Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Mary Carouba

Non-lethal snail removal?

Any proven techniques for ridding a garden of snails and slugs that doesn't involve killing them? Thanks, Mary
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Carl

Re: Non-lethal snail removal?

You could use Dr. Bronners soap diluted and sprayed on the leaves. Each bottle used to have the recipe, but it is a non toxic substance and you can decide how much soap to use. Insects and slugs do not like it much.

Or use a soap from Harmony Farm Supply, or I am sure they would have other suggestions.

Coffee grounds and cocoa hulls are good as ground cover, insects will not like that either. But be aware that they are also toxic to pets, to a certain degree.

Carl.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Mary Carouba:
    Any proven techniques for ridding a garden of snails and slugs that doesn't involve killing them? Thanks, Mary

3. TopTop #3
    Berocean

Re: Non-lethal snail removal?

Hello,
    We tried copper tape and it is not working well for snails because they are stubborn and always find a new way to reach to the leaves, I guess soap is a good idea I will try too, thanks.
    Bero

Quote Posted in reply to the post by r3miracles:
    It's my understanding that snails don't like to move across copper... You can buy strips of copper tape at the hardware store (has adhesive on the back)... You can protect the parts of your garden you don't want the snails to eat - yet leave them access to the parts you don't mind having them in... And, if I'm not mistaken, it's not lethal to them.

Be well,
    Jennifer