Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    love2travel

fender bender settlement

I was the victim of a a fender bender a couple of months ago. the other driver admitted fault and his insurance company very quickly arranged for my car to be fixed, and paid for rental car etc. my neck and shoulders were stiff for a few weeks. Xrays were taken and I went to see the doctor. medical bills have been faxed. anyhow, we are supposed to "settle" tomorrow with the other driver's insurance company. I feel fine, but i have heard that I may be predisposed to upper body aches and pains later on. 
what is a customary amount to accept from the insurance company? I have heard that the insurance company starts off with a low dollar amount.
 Does anyone have a sense of the guidelines? Is is customary to negotiate? How much should we settle for? What's the process?
 Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    CadFactor

Re: fender bender settlement

Len Tillem on KGO says that you never know what physical issues may come up in the future. He recommends not signing any settlement papers until a few months go by. Once you sign, you won't be able to go back and get additional $'s if your back starts to hurt.

3. TopTop #3
    Mrs. Wacco
    Behind every great man...

Advice I received from a personal injury attorney for a soft tissue injury/rear ended accident- do not settle until you are 100% fine.(I needed PT for 6 months) add all costs up, including any time lost from work, and multiply 3 - 5 times.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by love2travel: View Post
    I was the victim of a a fender bender a couple of months ago. the other driver admitted fault and his insurance company very quickly arranged for my car to be fixed, and paid for rental car etc. my neck and shoulders were stiff for a few weeks. Xrays were taken and I went to see the doctor. medical bills have been faxed. anyhow, we are supposed to "settle" tomorrow with the other driver's insurance company. I feel fine, but i have heard that I may be predisposed to upper body aches and pains later on. 
what is a customary amount to accept from the insurance company? I have heard that the insurance company starts off with a low dollar amount.
 Does anyone have a sense of the guidelines? Is is customary to negotiate? How much should we settle for? What's the process?

4. TopTop #4
    bodegahead

It is common practice to negotiate and negotiation is pretty mich expected. It is true the insurance company starts out with a low amount and any negotiation will most almost certainly raise it. Also I agree with cadfactor and Len Tillum unless you need cash fast, the longer you wait the better. Normally your doctor exam bills will be paid by the insurance co.and the imsurance co. will certainly rise their offer to keep you from incuring more medical bills. I have been thru this a few times. Feel free to contact me and good luck. Hope you`re ok.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by love2travel: View Post