Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    ladybug5

warning to handymen advertising....

The county is cracking down on people that advertise to fix things in
    the home. My friend was caught and will pay about 5,000 all total
    in fines and legal fees.
    The county needs the money.. and are being creative about getting it...

Jody
    Is your dog having a good day? ~ www.gooddays.biz ~ [email protected]
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Thad

Re: warning to handymen advertising....

Blessed Be the Archers of Corners who can warn of things before before they happen

Quote Posted in reply to the post by ladybug5: View Post
    in fines and legal fees.

Jody

3. TopTop #3
    hales

Did you read this article about the increase in traffic citations? A 188% increase in annual Santa Rosa citations, since 2005. The police claim there is no quota system, in place.. but that's almost triple the number of citations!

Traffic-ticket gridlock | PressDemocrat.com

Also, check out the number on the second page of this article about Sebastopol traffic enforcement, citations, etc..

Whatever the motivation, it seems to me, that there is a significant amount increase in revenue involved with all those citations.

Scott.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Thad: View Post
    Blessed Be the Archers of Corners who can warn of things before before they happen

4. TopTop #4

Perhaps I am naive, but what is the problem with advertising as a handyman/woman? I'm about the search for someone to do some things around my house and this information makes me wonder what is up.

in fines and legal fees.

Jody

5. TopTop #5
    Alfonz

Perhaps your friend was caught contracting without a license. Contractor law only allows handypersons to do jobs that cost no more than $500. They are allowed to advertise but are required to state they are unlicensed.
    Considering he was fined $5k I suspect there are more complexities than you stated.
    Certainly the governments need revenues, yet the Contractors State License Board has been doing "sting" operations for at least 20 years. When a homeowner hires an unlicensed tradesperson they have no recourse if the job was done incompetently or was incomplete. Most homeowners don't consider if they can be held liable if an injury was to occur. Considering the high rates of workmans compensation insurance one can be certain that many accidents occur in remodeling and construction related jobs.
    For more information google the Contractors State License Board.

in fines and legal fees.

Jody
    Last edited by Barry; 02-02-2010 at 10:42 PM.

6. TopTop #6
    Braggi

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Alfonz: View Post
    Perhaps your friend was caught contracting without a license. Contractor law only allows handypersons to do jobs that cost no more than $500. They are allowed to advertise but are required to state they are unlicensed. ...
    As I understand it, it's legal for a handyman to advertise and work for customers, but is not allowed to "contract," that is, to bid for jobs over $500. As long as a handyman works by the hour and not by contract I don't think there are any limits.

I also think, having studied a little bit of law, that the Supreme Court of the United States ruled that US citizens have an "unfettered right to contract," so, frankly, I don't get why these states have put contracting laws in place anyway. If a handyman was ready to spend a couple hundred thousand taking it to the Supreme Court he just might win.

-Jeff

7. TopTop #7
    Alfonz

The CSLB doesn't exist as a "friend" to contractors. One of their primary functions is to protect the public from unscrupulous Contractors, licensed or not. A homeowner in dispute over a job situation has the recourse to contact the CSLB to mediate or arbitrate. If no agreement is reached and the contractor refuses to abide by the findings they will probably have their contractors license suspended or revoked.
    After a licensed contractor has been in business for a number of years, it becomes an important part of their livelihood and imparts a certain status of professionalism. Nobody wants to lose that.
    Typically, hiring a handyperson regardless of how highly skilled or ethical they might be becomes the "employee" of the homeowner, therefore that homeowner takes on the legal responsibilities of being an employer. The same laws apply to hiring day laborers.
    My advice to homeowners who cannot afford to pay the rates of licensed contractors:
    1. Call your insurance agent and see to what extend your homeowners coverage will protect you. Years ago when I last researched it I found that they will not cover you if you hired someone to do a task for which there is a licensing classification.
    2. As with hiring a contractor, check personal references when hiring a handyperson.
    3. If a handyperson is registered with a "Business license" for the cities in which they work, the homeowner may feel more secure that they are dealing with a more professionally focused business.
    4. Sometimes it is necessary to take some risks in life, just be aware of the outcome of ones choices.

This is a direct copy & paste from the Contractors State License Board:
    Basic Facts About Contracting in California

• Anyone performing construction work in California that totals $500 dollars or more in labor and materials must be licensed by CSLB.
    • The construction industry is one the largest industries in California. www.labormarketinfo.edd.ca.gov
    • Licensed contractors must demonstrate at least 4 years of experience/education in the trade for which they are licensed, be fingerprinted, have an FBI background check, and be bonded.
    • CSLB's Statewide Investigative Fraud Team (SWIFT) conducts stings and sweeps somewhere in California each week.
    • Unlicensed contractors are part of the $60-140 billion dollar underground economy that does not pay taxes, insurance, or follow safety laws. www.dir.ca.gov/EEEC/EEEC.html
    • First time offenders are often issued a Notice to Appear (NTA) for misdemeanor charges of contracting without a license or illegal advertising. The NTA carries a maximum of six months in jail and/or up to a $1,000 fine.
    • Additional convictions raise the fines to 20 percent of the contract price for the work performed, (or $4500), along with a 90-day jail sentence.
    Here's my "C.Y.A" statement. I am not an attorney and only pass on this information as to my personal understanding of Calif. contracting law.

Al Lustig dba Al Lustig Remodeling Co. B505613

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Braggi: View Post
    As I understand it, it's legal for a handyman to advertise and work for customers, but is not allowed to "contract," that is, to bid for jobs over $500. As long as a handyman works by the hour and not by contract I don't think there are any limits.

I also think, having studied a little bit of law, that the Supreme Court of the United States ruled that US citizens have an "unfettered right to contract," so, frankly, I don't get why these states have put contracting laws in place anyway. If a handyman was ready to spend a couple hundred thousand taking it to the Supreme Court he just might win.

-Jeff

8. TopTop #8
    packardcarr

The warning is for the benefit of tax cheaters. They are the get paid in cash, under the table crowd. They are the ones who cause my taxes to be higher to make up for the cheaters. It seems that IRS now scans online ads to find people who engage in this illegitimate behavior.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by oliviathunderkitty: View Post
    Perhaps I am naive, but what is the problem with advertising as a handyman/woman? I'm about the search for someone to do some things around my house and this information makes me wonder what is up.

9. TopTop #9

This makes no sense. Someone--me, for example--wants to hire someone to do a few things in a house I have rented for 20+ years and I am contributing to a tax cheat? The work I need done does not warrant a contractor. Using a contractor would be like using nuclear weapons to deal with mosquitos. If someone can fix a few deteriorated boards in a deck, help me with some tiles and bricks or help me install a new light, why is this illegitimate?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by packardcarr: View Post
    The warning is for the benefit of tax cheaters. They are the get paid in cash, under the table crowd. They are the ones who cause my taxes to be higher to make up for the cheaters. It seems that IRS now scans online ads to find people who engage in this illegitimate behavior.

10. TopTop #10
    Braggi

Quote Posted in reply to the post by oliviathunderkitty: View Post
    This makes no sense. Someone--me, for example--wants to hire someone to do a few things in a house I have rented for 20+ years and I am contributing to a tax cheat? ...
    Not if you hire me. I've been a non contractor handyman for 15 years and I've always declared my earnings. I work by myself so I'm not cheating on withholding for my "employees" either.

What I do is perfectly legal and it's perfectly legal for you to hire me or any of several other handypersons that post and sometimes advertise right here on Waccobb.net.

Thanks for asking,

-Jeff

11. TopTop #11
    tommy

The Contractor's State License Board is basically a "union" or "full employment policy" for contractors, supported by the State of CA. This enables a contractor to charge $50 to $100 per hour, for the same work a "handyman" would charge half that. This enables the contractor to buy a big new truck, at times drive around and "supervise" the Mexican workers he employs at $10 per hour, and charge them to the job at $20 or $30 per hour. The contractor obviously has to pay Workers Comp, although I don't think he has to pay it for day laborers. Any Handyman who is skilled and smart, will get a Contractor's License. In general, Contractors are well off financially, while Handymen are much less well off, drive around in 15 yr old pickups. There are many facets to this issue, my apologies to any of my contractor friends who may be reading this. In general, however, you can get things done at a much lower cost, using a Handyman.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Alfonz: View Post
    Perhaps your friend was caught contracting without a license. Contractor law only allows handypersons to do jobs that cost no more than $500. They are allowed to advertise but are required to state they are unlicensed.
    Considering he was fined $5k I suspect there are more complexities than you stated.
    Certainly the governments need revenues, yet the Contractors State License Board has been doing "sting" operations for at least 20 years. When a homeowner hires an unlicensed tradesperson they have no recourse if the job was done incompetently or was incomplete. Most homeowners don't consider if they can be held liable if an injury was to occur. Considering the high rates of workmans compensation insurance one can be certain that many accidents occur in remodeling and construction related jobs.
    For more information google the Contractors State License Board.

12. TopTop #12
    Braggi

Quote Posted in reply to the post by tommy: View Post
    The Contractor's State License Board is basically a "union" or "full employment policy" for contractors, supported by the State of CA. This enables a contractor to charge $50 to $100 per hour, for the same work a "handyman" would charge half that. ...
    Wow. Um, there are a whole lot of bankrupt or nearly bankrupt contractors who wouldn't agree with this. The CSLB is a pain in the rear for most contractors. The reason contractors charge so much is they have to pay insurance which few non licensed handymen carry. There is a risk hiring a handyman and having a reputable one makes a huge difference. It costs more to hire someone who's totally on the up and up. Licensed contractors generally earn their money and a whole lot of their bill goes straight to insurance companies.

I support the handyman market because I are one, but it's also important that the customer knows what they're getting. Hiring a handyman for electrical system expansion or major building is a huge mistake. Hiring a contractor to replace some rotten deck boards is probably also a mistake. YMMV.

-Jeff
    Last edited by Braggi; 02-04-2010 at 10:22 AM.

13. TopTop #13
    Braggi

... Hiring a contractor to replace some rotten deck boards is probably also a mistake. YMMV.
    Big oops on the post above. Now edited.

BTW, make sure you know the total condition of your deck before hiring a handyman to work on it. A cosmetic fix isn't any good if the supports underneath are crumbling.

-Jeff

14. TopTop #14
    Yip

This is a strange statement. It looks more like it was designed to please people, rather than to inform people.
    My neighbor hired a licensed contractor because of similar sentiments. In the end he had his handyman fix all the dangerous mistakes made by the 'professional'.
    Many handymen are retired tradesmen.
    References are what makes the difference, preferably personal references.

Hiring a handyman for electrical system expansion or major building is a huge mistake. Hiring a contractor to replace some rotten deck boards is probably also a mistake. YMMV.

-Jeff

15. TopTop #15
    Braggi

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Yip: View Post
    This is a strange statement. It looks more like it was designed to please people, rather than to inform people.
    My neighbor hired a licensed contractor because of similar sentiments. In the end he had his handyman fix all the dangerous mistakes made by the 'professional'.
    Many handymen are retired tradesmen.
    References are what makes the difference, preferably personal references.
    You make a very good point Yip. I've also had to repair a few jobs done by licensed "professionals" that didn't deserve their credentials. I've also finished a few jobs begun by flakey contractors who took the down payment and split. The main difference is that with licensed contractors there are more options for consumer redress of grievances.

The main benefit of handypersons in this regard is that few demand "progress payments" as most contractors do.

References rock as well as an ability to describe the job they intend to do in detail. Beware of anyone wanting money "up front" to begin a job and reserve the right to buy and provide your own materials.

-Jeff