Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    SandBar

environmental and warm burning wood

I use a very efficient wood burning stove to warm my cottage and have in the last few years purchased cords of fallen oak. I've been wondering whether the pressed sawdust logs are better, cheaper, good heating wood? I tested out the logs from 2 guys with a truck but still couldn't decide the best way to go for this winter considering and staying warm. Your input is greatly appreciated. I don't have a truck so have it delivered or in the back of my crv. Thanks. Sandy
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Re: environmental and warm burning wood

Hi Sandy,

I've been using pressed wood logs for years. I appreciate that it's a 100% natural waste product (it just sawdust with no binders!).

I like how they are very easy and tidy to stack (no bugs and debris) and they burn hot, long and create less ash.

On the downside, they are a little tricky to get started, and they don't offer the same romantic ambiance for an open fire.

There are several kinds/sizes available. In addition to 2 Guys, Evans Wood Products (9360 Hwy 116, Forestville, (707) 887-1997‎) has a good selection.

I'd say the best answer, as it is with many things, is... Both!

Use the press logs for your everyday heating, and have some "real" wood on hand for when you want something special.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by SandBar: View Post
    I use a very efficient wood burning stove to warm my cottage and have in the last few years purchased cords of fallen oak. I've been wondering whether the pressed sawdust logs are better, cheaper, good heating wood? I tested out the logs from 2 guys with a truck but still couldn't decide the best way to go for this winter considering and staying warm. Your input is greatly appreciated. I don't have a truck so have it delivered or in the back of my crv. Thanks. Sandy

3. TopTop #3
    daynurse

On cold winter evenings in Petaluma last year we were kept awake by the sounds of a helicopter circling for 3 hours over our homes as late as midnight. At first I thought it was a fugitive being hunted, but recently was told it's the city looking for illegal fireplaces burning. Apparently the cities of Petaluma and Cotati, as well as those areas under the jurisdiction of the North Sonoma Air Quality Management District -- Windsor, Cloverdale, Healdsburg and the west county -- have adopted some form of ban on wood-burning fireplaces and stoves. (Melissa Kaplan 2001)
    I'm posting the law about banning fires below.
    Here's to keeping your tootsie's warm.
    Peggy
    Winter

Spare the Air

The Winter Spare the Air program notifies residents when particulate matter levels are anticipated to be unhealthy. On these high pollution days, the Air District will issue a Winter Spare the Air Alert which prohibits wood burning throughout the Bay Area.

Spare the Air in the Winter

The Winter Spare the Air program notifies Bay Area residents when particulate levels are anticipated to be unhealthy.
    In the wintertime, particulate matter — especially particulate matter 2.5 microns or smaller in size (PM2.5) — can become a serious problem in the region. To protect public health, the Air District will issue a Winter Spare the Air Alert when PM2.5 concentrations are expected to be unhealthy.
    From November 1, 2009, through February 28, 2010, under the Air District's wood-burning regulation, when a Winter Spare the Air Alert is in effect, burning wood, firelogs, pellets, or any other solid fuels in your fireplace, woodstove, or other wood-burning device is illegal.
    When wood burning is allowed, residents who do burn in a fireplace or outdoor fire pit must still burn cleanly using dry, seasoned firewood, and not burn garbage, leaves or other material that would cause excessive smoke. Residents who exceed the excess visible smoke provision in the wood-burning rule could still be subject to an Air District citation or penalty.
    Follow these links for more information on the Air District's wood-burning regulation, and instructions on how to comply.
    Winter Spare the Air Alert Notifications

Residents and businesses can call 1-877-4NO-BURN (1-877-466-2876) to check the Winter Spare the Air Alert status and to report wood smoke concerns in their area.
    Residents can sign up to receive automatic Phone Alerts by calling 1-800-430-1515. If you signed up last year, you will remain on the roster to receive calls when this year's Winter Spare the Air season starts up again in November 2009
    Residents can also sign up for EnviroFlash AirAlerts to receive e-mail notification when Winter Spare the Air Alerts are issued. If you signed up last year, you should remain on the roster to receive e-mail notifications when this year's Winter Spare the Air season starts up again in November 2009.
    Wood Smoke

The nine counties that surround San Francisco Bay are home to almost seven million residents and an estimated 1.4 million fireplaces and woodstoves. Wood smoke air pollution from these wood-burning appliances has been a health concern in the Bay Area for many years, especially on winter evenings. Wood burning produces about one-third of the particulate pollution on a typical winter night.

Spare the Air Status

Wood Burning Status
    Saturday, 11/14
    No Winter Spare the Air Alert in Effect
    (Midnight to Midnight)

Wood Burning Status
    Sunday, 11/15
    (Midnight to Midnight)

Related Links

Compliance
    Regulation
    Wood Smoke
    Five Day Forecast
    Particulate Matter
    PM Health Effects
    Fact Sheets
    PM Animations

4. TopTop #4
    Shandi

I so appreciate this information, and have put myself on the list to get a call the day before "No Burn Days".

I'm having a difficult time finding the exact penalities for burning in Rohnert Park on these days. My self absorbed partner doesn't seem to care, but if I could show him what it would cost him, he might change his mind.

Can anyone help with this info? I've called the number listed, but it's just a voice mail which tells if today or tomorrow is a "no burn day".

Quote Posted in reply to the post by daynurse: View Post
    On cold winter evenings in Petaluma last year we were kept awake by the sounds of a helicopter circling for 3 hours over our homes as late as midnight. At first I thought it was a fugitive being hunted, but recently was told it's the city looking for illegal fireplaces burning. Apparently the cities of Petaluma and Cotati, as well as those areas under the jurisdiction of the North Sonoma Air Quality Management District -- Windsor, Cloverdale, Healdsburg and the west county -- have adopted some form of ban on wood-burning fireplaces and stoves. (Melissa Kaplan 2001)
    I'm posting the law about banning fires below.
    Here's to keeping your tootsie's warm.
    Peggy
    Winter

Spare the Air

The Winter Spare the Air program notifies residents when particulate matter levels are anticipated to be unhealthy. On these high pollution days, the Air District will issue a Winter Spare the Air Alert which prohibits wood burning throughout the Bay Area.

Spare the Air in the Winter

The Winter Spare the Air program notifies Bay Area residents when particulate levels are anticipated to be unhealthy.
    In the wintertime, particulate matter — especially particulate matter 2.5 microns or smaller in size (PM2.5) — can become a serious problem in the region. To protect public health, the Air District will issue a Winter Spare the Air Alert when PM2.5 concentrations are expected to be unhealthy.
    From November 1, 2009, through February 28, 2010, under the Air District's wood-burning regulation, when a Winter Spare the Air Alert is in effect, burning wood, firelogs, pellets, or any other solid fuels in your fireplace, woodstove, or other wood-burning device is illegal.
    When wood burning is allowed, residents who do burn in a fireplace or outdoor fire pit must still burn cleanly using dry, seasoned firewood, and not burn garbage, leaves or other material that would cause excessive smoke. Residents who exceed the excess visible smoke provision in the wood-burning rule could still be subject to an Air District citation or penalty.
    Follow these links for more information on the Air District's wood-burning regulation, and instructions on how to comply.
    Winter Spare the Air Alert Notifications

Residents and businesses can call 1-877-4NO-BURN (1-877-466-2876) to check the Winter Spare the Air Alert status and to report wood smoke concerns in their area.
    Residents can sign up to receive automatic Phone Alerts by calling 1-800-430-1515. If you signed up last year, you will remain on the roster to receive calls when this year's Winter Spare the Air season starts up again in November 2009
    Residents can also sign up for EnviroFlash AirAlerts to receive e-mail notification when Winter Spare the Air Alerts are issued. If you signed up last year, you should remain on the roster to receive e-mail notifications when this year's Winter Spare the Air season starts up again in November 2009.
    Wood Smoke

The nine counties that surround San Francisco Bay are home to almost seven million residents and an estimated 1.4 million fireplaces and woodstoves. Wood smoke air pollution from these wood-burning appliances has been a health concern in the Bay Area for many years, especially on winter evenings. Wood burning produces about one-third of the particulate pollution on a typical winter night.

Spare the Air Status

Wood Burning Status
    Saturday, 11/14
    (Midnight to Midnight)

Wood Burning Status
    Sunday, 11/15
    (Midnight to Midnight)

Related Links

Compliance
    Regulation
    Wood Smoke
    Five Day Forecast
    Particulate Matter
    PM Health Effects
    Fact Sheets
    PM Animations

5. TopTop #5
    farmfresh

your local fire department may be able to help with regulatory issues or other numbers to call.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post
    I so appreciate this information, and have put myself on the list to get a call the day before "No Burn Days".

I'm having a difficult time finding the exact penalities for burning in Rohnert Park on these days. My self absorbed partner doesn't seem to care, but if I could show him what it would cost him, he might change his mind.

Can anyone help with this info? I've called the number listed, but it's just a voice mail which tells if today or tomorrow is a "no burn day".