Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Tars

Homeless Man's Options?

A friend of mine has been living on the street for a couple of years now. It's the not unusual story of a person whose life was decimated by hard drugs. He spent some time in prison several years ago. He's been doing fairly well functionally for quite awhile now. But he would greatly benefit from help, organizing his fractured life, and getting it operating again.

I'm hoping to help a little, getting some forward momentum going. I'm wondering what public or charitable options are available in Sebastopol most particularly, but in the county as well.

I'd sure appreciate any info or suggestions from anyone whose dealt with this kind of situation.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    "Mad" Miles

Re: Homeless Man's Options?

Tars,

I meet many men like your friend at work. I have access to a County Resources list (for all the counties in California) that is put together by a lifer at San Quentin. It lists social service agencies and non-profits that help with housing, jobs, rehab and education.

It's not on me, but I'll bring it home tomorrow and post the Sonoma County list here (if I can, given the data limits on this site).

Its only drawback is that the guy who does it has no access to a phone or the internet, so some of the addresses are no longer for organizations in existence.

I understand the new 211 (?) system is for referral to Social Service agencies. They must have a data-base that they use. You might try them.

Good Luck to you and your friend,

"Mad" Miles

3. TopTop #3
    "Mad" Miles

Tars et al,

I have the Resources database, in Access. I suspect the volume will not allow me to send it to this website as an attached file. But I'm about to try.

If it doesn't work, email me personally and I'll send it attached to a personal email.

"Mad" Miles

P.S. Yep, the file is 15.3 MG, too large for wacco-land. Email me if you want a copy.

P.P.S. I had an amazing experience today. A production of "A Midsummer Night's Dream" by W. Shakespeare, put on in the Protestant Chapel by Marin Shakespeare Theatre Co. and the San Quentin Shakespeare Players. Rehearsed since September last, one performance only. Their second production that I've seen in the last year ("Much Ado About Nothing" was the previous show).

There was a truly transcendent moment where, in a place that is the most class divided that I've ever experienced in my life, and I grew up an Army Brat in Taiwan, Colorado, Korea and Alabama, lived in a ghetto in south London, a squat south of Paris, thirteen years in Chicago, where the troupe of lifers and professional actors along with the audience with all it's various parts: lifers, visitors, brown card holders, education free staff, correctional officers - all joined in laughter and exhiliration, in a moment towards the end of the play, to become one group, completely oblivious to the invisible and palpably visible walls between us and around us. Amazing....

Yes, these lifers did very bad things to end up there. But many of them have done years of work (it's called "programming") to become something and somebody that is very different from who they were when they came in.

They take full responsibility for what they have done, they recognize and publicly acknowledge what they were. They sincerely beg whatever forgiveness is possible from who they have harmed (at least the survivors, i.e. the families of their victims).

Eventually, they're going to hit our streets, so their contrition, regret and work on themselves are good things. We're talking decades of time served by each one before they get paroled.

The real question is, are we ready for them? Will they have a place in society that will allow them to be who they want to be?

Ah, there's the rub...

4. TopTop #4
    bodegahead

West county Community Services would be a good start. They offer everything from counseling to food to employment training and help with housing. They used to be in the big green building across frm the car dealer but I believe they are now in the church across from Safeway. Here is their website.
    www.westcountyservices.org/

5. TopTop #5
    Shandi

I met a man a few years ago who'd served some prison time for drugs and theft. He has a wife and a little girl, who's now 4. I asked him to write a list of his skills and talents. He had a long list, some of which included work I needed done around the house. So, I hired him to do some tree trimming, weeding, mowing, etc. My neighbor also used him for similar work.

He got into drugs and had to spend more time in prison. He's out now, and has come to me for work. Luckily, I need a lot of stuff done, so he takes the bus from South Marin to Rohnert Park, once or twice a week. He says he's ready to change his life. He's attending anger management classes, and is enrolled in an upcoming solar installation training program.

I believe that giving a person a way to express their skills and talents for a fair wage (an amount that we would work for) is the best thing we can do for them. Little by little, they have the opportunity to show responsibility and be rewarded.

I think we have a lot more services in this county, than many others. So, I think that kind of support is there, and hopefully it includes "assimilation"
    training.

It's easy to go into fear around people who've been in prison, but we all know that there are high officials who've committed serious crimes, and will not
    be punished, because of their power and connections.

We've all broken the law, and most have not been caught. See yourself in those less fortunate, and find a way to help that's not a hand out. I once
    gave a homeless man a bed for the night, and after he had breakfast he was
    saying how sorry he was that he couldn't give me anything. And I said "oh,
    you have much to give that I need. You can start by taking the trash out."
    He beamed, and said "Oh sure." Giving doesn't always need to be in terms of money or material things. It's really all about energy anyway.

Mentorship is another way to give energy to those who want to learn what we know. I mentor people whenever I get the opportunity, especially those who are willing, and may benefit from it.

Sandy Murphey

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Tars: View Post
    A friend of mine has been living on the street for a couple of years now. It's the not unusual story of a person whose life was decimated by hard drugs. He spent some time in prison several years ago. He's been doing fairly well functionally for quite awhile now. But he would greatly benefit from help, organizing his fractured life, and getting it operating again.

I'm hoping to help a little, getting some forward momentum going. I'm wondering what public or charitable options are available in Sebastopol most particularly, but in the county as well.

I'd sure appreciate any info or suggestions from anyone whose dealt with this kind of situation.

6. TopTop #6
    jitterbug

Another resource you might want to try is COTS - Committee On The Shelterless. They offer many different services.

7. TopTop #7
    Tars

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Mad Miles: View Post
    I have the Resources database, in Access.
    Thanks for your input, Miles. Is the database by any chance displayed on the web? What is the actual title?

8. TopTop #8
    Hot Compost

the SRJC has a lot of resources & once Exchange Bank starts making money again, the Doyle Scholarship will start having $$ to give to students for scholarships.

if your homeless friend is interested, there ought to be a program (or 2) he can sink his teeth into at the JC.

there's a guy in Santa Rosa who lives in his camper, he has a sign saying "on strike against unfair housing costs." i was talking to him about that, how much do the cops hassle him etc. he told me he used the Doyle scholarship and got some educational certificate that way.

2 benefits
    * learn useful skills (e.g. sustainable ag.)
    * something non-destructive to focus his mind on. "Drishti" - that's the term they use in yoga.

9. TopTop #9
    bodegahead

There is a Sonoma County Homesless Resource Guide. Has everything from food to medical, clothing, classes, housing help. I just talked to West County Dommunity Services in Guernville and they have them there. They will be sending a few thru inter office mail to the Sebastopool office if you would want to pick one up.

10. TopTop #10
    bodegahead

Sonoma County Homeless Resource Guide, Sonoma County Homeless Resource Guide

11. TopTop #11
    Dianala

Check out resources at this link: Sonoma County Homeless Resource Guide

Scroll down to Housing/transitional housing for resources in the county. I don't know of housing resources in Sebastopol.

Best,
    Dianala

12. TopTop #12
    "Mad" Miles

Belay the following,

I downloaded the copy, and couldn't open any of the county lists. Unless others have better software than I do, and can use it, it looks like we are back to being well and truly banjaxed!

So my adulation of Barry, expressed below, is provisionally withdrawn, at least in regard to this particular conundrum.

"M"M

Tars et al,

I have the Resources database, in Access.

"Mad" Miles

Enlightened Leader and Master Chertov (Sic.) has solved whatever technical barrier prevented me from attaching the database.

It is for all of California, since I couldn't figure out how to pull out just the Sonoma County part.

Use it in good health.

Keep in mind the guy that compiles it cannot clear out the dead addresses. If any of them turn out to no longer be active, please let me know so that I can let him know.

We're no longer banjaxed! At least in this regard...

"Mad" Miles

Last edited by "Mad" Miles; 06-18-2009 at 02:20 PM.

13. TopTop #13
    Tars

Thanks to all of you who responded to my query. I followed the links here, looking for possible shelter options for my friend. Looks like almost all homeless shelters are geared mainly towards women, and women/families with children. The only shelters I saw available for men were either seasonal, or religion-oriented, which probably aren't workable for my friend. None of those were within 10 miles of Sebastopol.

Guess it's time to try to get a bit creative. I'm in discussion a local (Sebastopol) service organization, to see if they'll sponsor this man's rent in return for a set amount of work per month. Any other "creative" suggestions regarding this situation would be appreciated.

14. TopTop #14
    Shandi

I would think that the first order of business for your friend would be for him to create a list of his skills. It doesn't have to be a resume, but in order for him to work in exchange for anything, people need to know what he can do, or has an inclination to learn.

We don't know the age range of this person. If he's young and inexperienced, he would be able to do jobs that he could learn easily.
    If he has some experience, and prison does afford this kind of thing in some areas, he's in a better position.

As I mentioned before, my friend has a page full of skills, some of which were learned in prison, and only mentioned one of them, which was weed whacking, and it got him a beautiful home in exchange for property maintainence. It even has a greenhouse that had been used for orchids.

With this large community, I'm sure that if he listed his skills, that he'd have some interest from people who may have available housing in some form. It's important to know a little about the person, and a reference or two in order for people to be willing to even take time to meet with him for an interview.

So, I say his first "job" is to list his skills, age group, physical abilities or limitations, and references to anyone who knows him on a personal or professional level. (Probation officer would even work.)

I wonder if there's some kind of support group for this population?

Sandy (Shandi) Murphey

Thanks to all of you who responded to my query. I followed the links here, looking for possible shelter options for my friend. Looks like almost all homeless shelters are geared mainly towards women, and women/families with children. The only shelters I saw available for men were either seasonal, or religion-oriented, which probably aren't workable for my friend. None of those were within 10 miles of Sebastopol.

Guess it's time to try to get a bit creative. I'm in discussion a local (Sebastopol) service organization, to see if they'll sponsor this man's rent in return for a set amount of work per month. Any other "creative" suggestions regarding this situation would be appreciated.

15. TopTop #15
    "Mad" Miles

You can download the file from:
    https://www.waccobb.net/forums/wacco...0Resources.zip

It turns out hotmail will not allow me to attach it as an email.

I can't save it as a file on this website (volume limits).

If I can find another way to share it via the internet, I'll post that information on this board.

Until then, sorry, we're banjaxed!

"Mad" Miles

16. TopTop #16
    Dianala

This is partially true. Catholic Charities and COTS in Petaluma are year round and have shelters for anyone, AND they do not require religious participation. The Russian River shelter is seasonal.

There certainly could be more homeless shelter availability in the West County though. Best wishes to help to create some. There are empty buildings that could work, just need a 501(3) or Church to support and find funding.
    Dianala

17. TopTop #17
    galephil

It's great that you care enough to research the options and have the energy to look for other options.

FYI, there is a group of people in Guerneville working to expand the winter shelter into a year round facility. They are working with West County Community Services while they are in process to become a separate non-profit entity. I believe they would welcome your energy in their efforts. I suggest that you contact WCCS to see if you can connect with them.

Gale

18. TopTop #18
    Tars

You can download the file from:
    Got it - thanks!