Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    gabrielle

Are you protected by your car insurance??

Dear Community,
    I realize that this will be a controversial post but I have seen too many clients unable to get the type of care they needed or desired after being involved in car accidents, because they thought they had Med-Pay and did not. ( I am talking about actual corrective , healing , non-pharmaceutical care).
    I have been a chiropractor for over 20 years and receiving timely and effective care can make all the difference between almost complete healing or having long standing spinal issues, related to an accident.
    The type of coverage that enables you to pick your provider and have them be compensated is called Med-Pay- very different than medical coverage.
    The minimal amount that I advise clients to carry is at least 10,000 coverage- which normally costs an extra $50.00 a year. The reason I say this is based on the fact that an average trip to the emergency room after an accident can be between 3, 000 and 8,000 dollars- leaving you almost nothing for corrective care. Don't take my word for it- look at the statistics around this subject.. Once you have an accident- it is too late to change your level of protection and of care you receive.
    It is a worthwhile call to your agent to make sure you have this protection.
    And no- I do not work for or with insurance agents- I only try to help people piece their lives back together who were unaware of what they had for coverage- not a desirable way to handle things.
    Sincerely,
    Gabrielle Ridgeway, D.C.
    [email protected]
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Imagery

Re: Are you protected by your car insurance??

Quote Posted in reply to the post by gabrielle: View Post
    The minimal amount that I advise clients to carry is at least 10,000 coverage- which normally costs an extra $50.00 a year. The reason I say this is based on the fact that an average trip to the emergency room after an accident can be between 3, 000 and 8,000 dollars- leaving you almost nothing for corrective care. Don't take my word for it- look at the statistics around this subject.. Once you have an accident- it is too late to change your level of protection and of care you receive.

Sincerely,
    Gabrielle Ridgeway, D.C.
    [email protected]
    Interesting. If I'm involved in a collision, and it's the other party's fault, then their insurance better cough up the money - or my insurance company will sue - or their insurance company will settle with me...

If I'm involved in a collision, and it's MY fault, then I believe my medical insurance would be covering my visits.

Is this an inaccurate assessment of how insurance works? This is just a post based on my experience of having been involved in a (other party's fault) collision. I've never been involved in a collision where it's my fault...

3. TopTop #3
    gabrielle

Big Wonder,
    It seems to depend on the insurance company.AAA never makes you pay back your medical payments out of your settlement when it is your fault or the other person's fault. Most of the other companies do. Geico does not usually either but many of the other companies do. So -you are right and it is insane when that happens. You can check with your company and ask what their policy is- that is why -if people ask- I always recommend AAA. when I had an accident where I was rear -ended- they were amazing.
    Gabrielle Ridgeway, D.C.
    [email protected]

4. TopTop #4
    The A Team
    Supporting Member

Thanks Gabrielle,
    We found out about Med Pay after an accident. We were rear ended by an uninsured, unlicenced driver who was driving fast, looking down at his cel phone, & "didn't see us" stopped at a red light. He gave fake address etc to us. So we had to pay out of pocket.
    We have med pay now, however and glad to know about it and spread the word.

Andrea

Quote Posted in reply to the post by gabrielle: View Post
    Big Wonder,
    It seems to depend on the insurance company.AAA never makes you pay back your medical payments out of your settlement when it is your fault or the other person's fault. Most of the other companies do. Geico does not usually either but many of the other companies do. So -you are right and it is insane when that happens. You can check with your company and ask what their policy is- that is why -if people ask- I always recommend AAA. when I had an accident where I was rear -ended- they were amazing.
    Gabrielle Ridgeway, D.C.
    [email protected]