Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Valley Oak

Should we send astronauts to Mars?

Visiting other planets is key to advancing not only our scientific knowledge but also our entire civilization.

Given the economic difficulties, should the US government make such a substantial investment necessary to send a man to Mars? It is obviously a greater challenge than the moon was.

Even if we were enjoying good economic times, why should we even bother spending billions on space travel when we could lower taxes and the leave the cosmos for science fiction writers? Some people feel this way.

Any ideas?

Edward
    Last edited by Valley Oak; 03-17-2010 at 10:20 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    zenekar

Re: Should we send a man to Mars?

We should send Congress to Mars -- or at least to a deserted island -- for spending tax payer's dollars on space dreams, military bases around the globe, invasions and occupations of other peoples, rather than on education and health care for all!

Attila

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Valley Oak: View Post
    Visiting other planets is key to advancing not only our scientific knowledge but also our entire civilization.

Given the economic difficulties, should the US government make such a substantial investment necessary to send a man to Mars? It is obviously a greater challenge than the moon was.

Even if we were enjoying good economic times, why should we even bother spending billions on space travel when we could lower taxes and the leave the cosmos for science fiction writers? Some people feel this way.

Any ideas?

Edward

3. TopTop #3
    Valley Oak

Re: Should we send a man to Mars?

I basically agree with you. The US is a warrior nation that neglects education and health care for its citizens. But I still believe that space exploration is also in everyone's best interests.

Edward

Quote Posted in reply to the post by zenekar: View Post
    We should send Congress to Mars -- or at least to a deserted island -- for spending tax payer's dollars on space dreams, military bases around the globe, invasions and occupations of other peoples, rather than on education and health care for all!

Attila

4. TopTop #4
    2Bwacco

Re: Should we send astronauts to Mars?

Let's stop throwing money into the black hole of war. Let's spend it on the future.

Movie tonight, 8 p.m., cable channel 49 (AMC) Red Planet, Val Kilmer, Tom Sizemore, Benjamin Bratt....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Planet_(film)

really puts you on the planet, in the moment.

Think of all the potential elements, minerals that could be there? Who knows? Our little Rover has been checking it out...

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Valley Oak;109338":
    Visiting other planets is key to advancing not only our scientific knowledge but also our entire civilization... Edward"

5. TopTop #5
    LenInSebastopol

I recall Uncle Walt, on TV, promising me that we would all be on Mars by, oh 1984. Disappointed, I am.
    If you want education, then we go into space. If you want peace, then go into space. If you want a high reason to live, then got to into space. There's nothing around here but more of the same ol', same ol'.

6. TopTop #6
    Ted Pole

Its the same old tired story: human "civilization" having the insatiable desire to infect everything it can in the name of exploration.

When we have something valuable to offer the cosmos, then go. Til then, go mow your own lawn.

7. TopTop #7
    LenInSebastopol

wow. Then we would have never left the warm cave we were spawned in! Never leave our house. Cocoon good, butterfly bad! And while you wait for perfection to come to the masses, or to yourself, the world dies. Oh, BTW, as much bad as "civilization" has done, there are those folks doing good too.

8. TopTop #8
    Ted Pole

Your fevered assumptions notwithstanding, there is still plenty of exploration that can be accomplished with robotics, and at significantly lower cost. If the argument is that we can find "... potential elements, minerals that could be there...", why not let private enterprise foot the bill and reap the rewards?

I mean, at least until your fellow earthlings aren't routinely starving to death and/or treating the planet like a magic toilet.

9. TopTop #9
    LenInSebastopol

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Ted Pole: View Post
    Your fevered assumptions notwithstanding, there is still plenty of exploration that can be accomplished with robotics, and at significantly lower cost.
    You make a valid point. Years ago I had met an R&D guy who swore we would get there sooner had gov't stepped out of the way, as he told me of a motor NASA had spent a gazzilion $ when some folks he knew found the motor of a VW windshield wiper could perform a similar function. Often wondered if I could believe him, but his credentials and straight faced story caused one to wonder about the veracity of the issue, if not the notion of how officials love spending other people's money.
    As for robotics exploring, while being crude, it would be like reaching sexual satisfaction with devices rather than other human beings.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Ted Pole: View Post
    If the argument is that we can find "... potential elements, minerals that could be there...", why not let private enterprise foot the bill and reap the rewards?
    I mean, at least until your fellow earthlings aren't routinely starving to death and/or treating the planet like a magic toilet.
    Initially I suppose private money would enter the fray and no doubt have more incentive than the military.
    Our cousins have been practicing the art of killing each other for more than a week and looks to be no end, so that's hardly an incentive. And the recycle thingy will really be a boon when we can use the now-a-day-junk to fuel us to that place in the sky!