Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    gaildeer

Affectionate dog needs a home

Bear is a white 90 pound 4 year old neutered male, full of love and eager to please. His owner died in January and he is just too enthusiastic for my little grandson to be safe with. He is a sweet, loving dog and I cannot keep him. Can you help?
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Dark Shadows

Re: Affectionate dog needs a home

What is Bear's breed? A 90 pound animal needs training if it is going to be adoptable. The dog's breed is important information because it usually will determine the dog's trainability. If the animal is leash trained and house-broken he will have a much better chance of being adopted. If you are willing to bring him to where I am, I can help with training. I've worked with an animal behaviorist in training a large malamute/wolf mix and now a dingo. Both are difficult to train, but well worth the time and effort. They are beautiful animals and more intelligent than many humans I've met. With proper training a 90 pound dog could be an excellent companion (even a babysitter) for your grandson. If you are worried about safety, then you should seriously think about training Bear before giving him to another family, and if he has ever snapped at the 4 year old, you should keep them separated.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by gaildeer: View Post
    Bear is a white 90 pound 4 year old neutered male, full of love and eager to please. His owner died in January and he is just too enthusiastic for my little grandson to be safe with. He is a sweet, loving dog and I cannot keep him. Can you help?

3. TopTop #3
    Dark Shadows

On the same subject, I was walking my dog on a city street today when I saw two large bull mastiffs off leash almost a block ahead of us. I asked the woman standing next to them if she could please put them on leash. She replied "they're not my dogs". The man she was with was busy getting something from his metallic-colored Hummer that was parked on the curb next to the dogs. I said again "Please put your dogs on leash". The man in the Hummer wasn't concerned (he was obviously a body builder and about 6 foot 4). He said "what are you talkin' about they're on a down-stay". I said, "are you sure about this? As I gripped by dog's leash tighter". If any dog tried to attack my dog, he would fight back and he has huge jaws that would snap another dog's leg in a second. The two bull mastiffs looked nervous, and started to whine, like a dog does when he want to attack another dog. The man was laughing at me. As we approached the dogs started to get up and go for my dog. The man yelled "Down!" and they obeyed, but only reluctantly. The woman he was with also looked pale, like she knew something was going to happen. The people walking behind me said "yeah, put your dogs on leash", quietly, like they didn't want to provoke the body builder. I walked past with my dog and felt that there are enough idiots in this world, let alone idiots with killer dogs. I think that I should have been able to do a citizen's arrest because this man had his dogs off leash in the city limits where it is illegal. I heard that you can do this if someone is obviously breaking the law and the police aren't there to enforce the law. I'm not positive though and want to be prepared should this happen again. My sister says that I should have turned around and gone the other direction away from the dogs when I saw them. That would mean circling an entire city block when my back was already killing me (I have a herniated disk in my lower back) to get to my destination which was my bank's ATM machine. What should I have done? I have run into this kind of problem before, usually people with large dogs (mastiffs, rottweillers, dobermans) that are not trained well are involved. I don't want to give these breeds a bad name, they are excellent dogs for the right purpose, but they need to be trained.

4. TopTop #4
    Shandi

If I had my cell phone with me, I would have taken note of the license number, and called the police. If not, I would have asked someone to call for me. This person needs a warning from someone who has the authority to do something. Trying to make a citizen's arrest might not be the wisest
    thing to do.

Glad you escaped without incident. It's unfortunate that many owners of these breeds don't take the responsibility serious enough, by not taking
    unnecessary risks like you encountered.

I would encourage anyone to turn around if possible, and avoid the
    risk.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dark Shadows: View Post
    On the same subject, I was walking my dog on a city street today when I saw two large bull mastiffs off leash almost a block ahead of us. I asked the woman standing next to them if she could please put them on leash. She replied "they're not my dogs". The man she was with was busy getting something from his metallic-colored Hummer that was parked on the curb next to the dogs. I said again "Please put your dogs on leash". The man in the Hummer wasn't concerned (he was obviously a body builder and about 6 foot 4). He said "what are you talkin' about they're on a down-stay". I said, "are you sure about this? As I gripped by dog's leash tighter". If any dog tried to attack my dog, he would fight back and he has huge jaws that would snap another dog's leg in a second. The two bull mastiffs looked nervous, and started to whine, like a dog does when he want to attack another dog. The man was laughing at me. As we approached the dogs started to get up and go for my dog. The man yelled "Down!" and they obeyed, but only reluctantly. The woman he was with also looked pale, like she knew something was going to happen. The people walking behind me said "yeah, put your dogs on leash", quietly, like they didn't want to provoke the body builder. I walked past with my dog and felt that there are enough idiots in this world, let alone idiots with killer dogs. I think that I should have been able to do a citizen's arrest because this man had his dogs off leash in the city limits where it is illegal. I heard that you can do this if someone is obviously breaking the law and the police aren't there to enforce the law. I'm not positive though and want to be prepared should this happen again. My sister says that I should have turned around and gone the other direction away from the dogs when I saw them. That would mean circling an entire city block when my back was already killing me (I have a herniated disk in my lower back) to get to my destination which was my bank's ATM machine. What should I have done? I have run into this kind of problem before, usually people with large dogs (mastiffs, rottweillers, dobermans) that are not trained well are involved. I don't want to give these breeds a bad name, they are excellent dogs for the right purpose, but they need to be trained.

5. TopTop #5
    CowGal

I was kind of concerned about the person who bred the Pit Rotweiller puppies, to sell for $200 each? I was surprised that someone was doing that. That's a bad mix. I think that person should be encouraged to spay her dog.

I work with dogs training them to be service animals. I saw a child in a walker today that just made me want to cry. Her parents couldn't afford a wheelchair. She was struggling to get around. She was about 9 years old. A dog like this woman has could probably be trained to be a service dog to this girl. I'm new to this, how do I contact her

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post
    If I had my cell phone with me, I would have taken note of the license number, and called the police. If not, I would have asked someone to call for me. This person needs a warning from someone who has the authority to do something. Trying to make a citizen's arrest might not be the wisest
    thing to do.

Glad you escaped without incident. It's unfortunate that many owners of these breeds don't take the responsibility serious enough, by not taking
    unnecessary risks like you encountered.

I would encourage anyone to turn around if possible, and avoid the
    risk.

6. TopTop #6
    CowGal

Any takers on the dog? I think he's a bit old to train for service, but I'd be willing to take a look at him. I see a need for large dogs all the time.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by gaildeer: View Post

7. TopTop #7
    Krispi

Quote Posted in reply to the post by CowGal: View Post
    Any takers on the dog? I think he's a bit old to train for service, but I'd be willing to take a look at him. I see a need for large dogs all the time.

What kind of dog is this?