Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    JOZUB

"Slumdog Millionaire" >>> Danny Boyle's New Film is Brilliant and Full of Live!

Brilliant movie, full of life.
    I know you'll enjoy it :o)

Una película genial y llena de vida.
    Sé que la van a disfrutar :o)
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Re: "Slumdog Millionaire" >>> Danny Boyle's New Film is Brilliant and Full of Live!

Mrs. W and I quite agree!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by JOZUB: View Post

Brilliant movie, full of life.
    I know you'll enjoy it :o)

Una película genial y llena de vida.
    Sé que la van a disfrutar :o)

3. TopTop #3
    "Mad" Miles

Re: "Slumdog Millionaire" >>> Danny Boyle's New Film is Brilliant and Full of Live!

Ditto

I loved how the gameshow host pronounced it, "Millunaire!" I kept thinking about hatmakers.

I saw it a couple of weeks ago. I had a conversation at work with a colleague who wasn't sure if the heavies in the beginning were cops or private security for the gameshow/TV network. I am sure they were cops, and there was a quick line indicating that.

A rough movie to watch though. Some very graphic and sickening violence of several kinds. Be forewarned.

"Mad" Miles

aka Miles On Movies (in hiatus, no time or energy)

Best things I've seen in the last few months -

Superlative:

Milk (Sean Penn embodies and channels Harvey Milk, who's the better contemporary actor, him or Phillip Seymour Hoffman? An impossible choice. Plus it's the history of a successful modern American [U.S.] grassroots political movement. How many of those do we get to celebrate at the movies? Not many.)

Rachel Getting Married (Anne Hathaway can really act!!!)

I've Loved You So Long (Best line about the reality of prison that I've ever heard in a film, Kristin Scott Thomas is a phenomenal actor. The film is slow, dour and gray, [Quelle Francais!] but the denouement will have you weeping, in a good but painful way.)

Very Good:

Tropic Thunder (Great send up of Hollywood and the bloated egos that inhabit the movie industry.)

Synedoche NY (Life sucks and then you die, but it can be an interesting ride. And it's Phillip Seymour Hoffman as a miserable schlump, yet he still gets us to care about him!?)

The Day The Earth Stood Still (Yes, I know the critics tore into this one, but if you're a radical environmentalist, like me, and a huge fan [a word I abhore and rarely use to describe myself, but for want of a better one ...] of Jennifer Connelly then you'll want to see this.)

OK:

Changling, Vicky Christina Barcelona, RockNRolla, Babylon AD (Charlotte Rampling is the villain! Cool!)

Avoid:

Australia (Bazz Luhrman needs to go back to school and learn how not to be such a ridiculous over indicator who treats his stories, actors and audience as stupid children. Watching Nicole Kidmann try to be funny is actually painful. Hugh Jackman, the hunkiest man of the year, does good workmanlike acting, but if he's half as intelligent as he appears to be he must be hugely embarrassed by this one. It's totally racist! The Abo's should be leading a boycott for their portrayal as "the magical natives" who practically worship certain white people as if they were gods. Bleeah!)

10,000 BC. (Giant carnivorous chicken chicklings in the tall pampas, think of velicoraptors but they're featherless hatchlings fifteen feet tall. Neolithic hunters taking on a Bronze Age evil civilization [Think Apocalypto but even stupider and without Mel's patent sado-masochist ultra violence.] mixed up with tribal people from the last few centuries. Ahistoric, confusing, insulting pap. And I wrote this after seeing it back in March!)
    Last edited by "Mad" Miles; 01-11-2009 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Forgot the Best of the Most Recent!