Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    JuliaB

Introducing myself and the new Science and Spirit Category

Welcome to the new Science and Spirit category.
    My name is Julia Bystrova, (FYI julfire is my artist/poet name) and I am your host in this new category. I am very excited because I know there are a lot of you here who are creative, inquiring minds and hearts. I look forward to hearing who you are and your ideas, concepts and perspectives.

Besides just the fun of exploring together and the joy of new and interesting ways of understanding our world, I also feel a need for these kinds of discussions for the following reasons:

1. there is a tendency in the more "new age" or religious circles to co-opt the terms and data from science to apply to their agenda in ways that compromise the integrity of both. I do not want ever to disrespect anyone's belief, but I do want to promote a clearer understanding of the differences between science and spirit. Good fences make good neighbors!

2. there has been a tendency in science to dismiss the spiritual pursuit or whatever cannot be studied and replicated, or that there may be a taboo in academic circles against. I would like to promote the important places where science and spirit do appear to overlap and invite the opening of our minds in this regard. Good fences should have good gates!

there is no conclusion, there is much disagreement, there are many perspectives, Science and Spirit is first and foremost a discussion.

A little about me in case ya wanna know

I have been involved with this area of inquiry most of my life. I have had the honor of meeting and talking with some of the world's most amazing minds, noble prize winning scientists and reknowned theologians. I have a graduate degree in science and spirituality, working under the supervision of internationally known philosopher Philip Clayton (who has published several books on science and religion). I studied both science and philosophy, attended interfaith seminary to become an ordained minister and have a health and healing practice where I approach my work from a grounded "science and spirit" approach to healing. I am fascinated by the physiology and neurophysiology of the body as a map to understanding consciousness. I was immersed in both worlds most of my life with a scientist, non-believing father and a devoted minister mother. Feel free to ask any question and I will try to give you some directions to look. I want to be clear that I do not have any conclusive answers and I am not here to promote my personal beliefs as any better than others. Besides, I find I know less and less as time goes on. Pretty soon I'll know nothing!

now tell me about you!
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    NudeTea

Re: Introducing myself and the new Science and Spirit Category

My name is Stephen. Pleased to meet you, Julia. You've presented your intentions rather clearly here. I thank you for that.

One thing that I see Science and Spirit as having in common is that our understanding of each of them is in a continual pattern of morphing, changing, revising.

I've visited as many churches and / or religions as a person probably would.in a lifetime. I've heard sufficient opinions to be able to safely tell you, Julia, that it's pretty hard to offend me in 'discussion.' It's when people start preaching absolutes to me that I shut down and start backing away slowly; looking for a door. LOL

So, glad to see the category open up, and it's a pleasure.

3. TopTop #3
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

Re: Introducing myself and the new Science and Spirit Category

Hey Julia, Tis but I, Mykil my lady; I can’t wait to see where this new category shall lead us all! I have been waiting…

My life, as most know, is all about the never ending evolution at hand, while trying to understand that living in the now, as in one is all, is understanding that past, present, and future, are all rolled up into one moment in this time, I expect nothing more, or nothing less, jest the happy medium that our evolution provides. On my path of spiritually and enlightenment, I have come across major hurdles that have always lead me back to mysticism. I have seen soooo far yet am still trying to see the greener grass on the other side. Hmmmm!

In my eyes it does not take a genius to figure out that all spiritually, mysticism, paranormal are all about science. They are one! For all you skeptics out there, in my eyes again, there really is no room for skepticism when you should be seeing things in the light that ghosts and psychic abilities are all but science. Everything is! Shall you prove everyone wrong by figuring it out? By all means we can use all the help we can get! In short there really is no paranormal activities, we just have not figured them out as of yet! When we do you can be the first to say “I told you so”! Hmmm again, enough is enough for now! I for one am ecstatic to se the new category!

I have been working on a few correlations with science and spirituality when my mind has free time, I am busy this time of year and my mind is tiresome to say the least, I shall put something into words and see what others pertain from a few of my own intuitions. Until then…
    P~E~A~C~E
    Last edited by mykil; 01-22-2009 at 11:51 AM.