Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Thread: baby dove found
  • Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    ishouldbestudying

baby dove found

soo... found a baby dove in my yard ect ect- u know the usual story(yes we should have left him there but hes injured and the place is teaming with cats plus my littlebrother had already handled him so..)
    its conditions: wounds on its shoulder blades thou none too deep otherwise intact. its quite young- no real feathers and if im not much mistaken it still has its milk tooth(u know the pointy thing on the end of its beak used to break out of the egg).. ive taken care of birds before so i know the basics but never one this young... the primary problem is food.. what to give it and how but any other advice is welcomed :)
    oh and yeh ive also heard the usual "call a wildlife center" solution but its not too useful since i am curently in chile(a small latin county uve probaply never heard of)and chile definetly doesnt have wildlife centers
    so please answer quickly.. it would b realy great if this bird doesnt die thanks in advance for any help and sorry if i sound grumpy but i realy SHOULD be studying
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2

Re: baby dove found

Sonoma County Wildlife Rescue
    707-526-WILD (9453)
    Sonoma County Wildlife Rescue

Quote Posted in reply to the post by ishouldbestudying: View Post
    soo... found a baby dove in my yard ect ect- u know the usual story(yes we should have left him there but hes injured and the place is teaming with cats plus my littlebrother had already handled him so..)
    its conditions: wounds on its shoulder blades thou none too deep otherwise intact. its quite young- no real feathers and if im not much mistaken it still has its milk tooth(u know the pointy thing on the end of its beak used to break out of the egg).. ive taken care of birds before so i know the basics but never one this young... the primary problem is food.. what to give it and how but any other advice is welcomed :)
    oh and yeh ive also heard the usual "call a wildlife center" solution but its not too useful since i am curently in chile(a small latin county uve probaply never heard of)and chile definetly doesnt have wildlife centers
    so please answer quickly.. it would b realy great if this bird doesnt die thanks in advance for any help and sorry if i sound grumpy but i realy SHOULD be studying

3. TopTop #3
    babaruss

Oh boy...you have a real problem on your hands.
    A bird that has not begun to feather out no doubt fell from a nest or was dropped by a nest robbing predator.
    The bird is far too young for a huge chance of survival.
    Most of the items you'd need to feed the baby dove you probably won't find where you are.
    'Essential oil' needed to mix wit ground seed is not likely to be found in the hinterlands of Chile. You can make a valiant effort using a combination of
    whatever seed you can find to grind fine for beginning days of it hand feeding. Mix ground seed with a part of an egg yolk, liquid vitamins, and a bit of water...kind of liquid mixture...in other words not too dry.
    The stuff has to be fed via a syringe...hopefully you can find such a thing there. While trying to figure out where to get these items...keep bird warm,
    and hydrated. small drops down the throat. Do not put water in front of mouth as the bird breathes from under it's tongue.
    Feed bird until large bulge shows in throat area....it's really kind of hard to over feed a dove or pigeon regardless of age.
    The bird will slowly digest the food over a period of time.
    Good luck
    Baba

Quote Posted in reply to the post by ishouldbestudying: View Post
    Last edited by babaruss; 11-12-2009 at 10:35 PM.

4. TopTop #4
    Karinako

Quote Posted in reply to the post by tacitus: View Post
    Send him to PigeonTalk at www.pigeons.biz/forums - not sure why this came out differently the first time.
    Here's a story I wrote about a similar situation, based on reality. No animal organization would help me in Pittsburgh, PA:

Skyward Bound

It was silent and motionless on a mound of icy snow. She was walking along the avenue with a heavy sack of books, as usual, over her shoulder, when she saw it. All that moved was its eye as it looked at her, as though it were calling out for some kind of rescue. Its white and silver feathers were motionless.

It must have been hurt, she told herself, and paused. No one else on the busy avenue seemed to notice it. She set down her sack and took off her long bright shawl and approached the bird. It seemed to twitter as she came near but otherwise it seemed as though it were a frozen block. Gently she wrapped it in rounds and rounds of her seven foot scarf and put it under one arm and the sack of books over her other and walked on.

The Linguistics class which she was headed for had already started when she arrived. She sat near the door, holding the bundle on her lap. No one seemed to notice her bird. The professor continued to speak about speech being a human activity. She, being close to animals, raised her hands and asked about Chimpanzees who had learned sign language even made up new words using sign language. The professor said that speech requires a concept of time and animals have no concept of time. She raised her hand again as the bird started to wiggle its head in its drappings. She asked about dogs who were seized and returned home again. Didn’t they have a concept of time to be able to return home? He brushed her off and went on with his diatribe. She sat there patiently listening but being more preoccupied with the pigeon. What was she going to do about the pigeon?

Out of class, back at her office space, she brought a box and put the pigeon still wrapped in the scarf inside. She called the Humane Society, the Audubon Society, the Aviary, every place she could think of which would be able to take care of a potentially injured bird, and no one came through. One of her colleagues offered her a ride back to her place with it and she got the box and her bag of books and took the bird home.

She was not allowed to have pets, but there was already two cats, one dog, two finches, and an acquarium of angelfish. Now there was a pigeon. She unwrapped the bird and put it in a woven laundry basket with a lid and walked to the nearby store to buy some bird seed after giving it a small bowl of water.

Day after day, she raised the lid and checked on the condition of the bird as she read her Linguistics or typed her stories. At first there was little if any movement, then there was occasionally a flutter and eventually the bird could move around. She did not know if it had hurt a wing and would not be able to fly again. To try it out she eventually took it into the bathroom with door shut and watched as it flew around and then landed on the shower bar. It was ready, she thought. She caught it after several attempts and put it in the basket waiting till morning so it would have no trouble seeing where it would be going.

The next morning was a fine one, with the sky bright and no hint of snow. It had all melted in the week before. She brought the basket down from the 2nd floor apartment out on the landing with the steps and took off the lid. At first the bird did not seem to know what to do. Then she reached in and picked it out of the basket and tossed it up in the air. Immediately it extended its

wings and was flying. It soared directly up and then made one great circle in the sky, then another then another. Then it was gone.

5. TopTop #5
    babaruss

While you offered not the least bit of help to the poor student in Chile, you did at least find a way to showcase your writing talents.
    15 minutes of fame on Waccobb.com may not be the best shot at being discovered...but good luck just the same.
    Baba

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Karinako: View Post
    Here's a story I wrote about a similar situation, based on reality. No animal organization would help me in Pittsburgh, PA:

Skyward Bound

It was silent and motionless on a mound of icy snow. She was walking along the avenue with a heavy sack of books, as usual, over her shoulder, when she saw it. All that moved was its eye as it looked at her, as though it were calling out for some kind of rescue. Its white and silver feathers were motionless.

It must have been hurt, she told herself, and paused. No one else on the busy avenue seemed to notice it. She set down her sack and took off her long bright shawl and approached the bird. It seemed to twitter as she came near but otherwise it seemed as though it were a frozen block. Gently she wrapped it in rounds and rounds of her seven foot scarf and put it under one arm and the sack of books over her other and walked on.

The Linguistics class which she was headed for had already started when she arrived. She sat near the door, holding the bundle on her lap. No one seemed to notice her bird. The professor continued to speak about speech being a human activity. She, being close to animals, raised her hands and asked about Chimpanzees who had learned sign language even made up new words using sign language. The professor said that speech requires a concept of time and animals have no concept of time. She raised her hand again as the bird started to wiggle its head in its drappings. She asked about dogs who were seized and returned home again. Didn’t they have a concept of time to be able to return home? He brushed her off and went on with his diatribe. She sat there patiently listening but being more preoccupied with the pigeon. What was she going to do about the pigeon?

Out of class, back at her office space, she brought a box and put the pigeon still wrapped in the scarf inside. She called the Humane Society, the Audubon Society, the Aviary, every place she could think of which would be able to take care of a potentially injured bird, and no one came through. One of her colleagues offered her a ride back to her place with it and she got the box and her bag of books and took the bird home.

She was not allowed to have pets, but there was already two cats, one dog, two finches, and an acquarium of angelfish. Now there was a pigeon. She unwrapped the bird and put it in a woven laundry basket with a lid and walked to the nearby store to buy some bird seed after giving it a small bowl of water.

Day after day, she raised the lid and checked on the condition of the bird as she read her Linguistics or typed her stories. At first there was little if any movement, then there was occasionally a flutter and eventually the bird could move around. She did not know if it had hurt a wing and would not be able to fly again. To try it out she eventually took it into the bathroom with door shut and watched as it flew around and then landed on the shower bar. It was ready, she thought. She caught it after several attempts and put it in the basket waiting till morning so it would have no trouble seeing where it would be going.

The next morning was a fine one, with the sky bright and no hint of snow. It had all melted in the week before. She brought the basket down from the 2nd floor apartment out on the landing with the steps and took off the lid. At first the bird did not seem to know what to do. Then she reached in and picked it out of the basket and tossed it up in the air. Immediately it extended its

wings and was flying. It soared directly up and then made one great circle in the sky, then another then another. Then it was gone.
    Last edited by babaruss; 11-13-2009 at 07:19 PM.

6. TopTop #6
    babaruss

Please do not confuse critisism with unkindness Dian.
    The original email was a request for urgent help involving a student with very fragile, injured, baby dove.
    My take on the person's motive (whom you rise angrily to defend) was verified by her response in a later email.
    While this certainly wasn't a 911 call...if it had been, would you have wanted the call be interrupted by a bit of self promotion?
    There is a poetry section for such offerings is there not.
    Baba

Quote Posted in reply to the post by tacitus: View Post
    Unnecessary and unkind - I wonder if you would say this face-to-face. There is something about being online that can bring out the worst in folks.

Dian
    Last edited by Barry; 11-14-2009 at 06:08 PM.