Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Braggi

Latest on vitamin supplements

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Tars

Re: Latest on vitamin supplements

Seems it's like my preferred medical information source. Dr. Dean Edell says, "Go ahead & take vitamins. Although for the otherwise-healthy they haven't been proven to have significant advantages, in normal dosages they aren't hurtful. The better route is to try to get your vitamins from the foods in which they naturally occur."

I thought of forwarding your link to my wife, who keeps a cabinet full of supplements, takes handfulls of pills daily, and seems to read every new food additive book that comes out. But I don't really want to try to dissuade her - she apparently gets satisfaction from the process, so...more power to her!

3. TopTop #3
    Sylph

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Tars: View Post
    Seems it's like my preferred medical information source. Dr. Dean Edell says, "Go ahead & take vitamins. Although for the otherwise-healthy they haven't been proven to have significant advantages, in normal dosages they aren't hurtful. The better route is to try to get your vitamins from the foods in which they naturally occur."

I thought of forwarding your link to my wife, who keeps a cabinet full of supplements, takes handfulls of pills daily, and seems to read every new food additive book that comes out. But I don't really want to try to dissuade her - she apparently gets satisfaction from the process, so...more power to her!
    Every study that comes out (large numbers of people taking vit C, B, E, selenium, etc, for a lengthy period of time) is telling us that many vitamins have no effect or a deleterious effect on heart disease, cancer, etc. Tars is right-on, nutrients were meant to be packaged within fruits and vegetables. I have a theory that taking anti-oxidants, apart from food, has a counter-intuitive negative effect by somehow short-circuiting our own body's anti-oxidant process. If anyone can find something about this possibility, please post it.

On the other hand, 30% of people get a powerful effect from placebos...e.g. increased endorphin production, so your wife probably does feel great after taking her supplements!

Dr. Edell: 1 PM, KGO 8100 AM, every week day!

4. TopTop #4
    Tars

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sylph: View Post
    On the other hand, 30% of people get a powerful effect from placebos...e.g. increased endorphin production, so your wife probably does feel great after taking her supplements!
    Puts me in mind of a nice doctor I had back in the '70's. Every office visit, just before ending the visit he'd give me a shot of something, I believe he said it was B-12. For a couple of hours after that, I'd be whistling Zip-A-Dee-Doo-dah...

5. TopTop #5
    Sylph

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Tars: View Post
    Puts me in mind of a nice doctor I had back in the '70's. Every office visit, just before ending the visit he'd give me a shot of something, I believe he said it was B-12. For a couple of hours after that, I'd be whistling Zip-A-Dee-Doo-dah...
    Vitamin B-12 is bright red and looks very impressive in the syringe. I'm sure, it charged you right up!
    It's not a bad thing to be susceptible to placebos. It's like bio-feedback. You control your own body:
    https://www.salon.com/env/mind_reader/2008/08/01/placebo_effect/index.html
    https://www.salon.com/env/mind_reade...ct/index1.html