Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Thread: Petaluma Vegan
  • Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    amazingdave

Petaluma Vegan

Hi,
    I recently moved to Petaluma, and just found this forum. Anyone else on here in petaluma? any other vegans?

I haven't found any place yet that I am really comfortable eating. Are there any good vegan friendly restaurants around?

And uh. I'm dave. Nice to meet you guys :)
    Last edited by amazingdave; 01-22-2009 at 05:53 PM. Reason: changed "here" to Petaluma
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    Cara Mia

Re: Petaluma Vegan

Hi Dave-

I recently moved to Petaluma too and the answer's no, maybe Whole Foods. :) I've asked around and there used to be a healthy restaurant, but it went out of business. I eat raw vegan and there's a fantastic raw potluck the first Friday of each month, which always has the most amazing food and great folks. See Raw Glow: everything you need to transition to raw foods. .

Good luck!
    Mia

Quote Posted in reply to the post by amazingdave: View Post
    Hi,
    I recently moved to Petaluma, and just found this forum. Anyone else on here in petaluma? any other vegans?

I haven't found any place yet that I am really comfortable eating. Are there any good vegan friendly restaurants around?

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #3
    amazingdave

Hi,

I will check that out. I did raw foods for one summer. I heard about the vegan place that closed. I heard it wasnt that great, but I wouldn't care, just would be nice to have something.

So uh, what's your story, what brought you here?

6. Gratitude expressed by:

7. TopTop #4
    amazingdave

oh, by the way, i have the best recipe ever for raw crepes.

8. TopTop #5
    Sylph

Hi Dave,
    Would you please post your recipe? I'd love to learn some good raw recipes. Have you been to Seed in SR?
    Cyn

oh, by the way, i have the best recipe ever for raw crepes.

9. TopTop #6
    Lyndi

There's a county group with monthly potlucks:
    Next Community Potluck!

Hi,

10. TopTop #7
    DevaKai

I'm a vegan and I live in Santa Rosa.

Slice of Life in Sebastopol is a good place to eat.

Nice to meet you Dave

Hi,

11. TopTop #8
    amazingdave

This is copied and pasted from a recipe I found online. I edited it a little bit, the one i used was out of a book that I cant seem to find.

banana leather crepes w strawberry sauce

blend 5-6 bananas pour on telflex spread into square (at least 1/8" thick), dehydrate till dry & flexable but not crispy. (14 hrs)

i sliced them into 2" x 4" pieces
    put a spoonful of filling on the banana leather and roll it up
    plate seam down so they stay closed

Put 1-1/2 c of strawberries & a little drizzle of Agave nectar in the food processor till its liquefied and pour over the crepes.
    let stand awhile to soften the fruit leather.

You can put more sliced strawberries or blueberries on top too.

the filling:
    1c macadamia nuts
    1c cashews
    juice of 1 lg lemon
    2 t braggs (or shoyu)
    4 t agave (they called for honey, but I don't eat honey, and agave is better anyway)
    2 t water
    1 t vanilla (I think I used vanilla beans, if you haven't tried them in a recipe before they are way better than just vanilla, but expensive)

just dump everything in the food processor and blend until its smooth.

depending on if you like things sweet you might want to use less agave nectar. I thought it was great but it is pretty sweet.

12. TopTop #9
    amazingdave

Btw,

thanks everyone for responding to me.

I have a really good & easy almond milk recipe too.

13. TopTop #10
    airdancer

Hi Dave. Petaluma has a restaurant called Zazzle that has vegan options on their menu and are very vegan friendly. They are located on Kentucky Street, right downtown. There is also a new Himalyan/Indian restaurant right around the corner from Petaluma Market on Western Avenue. They also have several vegan options. It's called Himalayan Kabob & Curry House and it's at 220 Western Ave. Both of these restaurants actually use the word 'vegan' in their menus!

Yea!! Another vegan!

janis
    Hi,

14. Gratitude expressed by:

15. TopTop #11
    amazingdave

awesome. I will try out that Himalayan place. thanks

16. TopTop #12
    amazingdave

what about places in the area to just go for a hike or something, maybe without a ton of pavement and people and stuff?

Also, I've been reading other threads but haven't really found anything I felt like I had anything to say about. I DO want to talk to you all though :).

I'm pretty bored. Haven't found much outside of work to entertain myself here. OOh, anyone teach piano? I want to learn.

17. TopTop #13
    hales

Have you tried the restaurant "Zazzle"? It claims to have "many vegan dishes".. it's on Kentucky St., apparently. (I'm not a vegan, but I like fresh food, and my son is a vegetarian, as are many of my friends.. )

Cafe Zazzle: EAT THIS!

Scott

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Cara Mia: View Post
    Hi Dave-

I recently moved to Petaluma too and the answer's no, maybe Whole Foods. :) I've asked around and there used to be a healthy restaurant, but it went out of business. I eat raw vegan and there's a fantastic raw potluck the first Friday of each month, which always has the most amazing food and great folks. See Raw Glow: everything you need to transition to raw foods. .

Good luck!
    Mia

18. TopTop #14
    hales

In fact, here are some other vegan options in the county..

Vegan Friendly Restaurants!

19. TopTop #15
    amazingdave

oh. the almond milk. its not so much a recipe as just simple instructions, but it never occurred to me to make almond milk till someone told me how. I just assumed it was some kind of hard process.

the trick is to soak the almonds overnight. just put them in a bowl and fill it up with water and leave it in the fridge overnight.

then you just dump the water out throw the almonds in the blender with some water ( I always use new water, but i suppose maybe you could use the water you soaked the almonds in. hmm) for flavor you can try different things. the guy that taught me liked to put a little anise in there. I think that tastes funny, i just like a little vanilla, salt, and sometimes some agave nectar, really doesnt need sweetenter.

so ya, just blend the heck outa that. and then strain it through cheese cloth or whatever you have. I have these huge cotton tea bags that I use. even an old tshirt would probably work. you have to kinda do a little bit at a time and squeeze the almond pulp to get the maximum almond milk goodness out of there. - make sure whatever you strain it though is going to keep all the tiny almond bits out. I first tried doing it with a sift... like for baking and it was still too gritty.

One last thing- you'll be left with some almond pulp. I've heard you can dry it and use it for baking. I just let my dog have it.

thats it.

20. TopTop #16
    Shandi

Thanks for sharing your almond milk instructions.

Whenever I have to strain something when I want to keep even the smallest pieces out, I always use a nylon stocking, a knee high usually works fine.
    Depending on what I'm straining, I use gloves if I don't want to get too messy.

21. TopTop #17
    Brianne

Hi ya'll!

So...there is a new place that opened in November, and the GRAND OPENING Party is this Saturday. It's called The Sunflower Center and it serves Lydia's Organics! It is 100% Vegan, just about 100% Organic, and has both live and cooked menu items. If you're familiar with Lydia Kindheart, or Lydia's Lovin Foods which offers live, fresh foods in Whole Foods and other markets, as well as dehydrated and dry products like crackers and bars, and there is a restaurant in Fairfax called "Lydia's Kitchen" - The Sunflower Center serving Lydia's Organics basically has the same menu, with some additions!

And, it's a community center and events space! It's on North McDowell, a little North of Applebee's.

If you haven't checked it out yet I highly highly recommend it...my favorite Vegan and Live Foods restaurant in Petaluma! Yay!

Bri

22. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

23. TopTop #18
    hales

Hi, Bri.. how do you find, it, going north on McDowell? I looked around there, a few weeks ago and counldn't find it. Is it in one of those big office buildings?

Scott.

24. TopTop #19
    Sylph

I just saw it on Biteclub and definitely want to try it! I will check out the one in Fairfax, too. I go to Fairfax for the eclectic, informal music scene.
    https://www.petaluma360.com/article/...NITY/120129973