Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Comments about the State of the Union Address?

I watched the speech and, on the whole, I was very impressed! There is an adult in the room! While I don't support everything he said (Offshore Oil? "Clean Coal"? Nuclear?) overall I think he was pretty right on, especially considering the (new) realities of congress and the nation. Remember, there is a lot more of the country to the east of us!

I think he did a great job of inviting/demanding the Republicans to help run the country for a change (since there is no other choice).

I'll chime in with more comments soon.

One note about How I watched it, which was on CNN.com which has a connection to Facebook. Being that I don't get any TV reception, it was my only choice (the web, that is). Either my download speed or processor could keep up with zooming it to full screen (24" in my case ) so it was pretty small.

They've got this groovy little real-time graph of how Democrats, Republicans and Independents in their focus group are responding to what is being said at the moment. Pretty interesting, especially the Republican line.

Anywho, the Facebook part shows live comments (effectively tweets) from everybody watching. In the the past I noticed you could filter the comments to just your "friends", which was pretty interesting! However I didn't see a way to filter it this time. Did I miss something? I found the un-filtered feed quite useless and representative of the sorry state of public discourse on the web.

What did you think of the speech? And if you watched it on the web, how was that?
    Last edited by Barry; 01-28-2010 at 06:38 PM.

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Meni61

Re: Comments about the State of the Union Address?

Hi Barry, Nicely put. I still feel hopeful when I listen to Obama speak. He just has so much integrity! I am connected with a group that holds gatherings for things like this, and since I don't get any of the main TV stations, I went and watched it on a big screen at Round Table Pizza with some other folks in the community here in Santa Rosa. So glad I got to see it!
    Thanks for your post :) Melanie

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    I watched the speech and, on the whole, I was very impressed! There is an adult in the room! While I don't support everything he said (Offshore Oil? "Clean Coal"? Nuclear?) overall I think he was pretty right on, especially considering the (new) realities of congress and the nation. Remember, there is a lot more of the country to the east of us!

I think he did a great job of inviting/demanding the Republicans to help run the country for a change (since there is no other choice).

One note about How I watched it, which was on CNN.com which has a connection to Facebook. Being that I don't get any TV reception, it was my only choice (the web, that is). Either my download speed or processor could keep up with zooming it to full screen (24" in my case ) so it was pretty small.

They've got this groovy little real-time graph of how Democrats, Republicans and Independents in their focus group are responding to what is being said at the moment. Pretty interesting, especially the Republican line.

Anywho, the Facebook part shows live comments (effectively tweets) from everybody watching. In the the past I noticed you could filter the comments to just your "friends", which was pretty interesting! However I didn't see a way to filter it this time. Did I miss something? I found the un-filtered feed quite useless and representative of the sorry state of public discourse on the web.

What did you think of the speech? And if you watched it on the web, how was that?
    Last edited by Barry; 01-28-2010 at 10:21 PM.

3. TopTop #3
    phloem

I see no need to have watched the Obama show; he's already demonstrated he's a pawn of the corporate-banking-military complex, and not worthy of any trust. I have to ask all who still think this charlatan has any chance of redeeming his traitorous ways: "Upon what do you base your 'hope'?" You people must lead incredibly insulated lives to not see the tremendous damage Obama has done to the nation and to the world. Every single criticism of Bush applies to Obama, with the lone exception being oratory skill. All the better to pull the wool over the sheeps' eyes.

While the glib liar and deceiver was further obfuscating the needs of America and the world with more political hype and hypocrisy, a true American hero, Howard Zinn, passed away. For all who seem to think so highly of this treasonous president, I suggest you read "A People's History of the United States." Perhaps then you'll have a clue about why deceitful politicians like Obama should forever be obliterated from American government. You are shameful fools for having any confidence whatsoever in this murdering, lying war criminal.

4. TopTop #4
    phloem

Barry, I have to add, your "There is an adult in the room!" comment is about the most vacuous, unsubstatiated bit of tripe I've seen anywhere for quite some time. Tell us, just what are you trying to communicate?

5. TopTop #5
    Neshamah

About 95% of the time I think Obama is genuinely trying to do what is best for the whole country. Where he's misguided, he is at least honestly misguided. (I thought the same of Bush 50% of the time, and never voted for either.)

When wealth is concentrated in a single institution (in this case the government,) only the wealthiest can really influence it, and our country is so big that we have to have artificial people called corporations to do most of the influencing. I see Barack Obama as the limit of what a good person can do with the power of the executive branch under the present system. Until we can admit that one person, or a hundred people, or 435 people cannot do everything for us, and start emphasizing local solutions, then evil will continue to be perpetrated in our names even by smart and well-meaning Presidents.

~ Jessica