Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    smithers

Seeking Small Spiritual Community

Hi,

I've never been much of a joiner. During my life, I've joined only two spiritual communities. The first is a 12-step program based upon AA. The other was the Unitarian-Universalist Congregation of Santa Rosa. The latter did not work out very well for me. I ended up feeling like I was not and never would be good enough. Some of the reasons are of my own creation, but not all. At this point, it is of no import. I won't be going back. I still feel like a UU and hold many of their values dear, but need a smaller community that will encourage my spiritual growth. I'm interested in Buddhism. Much of my own growth has been in working towards being present. I have a difficult time with much of the terminology, but am willing to work through discomfort in order to grow. I am a 44-year-old male, currently going to SRJC and living in Santa Rosa. I am, as the title says, seeking a small spiritual community, buddhist to be specific. Please contact me if you have personal involvement in a community that would consider inviting me, or have someone you know who is involved contact me. My travel is pretty limitted to Santa Rosa, unless someone is willing to rideshare.

Thanks,
    John S
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    yeshegirl108

Re: Seeking Small Spiritual Community

Hi John

I saw your post. I live in Santa Rosa, am Buddhist and would be happy to talk wiht you about our group and practice. We have a retreat center in Leggett in Mendocino County - see www.gomdeusa.org. I know of many other groups/practices in the area too that I could tell you about. There is the local Shambhala Center in Santa Rosa, located on Davis Street too. Similar Tibetan Buddhist group to mine. You can contact me through [email protected] - I check it weekly.

In the Dharma...Joanne

3. TopTop #3
    Hot Compost

Re: Seeking Small Spiritual Community

Quote Posted in reply to the post by smithers: View Post
    Hi,

I've never been much of a joiner. During my life, I've joined only two spiritual communities. The first is a 12-step program based upon AA. The other was the Unitarian-Universalist Congregation of Santa Rosa. The latter did not work out very well for me. I ended up feeling like I was not and never would be good enough. Some of the reasons are of my own creation, but not all.
    i went to UU services twice. i don't understand the part about not being good enough, in relation to UU.

(general feelings of inferiority i understand quite well ! )

there's a Buddhist meditation group that meets in the building on Davis in Santa Rosa, just West of Highway 101.

https://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=S...s=Davis+Street

i think that's the same one _yeshegirl108_ mentioned. i went to that building for a yoga class about 10 AM on a Sunday, & noticed there were some other interesting things in the building.

the building is near 'Dot #10' in that map.