Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Sabrina

Oldest Marijuana Stash Found in Gobi Desert

Very interesting Ancient Marijuana stash found in ancient grave in Gobi Desert:

https://dsc.discovery.com/news/slide...ana-stash.html
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    MsTerry

Re: Oldest Marijuana Stash Found in Gobi Desert

Is this what they used to do with potheads?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sabrina: View Post
    Very interesting Ancient Marijuana stash found in ancient grave in Gobi Desert:

https://dsc.discovery.com/news/slide...ana-stash.html

3. TopTop #3
    Tars

Quote Posted in reply to the post by MsTerry: View Post
    Is this what they used to do with potheads?
    You mean revering them enough to bury stash and tools to aid their afterlife journey? Apparently so. And apparently, it was good to be a shaman, but perhaps not so good to be a shaman's sister or wife.

4. TopTop #4
    MsTerry

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Tars: View Post
    You mean revering them enough to bury stash and tools to aid their afterlife journey? Apparently so..
    Well, I'm not so sure about that. To give a man his stash, but no pipe to smoke it in, feels a little cruel to me.
    Bows and arrows to defend the stash might indicate that in fact he was a dealer rather than a healer.
    Quote And apparently, it was good to be a shaman, but perhaps not so good to be a shaman's sister or wife
    I am not sure what you are alluding to with this?

5. TopTop #5
    Lorrie

Well, I'm not so sure about that. To give a man his stash, but no pipe to smoke it in, feels a little cruel to me.
    How do you know he didn't "roll his own" and that (whatever he rolled it in) didn't disinegrate long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long,long, long, long, long, long, long,long, long, long, long, long, long+...ago.

6. TopTop #6
    Sylph

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Lorrie: View Post
    How do you know he didn't "roll his own" and that (whatever he rolled it in) didn't disinegrate long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long,long, long, long, long, long, long,long, long, long, long, long, long+...ago.
    I guess the papers, or leaves, used for rolling might have disinegrated in a few thousand years....
    Another question. How do 'they' know he had blue eyes? Did they find his driver's license?

7. TopTop #7
    Braggi

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sylph: View Post
    I guess the papers, or leaves, used for rolling might have disinegrated in a few thousand years....
    Another question. How do 'they' know he had blue eyes? Did they find his driver's license?
    Yup. Along with his doctor's recommendation he smoke pot for his glaucoma.

-Jeff

PS. Seriously now. Genetic testing, perhaps? They tested the plant matter.

8. TopTop #8
    MsTerry

If his stash was in a ziploc, why wouldn't his papers be right there too?
    Quote Another question. How do 'they' know he had blue eyes? Did they find his driver's license?
    Everybody had blue eyes in those days, including Jesus

9. TopTop #9
    Braggi

... Everybody had blue eyes in those days, including Jesus
    Which, of course, is proven by all those pictures I've seen of him, mostly photos taken in the Middle Ages. Did they have digital cameras in those days? Or PhotoShop?

-Jeff
    Last edited by Braggi; 12-10-2008 at 10:22 AM.

10. TopTop #10
    Sylph

If his stash was in a ziploc, why wouldn't his papers be right there too?

Everybody had blue eyes in those days, including Jesus
    This tribe of people were known to have blonde hair and blue eyes, so maybe they were just making an assumption here. I didn't read anything about DNA tests on the guy.
    They tried to germinate the pot seeds they found with no luck, alas.

11. TopTop #11
    Photoguy

Is it possible that 1 or more of the researchers are from Sonoma county? Imagine it's late at night, you and a coworker are walking around the research site relaxing after a hard day of digging up dead people, a local constable approaches, "quick hide your stash", you hide it in 1 of the holes you dug earlier and quickly return to camp. Morning comes, someone else beets you to the site before you can recover the goods - the rest is questionable history. In the photos the bud looks awful sticky to be thousands of years old.

12. TopTop #12
    Sabrina

I agree. They said it was no longer potent, but also there were those little red globular dots in the green, wasn't that like resin? Good possibility your on to something there. Keep on truckin'!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Photoguy: View Post

Is it possible that 1 or more of the researchers are from Sonoma county? Imagine it's late at night, you and a coworker are walking around the research site relaxing after a hard day of digging up dead people, a local constable approaches, "quick hide your stash", you hide it in 1 of the holes you dug earlier and quickly return to camp. Morning comes, someone else beets you to the site before you can recover the goods - the rest is questionable history. In the photos the bud looks awful sticky to be thousands of years old.

13. TopTop #13
    Tars

Ahem...well, one of those potheads told me that THC is most efficiently delivered to the bloodstream, when it is ingested orally.

Quote I am not sure what you are alluding to with this?
    Following the link brings a photo gallery of the shaman's grave. One frame has a "map" of the remains, accompanied by a list of the items. One entry says,"The skull and bones at his feet may belong to a sibling". That's possible, as he would have needed a female to cook, sew, etc. for him during his journey in the afterlife. If he was single, perhaps his sister was sent along; if he had a mate, perhaps she was the lucky chosen.

14. TopTop #14
    Tars

They tried to germinate the pot seeds they found with no luck, alas.
    I'd imagine it was closer to the hemp than what's commonly available these days anyway. Numerous grad students, working on fancy botany thesese, have been selectively improving the THC production in marijuana for several decades now. They need to pay that hefty tuition after all.

If the shaman ingested some of today's pot (assuming time travel becomes possible at some point in the near future), then they may have accidentally buried him alive, thinking he was dead, when in fact he was just mightily zonked.

15. TopTop #15
    Photoguy

I just re-looked at the close up of that shaman's pot, there is 100% 0 chance that stuff is 2700 years old unless some sort of miracle happened. It was buried in the desert it would have been fully dessicated, never mind that the chlorophyll making it green would have have decayed. I am no plant scientist so I might be wrong, but I doubt it.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sabrina: View Post
    I agree. They said it was no longer potent, but also there were those little red globular dots in the green, wasn't that like resin? Good possibility your on to something there. Keep on truckin'!

16. TopTop #16
    Sylph

I just re-looked at the close up of that shaman's pot, there is 100% 0 chance that stuff is 2700 years old unless some sort of miracle happened. It was buried in the desert it would have been fully dessicated, never mind that the chlorophyll making it green would have have decayed. I am no plant scientist so I might be wrong, but I doubt it.
    I love your theory that the scientists had to hurry and hide their stash!

But, the stuff was radiocarbon dated at 2700 yrs old. One thing, it didn't have an odor at all. All the volatile compounds had degraded. It was high in 'degradents' of THC, which would take a long time to happen. It didn't contain enough of the active ingredient, (allegedly) to make anyone high anymore. It's still a mystery how they smoked or ingested it. It was surely used for altering consciousness, as it was selected for the THC content. Interestingly, no hemp artifacts were found in the graves in that area...they used wool for clothes and reeds for rope. The Gobi is very dry and the grave was very deep. That's how this pot was so amazingly well preserved.

https://jxb.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/c...ull/59/15/4171

17. TopTop #17
    Nemea Laessig

I think this is the most forwarded and commented story by a long shot in recent years!

As to how they ingested it, I read in another article about this that it is possible that shamans (and anyone who happened to be around) would get high by throwing large quantities of the stuff on a fire and breathing the smoke.

"The ancient Greek historian Herodotus relates how the Scythians, Iranian-speaking nomads who roamed the steppes to the west of the Yuezhi in the first millennium B.C., liked to throw marijuana onto bonfires to induce trancelike states. It's possible the buried shaman followed similar practices."

https://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,460425,00.html

~Nemea

18. TopTop #18
    Lorrie

I have an idea

Anybody have the YOUNGEST Marijuana Stash found in whereever?

I would like to do as the shamans.

Lets build a bonfire and "get high by throwing large quantities of the stuff on a fire and breathing the smoke."

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Nemea Laessig: View Post
    As to how they ingested it, I read in another article about this that it is possible that shamans (and anyone who happened to be around) would get high by throwing large quantities of the stuff on a fire and breathing the smoke.
    ~Nemea

19. TopTop #19
    Tars

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Lorrie: View Post
    Lets build a bonfire and "get high by throwing large quantities of the stuff on a fire and breathing the smoke."
    I'm thinking that the rate of volunteering by law enforcement officers, for C.A.M.P. and other eradication programs is fairly high (no pun immediately intended). I would also expect that, despite wearing masks, marijuana smoke somehow finds its way into their lungs.

"Cops have the best dope" - drug culture saying.

20. TopTop #20
    Hot Compost

I have a walking stick cabbage (large plant that looks like a fig plant, about 5 feet tall) and a few brussels sprouts left outdoor in the cold, both of which I'm still harvesting leaves off of. I put the leaves next to the kitchen sink with some late season tomatoes. I'm surprised at how quickly the leaves lose their chlorophyll, after a week they are yellow.

Those leaves in the picture are green as could be, like a Photoshop RGB setting of "00ff00".

I don't know, it doesn't seem like a hoax. The scientists are acting like it's a scientific find and almost seem kind of psyched about it, like "whoa, look what we found".

I would have to ask a life sciences person, under what condition is chlorophyll preserved for 2700 years.

21. TopTop #21
    Catfish

If you want to learn more about this recent discovery, the link below has all you could possibly want to know...and much more.

https://jxb.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/c...ull/59/15/4171

Garrett

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Hot Compost: View Post
    I have a walking stick cabbage (large plant that looks like a fig plant, about 5 feet tall) and a few brussels sprouts left outdoor in the cold, both of which I'm still harvesting leaves off of. I put the leaves next to the kitchen sink with some late season tomatoes. I'm surprised at how quickly the leaves lose their chlorophyll, after a week they are yellow.

Those leaves in the picture are green as could be, like a Photoshop RGB setting of "00ff00".

I don't know, it doesn't seem like a hoax. The scientists are acting like it's a scientific find and almost seem kind of psyched about it, like "whoa, look what we found".

I would have to ask a life sciences person, under what condition is chlorophyll preserved for 2700 years.