Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    westcountyvintage

west county vintage closing in sebastopol

looks like it's time to pack it in after 8 yrs here in sebastopol, the new location that everyone digs and has been so supportive of just can't cut it during this g.w. bush swindle of the country, heck the planet really! anyway as many of you know my wife has breast cancer discovered recently and it just seems to be a good time to stay home and nurture each other, thanks to all for prayers and get better vibes, awesome help you all! as a vintage dealer i will continue to have my hand in, paying top dollar like always, suppling my world wide contacts and doing vintage fashion shows around the bay area. please check yellow pages or hopefully a new web sight, ashley's west county vintage. prosperity to all, lots of love and hugs! and thank you all so much! mark ashley and wendy weiss, 851 gravenstein hwy south great deals and discounts thru dec 28th last day 823-5048
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Ratfink

Re: west county vintage closing in sebastopol

Quote Posted in reply to the post by westcountyvintage: View Post
    looks like it's time to pack it in after 8 yrs here in sebastopol, the new location that everyone digs and has been so supportive of just can't cut it during this g.w. bush swindle of the country, heck the planet really! anyway as many of you know my wife has breast cancer discovered recently and it just seems to be a good time to stay home and nurture each other, thanks to all for prayers and get better vibes, awesome help you all! as a vintage dealer i will continue to have my hand in, paying top dollar like always, suppling my world wide contacts and doing vintage fashion shows around the bay area. please check yellow pages or hopefully a new web sight, ashley's west county vintage. prosperity to all, lots of love and hugs! and thank you all so much! mark ashley and wendy weiss, 851 gravenstein hwy south great deals and discounts thru dec 28th last day 823-5048

I just went Christmas shopping for clothes for my nieces and nephews. We shopped at the Mall, Target, Costco, and finished up at the Petaluma Outlets.
    There was so many people out shopping that parking and driving around was very difficult. Please don't cop out and blame George Bush for your failed Business Plan. There is a very small market for vintage fashion and competition for the almighty buck is great.

3. TopTop #3
    Photoguy

Nurturing your loved one/ones at this time sounds like the right thing to do. Feel free to blame GW Destroyer Bush for the current state of things. Ratfink obviously knows how to buy new stuff but obviously has none of the "Christmas Spirit" of good will towards men. Good luck with the coming year and in all things.

4. TopTop #4
    Veeja

Ratfink
    are you for real? was that reply a joke or what? you are so insensitive. when I read your reply my mouth hit the floor. I couldn't believe it. I wish you lots of luck and hope the economy doesn't effect you in any way. after this comment you can never use the economy as a reason. I am making gifts this year and am finding it more fulfilling then shopping at these big stores. When I am shopping for gifts or going out to eat, I am supporting my local businesses. Merry Christmas!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Ratfink: View Post
    I just went Christmas shopping for clothes for my nieces and nephews. We shopped at the Mall, Target, Costco, and finished up at the Petaluma Outlets.
    There was so many people out shopping that parking and driving around was very difficult. Please don't cop out and blame George Bush for your failed Business Plan. There is a very small market for vintage fashion and competition for the almighty buck is great.

5. TopTop #5
    nurturetruth
    Co-observing

Actually, there is a very decent market for vintage fashion and quite a number of people who appreciate buying locally and keeping their money out of the big wig corporations.

There are also the type of people who enjoy making sure that the products or clothes they buy and wear on their body are made by employees who were treated fairly, and humanly. (aka: non-sweat shops)
    In other words, making sure the clothes/products they wear on their bodies are not made by companies that encourage/enable child slavery or harsh working conditions.

But we are all different with how we utilize our conscious ,priorities and money.

One thing holds true . Our economy IS one to be concerned about regardless of the reason or who or what is to blame.
    More and more businesses are rethinking their business plan or are closing their doors. More people are loosing their long held jobs, homes or investments and unfortunately, cancer has been on the rise and has hit home for quite a number of people. Even in our Wacco Community. And in the past, even me.

For those that can , know how to and desire to show compassion.....
    "now" is the time and thank you for doing so!

*To Mark and his wife: u are in my thoughts , prayers and rituals.

Last edited by nurturetruth; 12-24-2008 at 10:06 PM.

6. TopTop #6
    Lisa W

GWB & Co. have alot to do with many failed entrepreneurships, but they didn't start the problem, just perpetuated and amplified it. This gov't is just a ruling corporate entity, I don't even want to get started but oops, I did.

Anyway, Ratfink, yours was a less than compassionate response given the information regarding his wife with breast cancer. Not even a happy holiday. If I were to never see another Target, Costco and so on again, I would live happier ever after.

Happy Holidays to you & yours, Lisa

7. TopTop #7
    Lisa W

Wishing you well on the next path of your life, and strength to your wife. There are alot of us survivors out there, so keep the hope strong.

I got a beautiful garment from your shop and am glad someone is out there passing cool clothing around, that wasn't made in a Bangladesh or Nepalese sweat shop.

Best wishes & Warm Holidays to you, Lisa W.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by westcountyvintage: View Post

8. TopTop #8
    Dixon

Please don't cop out and blame George Bush for your failed Business Plan.
    Well of course, blaming any one factor would likely be a case of the fallacy known as "hasty monism". But the funneling of money from the middle class (and, to some degree, from the poor) into the grasping claws of the filthy rich, which accelerated with the advent of the Reagan era, has been a virtual orgy of money-grubbing under Bush. Privatization, deregulation, un-taxing the rich, bailouts, cutting social services--all these and more make it reasonable to assume that Bush and co. are largely responsible for the downsizing or closing of many small businesses.

Dixon

9. TopTop #9
    ChristineL

Doing well for eight years is not exactly a failed business plan. Hopefully, you're not as lacking in compassion in front of your nieces and nephews as it may be more important for them to be exposed to those qualities than receive gifts sold by people who do not make a living wage and mostly made in a country that has destroyed its own environment and poisoned babies in order to keep up with the demands of Walmart. (Sorry, a little oversimplified.)

Making a generalization that the business plan is bad because there is a very small market for vintage clothing is not valid. Amongst your family and people you socialize with, maybe. For those of us who like to express our individuality in the way we dress and wear high quality clothing, there is a market. There are a lot more of us than you think. Most of my clothing is made from high quality fabric, has a made in USA label, fits wonderfully and will still, with good care, be able to be sold again should I get tired of it, or it become too big. Most of the clothing sold in Walmart will be adding to the landfills within a year or two of being bought.

The only clothes I own that did not come from a Vintage Clothing or Thrift store (where a lot of vintage clothing also ends up) are underwear, sleep-wear and things that I, or others, have made for me. That's how I own shoes that retail for $200.00, handbags that carry names such as Coach and Dooney & Bourke, etc. Some of it has never been worn or used, most of it has seen very little use or wear prior to my buying it. Check out EBay, you may get an idea how large the market for Vintage clothing actually is.

Bush is bailing out the car companies, the ones who stopped manufacturing the electric car (remember the EV1) and destroyed thousands of existing cars in the 90's. Had they not done that, they would not need a bail-out now. Is that good business planning? How about all the finance companies we're bailing out, good business planning? Since the rest of us are left to our own devices and holding the bag for all these bail-outs, I'm comfortable laying some of the blame at their door step.

Last edited by ChristineL; 12-25-2008 at 11:17 PM.

10. TopTop #10
    Ratfink

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Christine: View Post

The only clothes I own that did not come from a Vintage Clothing or Thrift store (where a lot of vintage clothing also ends up) are underwear, sleep-wear and things that I, or others, have made for me. That's how I own shoes that retail for $200.00, handbags that carry names such as Coach and Dooney & Bourke, etc. Some of it has never been worn or used, most of it has seen very little use or wear prior to my buying it. Check out EBay, you may get an idea how large the market for Vintage clothing actually is.

I have friends that go down to the Petaluma Outlets and buy up the Coach handbags and then sell them to you on e-bay That doesn't make it Vintage.
    Last edited by Barry; 12-27-2008 at 06:12 PM.

11. TopTop #11
    ChristineL

No, that doesn't, and your friends are not selling them to me, they'd be looking for a lot more money than I have ever paid. The Coach and Dooney & Bourke bags I own are Vintage. Try looking at "Vintage" on EBay. Dooney & Bourke long ago stopped making the bags I own. Anyway, very little of my clothes and accessories came from EBay. My favorite Coach hand-bag, that was in brand new condition, cost me $10.00 at Good Will. It is Vintage.

The point was, you were generalizing about a line of business you apparently know nothing about in order to put down a small business owner for having to close in a bad economy largely brought about by an administration that has put the burden of saving large badly run businesses on the middle class and small businesses; and had no compassion for his situation. I'll say it again, eight successful years is not poor planning. Insisting on continued over-production of large gas guzzling vehicles while doing very little in terms of producing fuel efficient and alternate ones, that's bad business planning. In my opinion, patronizing stores like Walmart thus aiding their spread is bad community planning. They may provide jobs, but those jobs lower the standard of living. The spread of Walmarts also kills small businesses and town centers. Coffee Bazaar in Guerneville is a lot more pleasant to hang out and have a cup of coffee in than McDonald's in Walmart. Not to mention that the coffee is better and I actually know and like the owners who are a true asset to our community.

By your logic, the financial institutions and car companies should not be looking for a bail-out for their bad business planning. The Vintage store is not looking for a bail-out. He also will definitely not be leaving with a "golden parachute" paid for by taxpayers. Anyway, the present administration couldn't care less about the small business owner.

Oh, and one more point, maybe on Christmas Eve all the stores you went to were crowded. When I was in Rohnert Park a week before Christmas, I went to Pet-Smart and the shopping center containing that store, Target, Burlington Coat Factory, etc...it was near deserted.

I have friends that go down to the Petaluma Outlets and buy up the Coach handbags and then sell them to you on e-bay That doesn't make it Vintage.
    Last edited by Barry; 12-27-2008 at 06:13 PM.

12. TopTop #12
    Veeja

I think we should not pay any attention to Ratfinks post. We should feel sorry for him and hope that maybe someday he won't feel so sad, lonely,angry about who he has become in life. Ratfink! It's not to late to change your life. Be a nicer person and maybe you will find friends. If you were happy with your family you would not waist time around the holidays trying to make others feel bad. I just feel sorry for you! Good luck! I hope your life gets better!

Last edited by Barry; 12-27-2008 at 06:13 PM.

13. TopTop #13
    wildflower

In my opinion Ratfink needs to learn to buy local instead of "greenhouse gassing" around supporting the corporations that are destroying the planet of his "loved ones"....

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Photoguy: View Post
    Nurturing your loved one/ones at this time sounds like the right thing to do. Feel free to blame GW Destroyer Bush for the current state of things. Ratfink obviously knows how to buy new stuff but obviously has none of the "Christmas Spirit" of good will towards men. Good luck with the coming year and in all things.