Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    JuliaB

Welcome to the Science and Spirit Category!

Welcome to the Science and Spirit category on WaccoBB.net! This list is a place for those interested in having discussions or knowing more about subjects that concern both science and spirituality. We welcome people of all beliefs, backgrounds and education. Questioning, reflection, sharing and hearing different perspectives is a great way to learn about ourselves and others. This group respects the scientific method for exploring and understanding this world, yet also honors and allows for an experience beyond what is directly provable by this method, herein referred to as "spirit".

The discussions here may be stronger in one camp or the other, but the main aim of this category is to explore ways we can understand ourselves and the world we live in that is satisfying to both our disciplined reasoning and to our experiential feeling, to our left and right hemispheres! Perhaps this can be characterized as a bridging of "mind and body". Ultimately, let this be a playground where we dynamically evolve our personal and collective intelligence, and if I may be so bold, to 'grow our consciousness' in general.

Guidelines for content:
    • information on science, especially as it relates to more spiritual interests.
    • insight and information on anything spiritual, especially as it allows for the understandings of science
    • book reviews and links to relevant websites
    • philosophical explorations on related inquiries
    • personal perspectives, questions and musings on a related subject
    Content should be clear and concise enough to inform and potentially engage a conversation. Long articles should be summarized with a link referral.

Be respectful responding to another post. It's fine to disagree, but give your reasons and respect our differences. Refrain from knee jerk reactions and insults or you will be moderated. This is a place for understanding, not just bantering opinions. Email is a difficult medium for conveying the full meaning of a person's intent and easily misunderstood. Give others the benefit of the doubt.

The subjects that are in the overlapping arena between science and spirit are many and varied, and they naturally touch on important cultural issues as well. The subjects below are a few, but there are many more!

• ethics
    • genetic manipulation
    • spiritual technologies
    • how science and spirit can or cannot relate to each other
    • quantum physics and how that relates to our perception of reality
    • health and healing
    • the belief in the existence or nonexistence of a God, higher intelligence or anything of that nature
    • paranormal experiences
    • altered states of consciousness
    Welcome!
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Yubajeff

Re: Welcome to the Science and Spirit Category!

Julia, You rock even worse than I thought! This topic is the favorite of my left brain. Neurotheology and the existence of "the God Particle" are additional vocabulary for the necessary discussion, which requires some linguistic innovation. Modern neuroimaging is revealing the neuronal events which correlate with spiritual activity. My personal speculation-and you will hear this no where else- is the that divine resides within us in the cerebellum. Not to chop the brain matter into a pate', but synaptic connectivity and axonal impulse speed are the driving force and the limiting factors in cognition and sensory perception. My belief system is that improvisational dance links the interface of the physicial, energetic, spiritual and temporal worlds. Let the discussion begin and the good times roll. And here I though no one else was interested in these things!
    Yubajeff

Quote Posted in reply to the post by JuliaB: View Post
    Welcome to the Science and Spirit category on WaccoBB.net! This list is a place for those interested in having discussions or knowing more about subjects that concern both science and spirituality. We welcome people of all beliefs, backgrounds and education. Questioning, reflection, sharing and hearing different perspectives is a great way to learn about ourselves and others. This group respects the scientific method for exploring and understanding this world, yet also honors and allows for an experience beyond what is directly provable by this method, herein referred to as "spirit".

The discussions here may be stronger in one camp or the other, but the main aim of this category is to explore ways we can understand ourselves and the world we live in that is satisfying to both our disciplined reasoning and to our experiential feeling, to our left and right hemispheres! Perhaps this can be characterized as a bridging of "mind and body". Ultimately, let this be a playground where we dynamically evolve our personal and collective intelligence, and if I may be so bold, to 'grow our consciousness' in general.

Guidelines for content:
    • information on science, especially as it relates to more spiritual interests.
    • insight and information on anything spiritual, especially as it allows for the understandings of science
    • book reviews and links to relevant websites
    • philosophical explorations on related inquiries
    • personal perspectives, questions and musings on a related subject
    Content should be clear and concise enough to inform and potentially engage a conversation. Long articles should be summarized with a link referral.

Be respectful responding to another post. It's fine to disagree, but give your reasons and respect our differences. Refrain from knee jerk reactions and insults or you will be moderated. This is a place for understanding, not just bantering opinions. Email is a difficult medium for conveying the full meaning of a person's intent and easily misunderstood. Give others the benefit of the doubt.

The subjects that are in the overlapping arena between science and spirit are many and varied, and they naturally touch on important cultural issues as well. The subjects below are a few, but there are many more!
    • ethics
    • genetic manipulation
    • spiritual technologies
    • how science and spirit can or cannot relate to each other
    • quantum physics and how that relates to our perception of reality
    • health and healing
    • the belief in the existence or nonexistence of a God, higher intelligence or anything of that nature
    • paranormal experiences
    • altered states of consciousness
    Welcome!

3. TopTop #3
    iaim2xl
    Supporting member

Re: Welcome to the Science and Spirit Category!

Yubajeff is not alone. I also say Julia rocks! (for better or for worse...) As a person who prides myself on having TWO halves of a brain (both left and right), I stand with my feet firmly planted, one in the "real" world and the other in the "spirit" world.

I blatantly reject the woo-woo magic of religion as well as the silly notion that everything must be measurable for it to be real. Both approaches miss the mark. So I delight in the tying of science and spirit together. And why not?

We are spiritual beings having a physical experience, and we have the opportunity to relate to Creation intuitively through faith and/or empirically through the senses. Heck, if someone knew how to do it, there's probably a formula for God they could put on the blackboard Einstein-style!

Heck, we seem to be moving in that direction. The gap between quantum physics and metaphysics is quickly eroding!

One of the reasons I think there's real value in pursuing this connecting bridge between the two worlds of thought is that it could help bring people together. If fundamentalists could be brought to realize there isn't just one way (theirs), we could stop a lot of polarization and wars. If atheists and skeptics could be brought to realize there IS something to this spiritual stuff, maybe there would be a little more tolerance and openness from there side, too.

I know Julia as a deep thinker who brings a lot to the table in a discussion like this. And it's right for the times. You go, girl! Count me in.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Yubajeff: View Post
    Julia, You rock even worse than I thought! This topic is the favorite of my left brain. Neurotheology and the existence of "the God Particle" are additional vocabulary for the necessary discussion, which requires some linguistic innovation. Modern neuroimaging is revealing the neuronal events which correlate with spiritual activity. My personal speculation-and you will hear this no where else- is the that divine resides within us in the cerebellum. Not to chop the brain matter into a pate', but synaptic connectivity and axonal impulse speed are the driving force and the limiting factors in cognition and sensory perception. My belief system is that improvisational dance links the interface of the physicial, energetic, spiritual and temporal worlds. Let the discussion begin and the good times roll. And here I though no one else was interested in these things!
    Yubajeff