Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Thread: Goose recipes?
  • Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Valley Oak

Goose recipes?

Does anyone have a favorite recipe for cooking goose?

Thanks,

Edward
    Last edited by Valley Oak; 11-25-2009 at 01:34 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    "Mad" Miles

Re: Goose recipes?

Edward!

Great question.

I'm roasting a goose tomorrow and have been reading recipes off and on for the last few weeks. This is my first time cooking a goose. So I can't say I have a favorite one. I've always wanted to serve one, and announce, "Our goose is cooked!"

I'm going with a wild and basmati rice, miripoi, dried cranberries and walnut stuffing. It seems the key is to get as much fat out as possible and avoid rubbery skin. I plan to do a high heat early roast, a long middle roast at 375 and then a high heat blast at the end to crisp the skin. All the recipes call for piercing the skin many times (but not the underlying muscle) to allow for fat drainage.

There are tons of recipes on the internet.

May your goose be cooked well. They're too expensive to waste!

Miles (the "Mad")

3. TopTop #3
    Valley Oak

What exactly is the recipe?! Where can I find it?

Thank you!

Edward

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Mad Miles: View Post
    Edward!

Great question.

I'm roasting a goose tomorrow and have been reading recipes off and on for the last few weeks. This is my first time cooking a goose. So I can't say I have a favorite one. I've always wanted to serve one, and announce, "Our goose is cooked!"

I'm going with a wild and basmati rice, miripoi, dried cranberries and walnut stuffing. It seems the key is to get as much fat out as possible and avoid rubbery skin. I plan to do a high heat early roast, a long middle roast at 375 and then a high heat blast at the end to crisp the skin. All the recipes call for piercing the skin many times (but not the underlying muscle) to allow for fat drainage.

Miles (the "Mad")

4. TopTop #4
    Valley Oak

We had a great thanksgiving dinner. I used a simple recipe with 4 heaping tablespoons of home harvested honey from our bees, an entire bottle (750ml) of dry sherry, 4 tablespoons of soy sauce, and finely minced lemons.

It took 2 hours in the oven, baking, completely wrapped in aluminum foil, with a 10-15 minute roasting to make the skin crispy brown and yummy!

We served it with brown rice, salad, and red wine. And then homemade apple pie for dessert.

Edward

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Mad Miles: View Post
    Edward!

Great question.

Miles (the "Mad")