This morning I had a glimpse into the future. I saw the future of news "papers", magazines, and almost certainly books. I popped in to the "h+ Magazine" website, to view a particular article, which I enjoyed, and was also treated to a intriguing online magazine experience, and maybe a vision of the future of the reading experience.

I'd been considering getting a Kindle for my voracious book reading mate. This website changed my whole perspective on that idea. No Kindles for us! Instead, I will be purchasing a small laptop "Netbook" (Example). A netbook can provide the same "book experience" as a Kindle, but it also offers so much more, for approximately the same price, size, and weight.

I learned long ago to keep reading material with me at all times; you never know when you're going to be stuck in a long line, waiting room, or in your vehicle, waiting for a tow. If I'm going to carry something around with me, which is about the size of a book, why not have my books on it, a podcast or two, maybe a movie, my music collection, and several daily newspapers. Well, and why not be able to browse the web as well? And then there's email, tweet, and FaceBook. And, unlike the Kindle, there is no proprietary time-limit baloney, after which an article or book is automatically deleted.

Ladies & gents - the future now (requires a Flash player to be installed):

Text Link: h+ Magazine | Covering Technology