Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1

What kind of websites do you frequently visit? Muzic!

Hey, Im tired of the few websites I seem to be stuck on at the moment. So tell me what websites you like so that I may peep. Im open to all kinds of wierd and awesome stuff to waste my time reading, or listening to. Oh, speaking of which how about some music too? Itd be nice to expand that collection as well. Feed my brain!
    Last edited by someguy; 06-08-2009 at 01:42 PM. Reason: hahahahahahahahahahahah stoned
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Cheingrand

Re: What kind of websites do you frequently visit? Muzic!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by someguy: View Post
    Hey, Im tired of the few websites I seem to be stuck on at the moment. So tell me what websites you like so that I may peep. Im open to all kinds of wierd and awesome stuff to waste my time reading, or listening to. Oh, speaking of which how about some music too? Itd be nice to expand that collection as well. Feed my brain!
    For music, here are few interesting sites:

H O B E R Thinking Radio
    Slacker Personal Radio - Listen to Free Internet Radio Stations
    KOWS Community Radio Project | Occidental Arts & Ecology Center

3. TopTop #3
    Valley Oak

Here are some of the websites I visit everyday:

ELPAÍS.com: el periódico global de noticias en español

San Francisco Bay Area — News, Sports, Business, Entertainment, Classifieds: SFGate

The New York Times - Breaking News, World News & Multimedia

Democracy Now! | Radio and TV News

HRC | Home

Marriage Equality USA

Courage Campaign

www.waccobb.net

Welcome to Facebook | Facebook

Sonoma State University

Wikipedia

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Edward

4. TopTop #4

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Valley Oak: View Post
    Here are some of the websites I visit everyday:...
    I frequently visit youtube and wikipedia too... What kind of stuff are you looking up? Id be interested in watching/reading about new stuff. Which makes me want to go visit marriage equality usa and courage campaign. Should be good reading...
    Last edited by Barry; 06-10-2009 at 01:01 PM.

5. TopTop #5
    hales

Hey, Someguy..
    A lot of sites now have the amazing property of turning you on to new music.. if you go to someone's myspace page, say, your favorite cool band... you can see their "friends" sites.. lots of musical connections that you would never make, but you just click through to find new cool stuff.
    On myspace music sites, for instance, you can listen to up to five or so songs, for free, then click through the associated sites to find other cool stuff.

(As far as downloading free music, I don't things that's generally fair to musicians, unless they offer it for free.. listen to it then buy it for less than you would pay in a CD retail environment. )

Same with Netflix, Rhapsody, Amazon.. you can find out what other people who liked what you liked are listening to or watching.

Or go to YouTube.com and look up your favorite musician, you may find stuff that is not on a CD, such as live shows with other guest musicians, etc.. say, you like Norah Jones; you can find her singing with Emmy Lou Harris, Willie Nelson, or Bonnie Raitt, for an example, or Bob Dylan with Mark Knopfler, or other cool people. Same with Rhapsody.. find your favorite music, then find other similar music, or music that people who liked what you like, like, you know.. like.. ; )

Huffington Post looks like a good liberal blog.. I've read stories from there and just took a look at it. Grist.com is okay, too. You can go to Slate, or Salon.com - Breaking news, opinion, politics, entertainment, sports and culture. for more liberal, literate stuff. For liberal activism, check MoveOn.org: Democracy in Action, and get on their mailing list if you want a sh**load of information and options to get involved; just visit the site, if you don't. (If you are a right winger or middle-of-the-road, I guess you are on you're own.. ; )

TED: Ideas worth spreading is an awesome place to find stuff about the arts, science, philosopy.. at a much higher level information and stimulation than the 99 per cent of what's "out there". PLEASE check this on out.. it's really a high quality site. I found some cool stuff on the PBS site, too.. very high quality video and music, such as the Stevie Wonder Concert that President Obama attended, recently, or the Paul Simon tribute show. (actually, I'm having trouble finding the Paul Simon Show.. )

The Library of Congress Gershwin Prize for Popular Song | PBS

This is what Google is handy for.. enter the artist and search google video or type in the name of the musician plus the site you want to find it on..

Well, try that and see what you find.. Google will help you find what you want, if you type in exactly what you want or as much as you know, anyway..

S.

6. TopTop #6

Quote Posted in reply to the post by hales: View Post
    Hey, Someguy...

TED: Ideas worth spreading is an awesome place to find stuff about the arts, science, philosopy.. at a much higher level information and stimulation than the 99 per cent of what's "out there". PLEASE check this on out.. it's really a high quality site. ...
    Mary Roach: 10 things you didn't know about orgasm | Video on TED.com
    This was a great video! Im looking forward to seeing more. Thanks Hales.
    Last edited by Barry; 06-10-2009 at 01:03 PM.

7. TopTop #7

Hey Hales,

Since you turned me onto PBS, I thought Id share a great band and performance I found on the site. Check it out. Soundstage - Umphrey's McGee

8. TopTop #8
    Lorih

Music Sites:
    - Pandora.com (give it a song or artist and it will create a radio station of songs with similarities... I once gave it a bluegrass song and the station eventually played Bjork)

- Last.fm (similar to above, but stays within a genre)

- Musicovery.com (tell it the tempo and dark/lightness of the music you want. You can also pic certain genres and time periods)

9. TopTop #9
    C Tut

Quote TED: Ideas worth spreading is an awesome place to find stuff about the arts, science, philosopy.. at a much higher level information and stimulation than the 99 per cent of what's "out there".
    TED is fantastic! Highly recommended. Also, This American Life is absolutely brilliant. They have been NPR/PRI since '97 or so, and have 100's of episodes archived on their site that you can stream for free. Amazing...my very favorite piece of media out there www.thislife.org

10. TopTop #10

Thanks for the awesome info. As for music websites, Ive put in a lot of hours building up my jango account. Its a pretty sweet website, a lot like pandora. Also thanks to everyone, Ive found some great reading thus far. Please keep feeding it.
    Last edited by someguy; 06-10-2009 at 02:24 PM.