I saw a retelling of a story that happened in Florida in 1979. A man goes to a restaurant he used to frequent. He goes to the restroom and says high to the restroom attendant. He tells the attendant of how bad his year had been. he lost his job and his wife. He was at the restaurant to meet his wife to see if they could patch things up her and to kill time before his big job interview. His pessimism was getting the better of him. He said to the attendant that there was no way in hell he was getting the job and that it was a joke that he'd even have a chance getting his wife back. The attendant said he was correct. there was no way this man could get his wife back and this job unless changed that negative attitude. he told the man that he understands that he had a bad stretch of luck but the best way to turn it around was to say "THIS IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF MY LIFE"

He goes out thinking this mantra as he talks to his wife. She misses him but also hated his negativity, but all she saw was the old him, saying he was going to call her after he gets the new job to celebrate. She agrees to give him another chance.

He then turns around after she leaves and run into a waiter and gets red wine all over his suit. He yells at the waiter and the MaitreDi about the accident and they are of no help. He goes to the rest room and the attendant says he can remove the stains. He comes back 10 minutes later, barely in time to get the the interview.

He nails the interview and comes back to the restaurant to look for the attendant and speaks with the MaitreDi. He said Thanks to the Attendant I was able to nail that interview. The maitreDi said that was impossible. The last attendant they had died 6 months ago, after the man stopped frequenting the restaurant.

We do not know if the man imagined the whole thing or not. All we know is he is still married to this day and now owns the company, cause everyday he treats as if it is the first day of the rest of his life.