My professional association just posted a notice of the dangers posed by unerased memory in copy machines. You can watch a short video from a news outlet describing the problem here: Copy machines, a security risk? [VIDEO]

Count me among the 60% of Americans who did not know that digital copiers store every document copied on them in memory. When these copiers are sold, the memory is not erased. The reporters purchased several copiers from a warehouse then removed and printed out the memory. A Buffalo NY police department computer listed hundreds of drug users, and a health insurer's computer provided names, addresses, and very private medical information on thousands of clients.

This perfectly illustrates the Law of Unintended Consequences. There does not appear to be any button one can push on the copiers at Kinko's or Staples to erase memory. I have copied client files and my own income tax forms on these copiers for years, and now I feel very vulnerable. Any thoughts on how to defeat this information leak?