Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Valley Oak

Amazing speech by an American war veteran

Although I don't see Obama as a billionaire, this video is spot on in a way that few generalized declarations are regarding civilization today, especially the United States.

YouTube - AMAZING SPEECH BY WAR VETERAN

Edward
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2

Re: Amazing speech by an American war veteran

That really IS an amazing speech. Such clarity and ring of truth it almost brings tears to my eyes.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Valley Oak: View Post

3. TopTop #3
    Thad

And there is a Hero. His name is Mike Prysner. I wonder how he is doing after saying that?

What does this say of who the Enemy is?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Clancy: View Post
    That really IS an amazing speech. Such clarity and ring of truth it almost brings tears to my eyes.

4. TopTop #4
    phloem

Yes, the words of Mike Prysner are emotive and could be inspiring, and he's not alone among those who have the personal experience to back up their words. Thousands of veterans have expressed similar reactions to American imperialism and brutality based on their personal involvement, yet the government, the military, the mainstream media, and most Americans ignore their heartfelt pleas for sense and justice. I certainly wonder why more American citizens do not hear these words, and respond in kind, instead of falling prey to slick politicians whose track records suggest they are merely puppets of the corporate machine.

I'll go on record here to say that voting for either a Republican or Democrat in next fall's elections will be a stroke of ignorant malice by all those who do so: Mike Thompson and Lynn Woolsey need to be rejected, and only third-party candidates from, for instance, the Green or Peace and Freedom parties, will truly represent what is in the best interests of our communities.
    That's just a start in creating a real democracy, as the Supreme Court (of American fascism) just ruled in favor of unlimited corporate donations to political campaigns (go to Tell the World | Move to Amend for more information), further promoting the nonsense that corporations are people.

In summary, if you aren't beyond disgust and outrage, then you're not only part of the problem, you're the cause.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Thad: View Post
    And there is a Hero. His name is Mike Prysner. I wonder how he is doing after saying that?

What does this say of who the Enemy is?

5. TopTop #5

Thank you for sharing this video Edward. I'd like to share one with you all too. Although it is a wee bit longer..... In fact its a two hour movie.... eek.. But its one of the best Ive ever seen, so if you ever find some time please check it out.

YouTube - ZEITGEIST II ADDENDUM (FULL MOVIE!) - PLEASE SHARE

6. TopTop #6
    Thad

Any hope for the democratic process relies on an informed populace.

With marketing strategies being so fluid, its like like trying to find your way in a labyrinth, and it takes optimism to even make the effort to attempt it.

I believe the climate of the voting public is that to vote is more to combat their own cynicism than any belief their vote will make a difference.

I think the only strength to oppose is with small groups who opt out and become their own government looking only to themselves to provide for their own with an open door for people thinking similar thoughts

and as that becomes the style when a people's vote are placed closer to home where it's effect can be seen then perhaps people will believe again their vote means anything.

As it is any candidate will say anything to address the largest voting body to get their vote...

Corruption is too entrenched to deal with from the inside and voting local will resurrect the belief that your vote is anything special...yes/no?

So what does that mean to vote local

first it means to have something to vote for that is exciting

Something that makes sense to its core and benefits everyone.

So perhaps it needs a microscope to find such a thing, until then

It means to have accountants that track the use of local dollars and how those dollars are put into play or stopped by which particular named person.

To have knowledge of charter positions and to have immediate public scrutiny via developing social networks as to how publicly funded positions hold to their legal duties.

Imagine every single homeless person in this area being given shelter and a scholarship contract packet in which their duties in earning these provisions is to become a visible indicator as they are sent en mass to target public servants found to be violating their positions of public trust.

Which means locally, less squandering of resources, and ideas being implemented by their merit and not the influence of special interests

that would be good for a start

Quote Posted in reply to the post by phloem: View Post
    Yes, the words of Mike Prysner are emotive and could be inspiring, and he's not alone among those who have the personal experience to back up their words. Thousands of veterans have expressed similar reactions to American imperialism and brutality based on their personal involvement, yet the government, the military, the mainstream media, and most Americans ignore their heartfelt pleas for sense and justice. I certainly wonder why more American citizens do not hear these words, and respond in kind, instead of falling prey to slick politicians whose track records suggest they are merely puppets of the corporate machine.

I'll go on record here to say that voting for either a Republican or Democrat in next fall's elections will be a stroke of ignorant malice by all those who do so: Mike Thompson and Lynn Woolsey need to be rejected, and only third-party candidates from, for instance, the Green or Peace and Freedom parties, will truly represent what is in the best interests of our communities.
    That's just a start in creating a real democracy, as the Supreme Court (of American fascism) just ruled in favor of unlimited corporate donations to political campaigns (go to Tell the World | Move to Amend for more information), further promoting the nonsense that corporations are people.

In summary, if you aren't beyond disgust and outrage, then you're not only part of the problem, you're the cause.

7. TopTop #7
    "Mad" Miles

Quote Posted in reply to the post by phloem: View Post

Phloem,

What have you got against Representative Woolsey? She's consistently voted against war and war funding. Her record on the environment and social justice issues is impeccable.

She, like Noreen Evans in the assembly, is an example of the exception to the rule. A Democrat who consistently stands with the people who the Democratic Party has falsely claimed to support for the last several decades.

In fact they're two of the best politicians I've ever had the pleasure to vote for, in a sense the only two, who have a chance of actually winning office. I agree with Zeno that the structural limits of U.S. electoral law, make third party success unlikely. And to reform those laws would require the cooperation and acquiescence of the Demoplicans. Highly unlikely.

I write this as a partisan Green Party of the United States of America member. Much of what you and our fellow critics of this system say makes sense. But I'm not on the same page as you with regards to trying to unelect Lynne Woolsey.

And I am also aware of the recent push to criticize an endorsement that she's supposed to have made in support of someone who is prowar. Given her consistent track record, without hearing her side of that endorsement issue, I'm willing to continue my support.

Peace Out,

"Mad" Miles

8. TopTop #8
    phloem

Yes, Miles, for the most part I also have little issue with your perspective about Woolsey: she's been quite consistent about voting with the interests of people, as opposed to corporate and military interests. I am foremost decidedly against just about any politician who's chosen to identify with either of the corporate political parties - I've been among those who's personally written to Kucinich and Feingold to consider running as third-party candidates, and I think Woolsey should do the same. Moreover, Woolsey recently appeared at a fundraiser in support of Jane Harman, who never saw a war or an Israeli terror attack or a warrantless wiretap she couldn't justify, and what's more egregious about this exceedingly poor judgment by Woolsey is that Harman's primary opponent, Marcy Winograd, is a staunch progressive with a proven track record for justice and peace. Can you explain why a Woolsey would do this? I've also communicated with Woolsey on numerous environmental issues over the past decade, and many of her responses have been tepidly supportive to adversarial. I cannot support anyone who doesn't have a full grasp on what is needed to represent the needs of the people, and despite her claims, more industrial jobs and environmentally damaging concessions to business are not in agreement with my values and my long-term vision for sustainable society. We need politicians who think outside the box of capitalism and business as usual, not those who play the game for the sake of their presumptuous positions in Congress. I simply won't vote for any member of the two-headed corporate-military duopoly.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Mad Miles: View Post
    Phloem,

What have you got against Representative Woolsey? She's consistently voted against war and war funding. Her record on the environment and social justice issues is impeccable.

She, like Noreen Evans in the assembly, is an example of the exception to the rule. A Democrat who consistently stands with the people who the Democratic Party has falsely claimed to support for the last several decades.

In fact they're two of the best politicians I've ever had the pleasure to vote for, in a sense the only two, who have a chance of actually winning office. I agree with Zeno that the structural limits of U.S. electoral law, make third party success unlikely. And to reform those laws would require the cooperation and acquiescence of the Demoplicans. Highly unlikely.

I write this as a partisan Green Party of the United States of America member. Much of what you and our fellow critics of this system say makes sense. But I'm not on the same page as you with regards to trying to unelect Lynne Woolsey.

And I am also aware of the recent push to criticize an endorsement that she's supposed to have made in support of someone who is prowar. Given her consistent track record, without hearing her side of that endorsement issue, I'm willing to continue my support.

Peace Out,

"Mad" Miles

9. TopTop #9
    "Mad" Miles

Phloem, Edward, Ev'body,

In light of this discussion I thought I'd share the following (see below) which I read earlier today. It's a good summary of the problem of the Democratic Party. I wrote something similar years ago and it's somewhere in the archive but I just spent a fruitless half hour looking for it. I did revisit an erudite and entertaining thread on the issue of gods existence, or not.

"Mad" Miles

From DissidentVoice

Just Walk Away From the Democrats

by Ron Jacobs / January 23rd, 2010
    The left needs to organize the unorganized. The working people, the unemployed, the young, and the restless. The right wing has their core group of supporters who organize around fear of the other. The liberals have those who believe in the myth of American equality because they have no class analysis. The Left needs to organize the rest and they need to do so without the Democratic Party.

(snip, click on article title to link to the rest)

10. TopTop #10
    phloem

Thank you, Miles. I just read the Ron Jacobs article myself, and he fairly well sums up my complete disdain for the Democratic Party -- you only have to look at the track record of the likes of Truman, Johnson, and Clinton -- and Feinstein -- to realize this is a corporate boot-licking, warmongering gang of sycophants and thieves. Unfortunately, as I hoped I explained yesterday, Lynn Woolsey has the Democratic mantle about her neck - she really should run as an independent or third-party candidate (which might steer her even more progressively), but perhaps she's as beholden to the DNAC as the likes of Rahm Emanuel and Joe Biden. At least she's not in the same league of corrupt political swine as Mike Thompson -- that guy deserves to be impeached and convicted for his lies and betrayals and self-serving duplicity.

Alas, I still know far too many lifelong Democrats whose heads are still stuck in the New Deal or somewhere else in ancient history (although as Jacobs points out, the Democrats have never earned their reputation as the "party of the people." I still hear Democrats blaming Nader for Bush II (even though more Repubs abandoned party fidelity in Florida in 2000 than did Democrats), and still hear apologists for the current figurehead of the military-industrial complex claim that he's so much better than Bush. How many Afghani and Pakistani children, and now Haitians, need to die before the deluded realize they've gulped kool-aid by the gallon. Again, vote Dem or Repub, and you're part of the alliance of corporate-banking-military-media elite that is destroying the last vestiges of democracy: you are voting for our true enemies.

11. TopTop #11

Thank you for sharing this:

YouTube - AMAZING SPEECH BY WAR VETERAN

Fellow Citizens,

What will you do to change using our military, CIA, Contractors, etc. for offense, while our security at home, health care, infrastructure, economy, education system, climate, etc. are in peril?

Cities, counties, and states across the US are nearing bankruptcy. How long will you wait to demand a very different foreign policy - one which does not include striking first, one which requires following the Constitution before going to war, one which does not fuel the hatred against us.

Who would Jesus bomb?

Violence begets violence.

Using terrorism to end terrorism is insane and immoral.

How will you use your power to stop this madness, and use our might to heal, not hurt, our country's citizens and our world neighbors?

At least 30% of current "war" vets need mental health help; that figure would not be so high if their service were only on the line of defense. The brave serviceman in this video clearly brings to light the truth of the illegitimacy of our offensive military action.

In the Press Democrat headline story today, it said that Obama reads 10 emails sent to his website each day. Will you commit to send him one each day, and cc your reps in the House, Senate, state and local electeds; each day until the real change is made?

In my opinion; if you are not doing something to change our use of offensive force, you are enabling it. You enable it by not holding accountable those who pass the DEFENSE budget, and approve of engaging in WWIII without a declaration for war.

Any politician can put out "look good" resolutions & platforms to keep their base happy. It was only by our insistence, on a massive level that we were able to slow the Wall St. bail out down. It will take all that and more to stop what Congress enabled with the passing of PL 107-243, the use of force without declaration of war in Iraq.(Please see the Phil Donahue DVD, "Body of War" for more on that. Body of War)

Your city/county/state can make a big difference if you compel them to pass a resolution demanding appropriate appropriations in funding defense, not offense based military missions. Not in their job description? Budget cuts to core services our cities and counties and states are making are only addressing the symptom - and it's getting worse each week.

Every elected official takes the oath to uphold and defend the Constitution, not just find money to pave potholes. Please hold them to it, this is the only way to save our country. Individuals have less power than public bodies like cities/counties/states. They use your taxes to lobby all the time, but not always for the right reasons, and most are silent on this trespass against the Constitution.

I will take guts and persistence to get them to take on the primary reason for the cuts - our endless unconstitutional war funding; but think of the consequences if we don't take action.

If the US owns up to the truth of our violations to our own Constitution, and that of our international war crimes, and takes a corrective course of action; only then will our enemies be compelled to cease fire.

Wouldn't that be true if we were the ones being occupied by force now?

Soon, I will share my plan with you. I'd like to hear yours.

In peace,

Colleen

Campaign for Peace

+=