Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

PD Editorial: No on Proposition 16

I agree completely! I am very disappointed to see this greedy play by PG&E. As big power companies go, I think PG&E is one of the better ones, with many innovative programs around improving efficiency and reducing demand for their product (thanks to the PUC regulations). However this move is quite selfish, mis-represented and sneaky.

Barry

PD Editorial: No on Proposition 16 | PressDemocrat.com

PD Editorial: No on Proposition 16
    Published: Sunday, April 18, 2010 at 3:00 a.m.

The long slow descent of California’s initiative process has reached a new trough with Proposition 16 on the June 8 ballot.

In fact, a process that was created to protect the right of the general public to amend or overturn the high jinks of a state Legislature often controlled by special interests, has been turned on its head.

Now it’s the ballot initiatives that do the bidding of special interests, and there’s no longer any pretense about it.

Proposition 16 is almost entirely funded by PG&E and for good reason. The utility has the most to gain from its passage.

To make matters worse, this corporate handout is being billed as a taxpayer protection measure. Don’t be fooled.

If approved, Proposition 16 would require all publicly owned electric utilities, such as Healdsburg’s, to obtain two-thirds voter approval before spending any money or incurring any debt to “expand electric delivery service.”

That means that just about any expansion or development of new service — including investments in alternative energy production — or annexation of a new area would have to go to a vote and get two-thirds approval.

Here’s a local example. Healdsburg recently annexed the Grove Street neighborhood, a relatively small stretch of houses and buildings south of Dry Creek Road.

City Councilman Gary Plass notes that although the annexation had the approval of the city, county and Local Agency Formation Council, the utility district, if Proposition 16 were enacted, would have required two public votes: One from Grove Street property owners and a second by all the people in Healdsburg. Both would have needed a two-thirds majority for the annexation to move forward.

The proposition also applies to the activities of joint powers agencies, such as the Northern California Power Agency, of which Healdsburg is a member.

A two-thirds majority also would be required before a city or county could explore what is known as community choice aggregation, a method for procuring alternative energy supplies that was recently adopted by Marin County.

Ann Hancock of the Climate Protection Campaign in Sonoma County says Proposition 16 “is like a stun gun for everyone else but PG&E.”

The utility stands the most to gain because the measure would squelch competition by making it nearly impossible for cities to get into the power business or expand and improve on what they have now.

But cities also are prohibited by law from spending taxpayer money in supporting or opposing a state proposition. So there most of the organized opposition is localized.

This is why just about every city-owned utility — long the bane of PG&E’s existence — has come out in opposition to Proposition 16. So has the AARP, The Utility Reform Network, the Sierra Club, CALPIRG, the League of Women Voters and many other organizations.

PG&E has so far spent $35 million on this campaign — one large bet that California voters won’t do their homework. We believe it’s a losing gamble.

The Press Democrat strongly recommends a no vote on Proposition 16.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    2Bwacco

Re: PD Editorial: No on Proposition 16

agree this proposition should be defeated; plus -- how dare PG&E waste funds to propose this at all!!! the funds for this endeavor came from money we pay to the utility!

this proposition is trying to appeal to voters by saying -- "it's your decision to make...don't let someone else make it for you!" but PG&E is really just trying to eliminate any competition in the marketplace!

the monopoly that PG&E holds has bothered me for quite a while: whenever there is a monopoly over essential services that spells TROUBLE.

PG&E sees an impending threat to its monopoly and is taking steps to eliminate the potential! unbelievable!

3. TopTop #3
    Ben Zolno

Thanks Barry,

Sharing in your concern, i think this is a good opportunity to briefly introduce the fact that I'm working on a series of short films based on some interviews we did in Berkeley, as a viral means of getting the word out about this issue.

I'll write a full introduction in a bit, but just wanted to get the seed planted, and I'll show you the bloom shortly!

4. TopTop #4
    RussianRiverRattina

I'm inclined to automatically vote NO for ALL propositions for the following reasons:

1. They're often backed by corporations & special interests.
    2. Even when they're created and promoted by people with good intentions, propositions tend to be severely flawed pieces of legislation fraught with unintended consequences.
    3. Propositions create unfunded mandates, and are a major part of why the California State Budget is in such a mess right now. I strongly believe that Proposition 13 alone has wrecked our budget, destroyed our public education system, and contributed to the insanity of our real estate market.
    4. Laws are better off being written by people who know how to write laws (i.e. our elected representatives and their staff -- many of whom have Law degrees). You wouldn't have someone with no related experience or training fix your car or do the electrical work on your house, so WHY do we let random people write our laws?
    :^)

-- Elisabeth

5. TopTop #5
    podfish

all true - but be careful. Occasionally a proposition will be carefully worded to exploit that voting tendency.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by RussianRiverRattina: View Post
    I'm inclined to automatically vote NO for ALL propositions for the following reasons:.....

-- Elisabeth

6. TopTop #6
    jbox

[quote=RussianRiverRattina;111641]I'm inclined to automatically vote NO for ALL propositions for the following reasons:
    1. They're often backed by corporations & special interests.
    2. Even when they're created and promoted by people with good intentions, propositions tend to be severely flawed pieces of legislation fraught with unintended consequences.
    3. Propositions create unfunded mandates, and are a major part of why the California State Budget is in such a mess right now. I strongly believe that Proposition 13 alone has wrecked our budget, destroyed our public education system, and contributed to the insanity of our real estate market.
    4. Laws are better off being written by people who know how to write laws (i.e. our elected representatives and their staff -- many of whom have Law degrees). You wouldn't have someone with no related experience or training fix your car or do the electrical work on your house, so WHY do we let random people write our laws?
    I must say I tend to agree with all your points, though I think all your points are also valid when you consider what our elected representatives do to enact legislation, and for whom. Being elected does not automatically qualify someone to conceive of and write good and effective legislation.

7. TopTop #7
    Walter's Mom

In attendance to the Sebastopol Forum Wednesday evening, 4-21-10 I learned a lot about Prop. 16 and the billions of dollars that PG&E is spending on commercials. It seems that other interests (public) do not have that kind of money to oppose it on TV. It is critical we get the word out that this is a bad thing for California across the board for a lot of reasons. Just talk to your friends and family members about this proposition. Read everything you can by people that know the facts and can get this information out to individuals on bulletin boards like this and through personal emails to your your own address book email pals.

8. TopTop #8
    Ben Zolno

Last check, they were spending $35 million. We're making a video campaign that's costing us $35.

When these come out, please support it by making sure it sees as many eyeballs I'll let you know when.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Walter's Mom: View Post
    In attendance to the Sebastopol Forum Wednesday evening, 4-21-10 I learned a lot about Prop. 16 and the billions of dollars that PG&E is spending on commercials. It seems that other interests (public) do not have that kind of money to oppose it on TV. It is critical we get the word out that this is a bad thing for California across the board for a lot of reasons. Just talk to your friends and family members about this proposition. Read everything you can by people that know the facts and can get this information out to individuals on bulletin boards like this and through personal emails to your your own address book email pals.

9. TopTop #9
    Jude Iam

sing it, send it out, say it to everyone:
    NO on 16 !!!

"Ya Gotta Beat 16" Song

This take-off on the Tennessee Ernie Ford favorite, 'Ya Load 16 Tons,' was produced by unpaid, all-volunteer individuals for Creative Commons open source use.

YouTube - 'Ya Gotta Beat 16' Song

Last edited by Barry; 04-25-2010 at 02:12 PM.