Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    nina rosen

Reasons for going Vegan

Thanks to everyone for such informative and inspirational messages regarding a new vegan pathway. For me, being a vegan is an attempt, as an American, to try to put energy and money toward a healthier lifestyle- not killing animals, not growing them for death, but also eating what nourishes body and spirit. To that end, eating greens, eating legumes. Imagine if the whole US were to stop eating meat. I recently read that an egg is the perfect food...but isn't it also a chicken's potential? This could all be looked at as an investigation, an exploration, a life adventure.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2

Re: Reasons for going Vegan

Just a word about eggs: An egg is a potential chicken only if it is fertilized. Hens produce eggs every 24 to 28 hours whether or not there is a rooster around to take care of the fertilizing part. They can't not produce eggs; it is their nature. Commercial eggs from factory chickens are sad things but eggs from small happy flocks are, indeed, a perfect food.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by nina rosen: View Post
    Thanks to everyone for such informative and inspirational messages regarding a new vegan pathway. For me, being a vegan is an attempt, as an American, to try to put energy and money toward a healthier lifestyle- not killing animals, not growing them for death, but also eating what nourishes body and spirit. To that end, eating greens, eating legumes. Imagine if the whole US were to stop eating meat. I recently read that an egg is the perfect food...but isn't it also a chicken's potential? This could all be looked at as an investigation, an exploration, a life adventure.
    Last edited by oliviathunderkitty; 12-10-2009 at 11:43 AM.

3. TopTop #3
    Jupiter13

Dare I say I am in the midst of reading an amazing, eye opening book that intelligently challenges the notion that vegetarianism is healthier and doesn't kill animals?
    The author was a vegan for 20 years. I was vegan/vegetarian for many years myself.

I would highly suggest anybody interested in our food security and creating sustainable communities read it.

Many of us choose vegetarianism without thinking through the inevitable destruction of ecosystems, resulting in the killing of many, many animals. Her argument that vegetarianism is not sustainable is compelling.

The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice and Sustainability by Lierre Keith

Lierre Keith

Peace,

Sasha

Quote Posted in reply to the post by nina rosen: View Post

4. TopTop #4
    C Tut

Quote I recently read that an egg is the perfect food...but isn't it also a chicken's potential?
    Is not the legume a bean plant's potential?

5. TopTop #5
    n4rky

Vegetarianism vs. Veganism

The argument I see for why vegetarianism isn't enough is that only female animals produce eggs or dairy. Male calves are penned up to be veal. Male chicks are literally ground up.

So by continuing to buy eggs or dairy products, you continue to patronize killing.