"Mark Lilly of Farm to Family brings fresh produce to people all over central Virginia, and in the process aims to transform the American food landscape.

When the recent “snowpocalypse” blizzard swept through central Virginia, Mark Lilly was ready to grab the opportunity. While others were huddled inside with movies and mugs of cocoa, Lilly ventured out into the storm to provide the people of Richmond what he knew they’d want: fresh food straight from the farm.

“Many trucks that bring food to grocery stores have canceled deliveries,” he posted on his Facebook page for the benefit of his 1,500 fans. “The bus is on the road! … we still have food! and snow tires! ... I will be delivering today, get all your neighbors together and call me or text me directions.”
His phone started ringing right away, and he pointed his old school bus packed with a cornucopia of fruit, vegetables, meat, dairy and baked goods in the direction of the first caller.

The one-man Farm to Family company had just launched into one of the best days in its six-month history.

“It was one of the busiest days I’ve had,” Lilly says. “They would get the whole neighborhood involved. I’d go and everyone would come.”...

One Man, a School Bus and a Plan to Change How America Eats - Tonic