Related stories:
    Read more: city of johannesburg - Houses built in Ivory Park

taken from the "City of Johannesburg website (www.joburg.org.za)";
    article written by: JeVanne Gibbs
    Last edited by Dark Shadows; 06-08-2010 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Add Acknowledgements
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Dark Shadows

Re: The Poorest of the Poor Help Each Other in South Africa

[
    Community soccer games kick off

Written by Makoena Pabale
    Wednesday, 24 December 2008
    It is tradition in Soweto to play community football over the festive season, with the Godfrey Moloi Goodwill Games already in full swing and the KwaMahlobo Festive Games beginning after Christmas.
    I
    Teams about to battle it out in the 2007 Godfrey Moloi games

T is the festive season, and traditionally time for nimble-footed soccer and netball players to take to dusty Soweto grounds for a feast of games.
    The annual Godfrey Moloi Goodwill Games kicked off on 16 December, and matches are taking place at the Mapetla Sports Complex until 31 December. In all, 24 men's soccer teams and 16 ladies' netball teams are participating this year.
    The winning soccer team will take home R40 000, while the winning netball team will get R12 000. The men's number two team will receive R20 000. Teams in the top eight will each get R1 000 and tracksuits.
    And by the end of the tournament, participating teams will not be the only winners - 24 needy families in Soweto will also benefit.
    According to the tournament director, Zero Johnson Junior, each of the 24 participating teams had to identify a poor family in their areas; the games' organisers would then buy groceries for those families.
    They would spend between R500 and R700, depending on the discounts they received from grocery stores. "We saw this as an opportunity to give back to the community because it has been supporting this tournament since its establishment in 1979," Johnson said.
    The participating fee for the men's soccer tournament is R800 per team; netball teams enter for free and admission is free for spectators. For more information call the tournament director, Zero Johnson Junior, on 082 430 3077.
    KwaMahlobo Games
    Over in Meadowlands, also in Soweto, fans are preparing their cooler bags and camp chairs in anticipation of the KwaMahlobo Festive Games. Now in its 14th year, the tournament kicks off on Saturday, 27 December and ends on 11 January 2009.
    Participating teams in the two-week soccer extravaganza come from as far afield as Rustenburg, Vaal and Mpumalanga, to battle it out against Soweto teams, with Sophiatown Arsenal the title defenders this year.
    The primary aim of the tournament, according to the games' public relations officer, Dlongolo Ntenjwa, is to revive the spirit of amateur football, hence the matches are played on a rough, dusty piece of land and there are no grandstands for fans.
    "The event also looks at reducing crime in the township," Ntenjwa said. "It is a wonderful opportunity for unemployed people to earn themselves money by selling food and beverages so that they have money to pay for their children's school fees next year."
    There will be loads of prizes, with the winners taking home R20 000, a trophy, three sets of soccer kits and 22 gold medals. The runner-up team will receive R8 000, three sets of soccer kits and 20 silver medals.
    Teams in third and fourth places will each receive R1 500 and soccer kits. All the teams in the top eight will receive balls.
    At the end of the tournament, the top goal scorer and the man of the tournament will each receive R500 and a trophy, courtesy of Altech Autopage Cellular, and Royal Bafokeng, a community-based investment company.
    Spectators will receive T-shirts and water bottles.
    As usual, a professional soccer star produced by these community games will be honoured; this year it is the turn of Reneilwe Letsholonyane, who now plays for Kaizer Chiefs.
    Other players who got their start at these games include Benedict Vilakazi, Teko Modise, Excellent Walaza and Scara Ngobese.
    Even though the tournament was a major success, Ntenjwa called on more sponsors to come on board, as the organisers still needed toilet facilities and a fence.
    Participating fee for each team is R1 000; admission for spectators is free. For more information, call the games' public relations officer, Dlongolo Ntenjwa, on 083 595 3924.
    Related stories:

Read more: city of johannesburg - Community soccer games kick off

3. TopTop #3
    Dark Shadows

With love from South Africa:

Joburgers clean their city
    Written by Rudo Mungoshi
    Monday, 07 June 2010

More than 72 places in Johannesburg were cleaned by the City and volunteers during Shanyela Amabala on Saturday.
    VERY early in the morning, Susan Twala was in Ellis Park with her four children, to pick up rubbish in the area as part of the City's annual Shanyela Amabala campaign.
    Executive mayor Amos Masondo and the City deputy director of communications Nthatisi Modingoane busy cleaning up a street

A resident of Mulbarton, Twala was one of the many volunteers who responded to the City's call to clean up on Saturday, 5 June. "It has been a wonderful day," she said. "I have managed to fill up five bags and I am already feeling hungry despite the fact that I brought bread [to eat]."
    She gave her reasons for participating in the campaign: "I want the world to see a clean and beautiful city when they come to watch the 2010 FIFA World Cup™."
    The city was in frantic activity on the day, as church groups, non-governmental organisations, communities, celebrities, companies and individuals pitched in to clean the streets. The campaign was organised by Pikitup to change residents' mindsets as well as showcase a cleaner Joburg during the football tournament.
    Shanyela Amabala was held in more than 72 locations. Volunteers were engaged in a range of activities, including the cleaning up of local streets and landscapes. Areas that were cleaned up included the Chris Hani Baragwanath Taxi Rank in Soweto, Ivory Park, Orlando Stadium and Industria West.
    Volunteer
    Scheree Penhall, another volunteer, described how much she and her family had enjoyed taking part in the campaign. "It was loads of fun and my kids enjoyed picking up litter from the streets ... It is the first time I am participating in such an event and I will always try to get the children to do something useful for society."
    Penhall had driven all the way with her two children from Mondeor to Ellis Park to take part.
    Launched in 2009, Shanyela Amabala spreads a message of hope and encouragement to people of different ages and social levels to address the most pressing environment challenges of the city.
    The executive director of the City's health directorate, Refik Bismilla, cleans up a street in Soweto

Wearing bright green and blue overalls, City officials were also seen picking up litter all over Joburg. Executive Mayor Amos Masondo, who was in very high spirits, was among them.
    During a tour to Orlando Stadium in Soweto, Industria West, Ellis Park and Mary Fitzgerald Square in Newtown to drum up support for the campaign, Masondo said the City was using the pressure of the World Cup to clean up.
    "We are moving closer to making Johannesburg a world-class city. This work cannot be achieved unless we form a partnership with other organisations."
    Environment
    Media organisations that were involved in spearheading the clean up campaign included radio stations YFM and Highveld 94.7, and The Citizen newspaper. Masondo highlighted the importance of educating young people about conserving the environment
    "Every adult has a responsibility to ensure positive influence on the youngsters. If we do that more often, I am quite sure that we will have a better society," he said.
    The member of the mayoral committee for transport, Rehana Moosajee, encouraged people to come out in large numbers to participate in the campaign. "It is quite disturbing to see people throwing litter on the ground despite the fact that the city provides plastic bags," she said. "It is important to teach our children lifelong habits on how to dispose and recycle waste."
    City residents help clean up Johannesburg

She also urged commuters not to throw litter from the window of vehicles.
    Rafik Bismilla, the City's executive director of health, said the campaign was in line with Johannesburg's continuous efforts to enhance the quality of life of its residents.
    "More managers should come out their offices and participate in such activities. There is no better way of understanding on how things are done on the ground," he said. "A clean area contributes highly to improved mental health ... If you live in a dirty area, it creates depression and hopelessness."
    Sanjeev Raghubir, the chairman of Pikitup's operations committee, described the campaign as a great success. "I am pleased to see the media embracing the campaign. [However,] we can still do more to create awareness about waste management."
    Related stories:

Read more: city of johannesburg - Joburgers clean their city

4. TopTop #4
    Valley Oak

I had understood that "Dark Shadow" (appropriate handle) had cancelled their membership. Guess I was wrong.

5. TopTop #5
    Dark Shadows

Valley Oak (inappropriate handle, an oak is a beautiful tree, not Adrian E. Mendosa), why do you care if I cancel my membership or not? Because I called you on your ridiculous sexual harrassment of others on this site?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Valley Oak: View Post
    I had understood that "Dark Shadow" (appropriate handle) had cancelled their membership. Guess I was wrong.