Hot topics: Ethics Supreme Court Congress Intelligence Health Care

In Desperation, Gonzales Smears Gore

Here’s Attorney General Alberto Gonzales on the Larry King Live show last night:

I would say that with respect to comments by the former vice president it’s my understanding that during the Clinton administration there was activity regarding the physical searches without warrants, Aldrich Ames as an example.

I can also say that it’s my understanding that the deputy attorney general testified before Congress that the president does have the inherent authority under the Constitution to engage in physical searches without a warrant and so those would certainly seem to be inconsistent with what the former vice president was saying today.
The issue with the Bush’s warrantless domestic wiretapping program is that it violates a federal criminal law, the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act. Despite what Gonzales is implying, the Clinton administration never violated FISA and never claimed they could violate FISA. Here’s why:

1. Prior to 1995, FISA did not cover physical searches. (With Clinton’s signature, the law was expanded to cover physical searches in 1995.) The search of Aldrich Ames home occurred in 1993. It did not violate FISA.

2. Deputy Attorney General Jamie Gorelick testified in 1994 that the President could conduct warrantless physical searches, before FISA required physical searches to be conducted pursuant to a warrant. Gorelick was arguing that the President could conduct warrantless physical searches in the absence of Congressional action. At no time did she suggest that, after Congress required the President to obtain a warrant, the executive branch could ignore the law, nor is there any evidence the Clinton administration failed to comply with FISA.
The fact that the Attorney General of the United States is resorting to such obvious deception shows that they have no real answers. The administration is getting desperate and grasping at straws.

The White House joins in the smear:

McClellan said the Clinton-Gore administration had engaged in warrantless physical searches, and he cited an FBI search of the home of CIA turncoat Aldrich Ames without permission from a judge. He said Clinton’s deputy attorney general, Jamie Gorelick, had testified before Congress that the president had the inherent authority to engage in physical searches without warrants.

“I think his hypocrisy knows no bounds,” McClellan said of Gore.
Filed under: Intelligence, Ethics

Posted by Judd January 17, 2006 8:36 am

Permalink | Comment (151)

151 Comments »

The URI to TrackBack this entry is:
https://thinkprogress.org/ 2006/ 01/ 17/ gonzales-smears-gore/ trackback/

1. Gonzales’ is lying but he uses the modifier “it is my understanding” as a way to distance himself from his own statements once they are debunked.

Comment by The Ringmaster — January 17, 2006 @ 8:40 am
  2. Don’t forget a year later, Congress — with Clinton’s support — amended FISA to require court orders for physical searches.

Comment by Desi — January 17, 2006 @ 8:45 am
  3. Yes, but Gonzales’ understanding has always been meager. Wasn’t this the person who thought up ways the U.S. could torture people without breaking the law?

Comment by Skeptic — January 17, 2006 @ 8:46 am
  4. ” Its my understanding ” that these crimnes are punishable by death by torture.

” Its my understanding ” that Bush better not let the congress turn into a Democratic Majority this fall or HE’LL be rendered slowly at a dark site ”

” Its my understanding that America use to be a great county until these assholes destroyed it. “

Comment by red — January 17, 2006 @ 8:47 am
  5. When you’re finished changing, you’re finished.

-Franklin

(from Kos)

Comment by Delay the Alito Vote — January 17, 2006 @ 8:48 am
  6. Wasn’t this the person who thought up ways the U.S. could torture people without breaking the law?

Comment by Skeptic — January 17, 2006 @ 8:46 am

Seems he still is… just in reverse - breaking the law without torturing people… until he can find a way to do both simultaneously.

Comment by unbelievable — January 17, 2006 @ 8:52 am
  7. These are dangerous sorts - these men of the White House. Beware lest they talk us into taking care of our every need from cradle to grave.
    -Kevo (oh, and vote the rascals out in ‘06 and ‘08)

Comment by kevo — January 17, 2006 @ 8:52 am
  8. Chris Matthews had Kenneth Bass,who helped write the FISA law, on Hardball last night.Bass’ answers were revealing when compared to AG the AG. Bass:There are always provisions built into the FISA to try and deal with the horribles,the hypotheticals…The problem is it has gone on for 4 years…without knowing the details and without being in a position to assess its reasonableness.”
    Matthews:”Who draws the line?”
    Bass: “That’s why we had the FISA court in the first place.The court was going to supervise where the executive drew the line.”
    Matthews:”What about..data minig..?”
    Bass:”No,that’s not really a new technology. The same thing was happening at the time FISA was passed with a different form of communication….it’s covered through a process of minimizing use of the information.”

Comment by TJM — January 17, 2006 @ 9:03 am
  9. It’s the “say anything” administration. They don’t care about facts or truth.

Comment by ohdave — January 17, 2006 @ 9:14 am
  10. […] Read more Gore […]

Pingback by True Blue Liberal » In Desperation, Gonzales Smears Gore — January 17, 2006 @ 9:14 am
  11. This is to be expected from another of junior’s cronies.

Comment by Keith H. — January 17, 2006 @ 9:15 am
  12. #11 - Exactly. When you cannot successfully argue against the charges themselves, attack the messenger and ’spin’ like a dervish.

Comment by Democrat Soldier — January 17, 2006 @ 9:18 am
  13. It is my understanding that everyone associated with the bush administration is a liar.

IMPEACH.

As the Republicans always said, it is about the lie and the rule of law.

IMPEACH!

Comment by Better Dead than Red...state — January 17, 2006 @ 9:23 am
  14. Well at least we have seen what the talking points of the wingnutts will be today/tonight. Clinton did it.

Comment by Joefriday — January 17, 2006 @ 9:26 am
  15. gonzo the pet chimp was also on faux news with hannity last night.hannity was pitching softballs soo soft they had fur on them.
    said pretty much the same thing. doing his pet tricks for bushco.

Comment by thot's — January 17, 2006 @ 9:26 am
  16. Gonzales smears Gore. Good one, but it’s Gore who’s smeared Republicans as digital brownshirts.

It looks as if Hillary and Gore are both vying for the moonbat left support. That works well until you get to the general election.

Comment by Tetra King — January 17, 2006 @ 9:29 am
  17. Gonzales smears Gore. Good one, but it’s Gore who’s smeared Republicans as digital brownshirts.

It’s not a smear if it’s true, chucklehead.

Comment by Gary Kleppe — January 17, 2006 @ 9:32 am
  18. This is indicative of the reason why Congress should heed the advice of Al Gore and appoint an independent body to investigate the domestic spying that Bush has freely admitted has been done upon Americans. To have Gonzales in charge of this is a classic case of the fox guarding the henhouse.

Comment by Erroll — January 17, 2006 @ 9:33 am
  19. So Gonzo is saying that everything Bill C did is legal. When’s W going to get his blow job on the White House lawn?

Comment by WaltTheMan — January 17, 2006 @ 9:34 am
  20. Alberto would be using #10 from the Republican playbook. See the whole list of ways to suppress the truth and ignore the facts
    “Twenty-Five Ways To Suppress Truth: The Rules of Disinformation (Includes The 8 Traits of A Disinformationalist)”

Comment by Impeach Bush — January 17, 2006 @ 9:35 am
  21. Bass:”No,that’s not really a new technology. The same thing was happening at the time FISA was passed with a different form of communication….it’s covered through a process of minimizing use of the information.”

Comment by TJM — January 17, 2006 @ 9:03 am

Yes, but the process of minimisation got reamed by Ashcroft until you could drive a mack truck through the loopholes.

Set the wayback machine for 2002 and start looking through the information on FISA and minimisation. This PDF of the FISCR opinion is one of the most disturbing reads given the reasonable leeway given by the FISC in the original opinion.

Comment by Tom - Daai Tou Laam — January 17, 2006 @ 9:43 am
  22. Unless the MSM personnel step up and challenge these distortions and lies the GOP criminals will succeed in getting it into the public mind that every administration wants to do thing their way.

Press the MSM to challenge the lies.

Comment by EasyRider — January 17, 2006 @ 9:43 am
  23. The Lil’ Meskin’s about to find out what it really means to be a gringo stooge. Try ‘em. Hang ‘em.

Comment by Gus the Loving OBGYN — January 17, 2006 @ 9:43 am
  24. I’m beginning to like Fox News, wait, dont attack me yet! In watchin the news this am, Fox is almost the only one really covering Gores speech, and you can tell it has them worried. This is a good thing. To see the way they are tying swear Gore, and Clinton to, only serves us.People do see what is going on, they are aware that if Fox is worried, then it follows the Bush is to. Go Fox. :snicker;

Comment by CrankyOne — January 17, 2006 @ 9:45 am
  25. Did anyone expect anything less from this creep? Rule #1: when there’s no factual defense attack Clinton - it always comes back to Clinton. What a powerful person he was, huh - just amazing the power he continues to wield 5 years after he leaves office. It’s such a childish argument as well - “well, Billy did it too….waaaaaaaaaah”. That doesn’t even work with my kids much less the AG of the United States, for God’s sake. They know they’re on shaky ground and they have no defense.

#16, TP and people commenting here have refuted what Gonzalez said last nite with FACTS. All you can do is slander and insult. Where are the FACTS to back up Gonzalez’s statements? You don’t have any…that’s why we can dismiss what you say out of hand. Oh, and invoking Hillary is getting boring…

Comment by CarolSoprano — January 17, 2006 @ 9:49 am
  26. Dayum…

“If” Clinton is to be blamed for everything that they do, then why not give him a cabinet post!!!

They DO NOT the DEMOCRATIC strategy, but are quick to point the finger and say that they did it in the past…

“If” Clinton did it, and there were legal questions about it the legality of it, then why would you try to duplicate a flawwed process???

Could it be that DUMBYA does not have a clue and in his IGNORANCE stepped beyond his limits and is now looking for a scapegoat in the most successful Presidency ever? Could it be that he does not have ANY confidence in his cronies to step up and defend him on the record HE has created?

Nah, I (DUMBYA) will just blame it on a DEMOCRATIC President 6 years removed. Oh, BTW, Gore would have some knowledge about congressional and executive authority, because he was there and knows a little about FISA!

But, hey, NO ONE EVER accused Gonzales of being an objective Attorney General or keen mind when it comes to law…

Comment by IraqVet — January 17, 2006 @ 9:50 am
  27. Abu Gonzales practices “truthiness.”

Comment by nlacey — January 17, 2006 @ 9:52 am
  28. Gonzales is just a yes-man in an army of yes-men surrounding Bush and protecting him from reality.

They have no idea how thin the ice is that they’re standing on.

Comment by grytpype — January 17, 2006 @ 9:54 am
  29. I want to thank everyone for ignoring our resident trolls.

It really makes reading here so much sweeter.

We all know what assholes out trolls are. Laugh at the fools.

Comment by kindness — January 17, 2006 @ 9:58 am
  30. “So Gonzo is saying that everything Bill C did is legal. When’s W going to get his blow job on the White House lawn?”
    -WaltTheMan

What are you on about frothy? First, I don’t see anything where gonzo is saying anything of the sort. Second, blow jobs, regardless of where they are or where YOU EXAGGERATE them to be, are not necessarily illegal. Obviously in some cases of prostitution it is, but certainly Clinton’s was not.

Comment by Losing Faith — January 17, 2006 @ 9:59 am
  31. gonzo,bonzo and the corporate gang pull strings, and the puppets jump. 06 will be the start of a great house cleaning. Happy Birthday Ben Franklin, we are still reading your advice, and have much work to do.

Comment by wisedup — January 17, 2006 @ 10:00 am
  32. Too bad they don’t try some other things that Clinton did…ie. Balance the budget, have real compasion for the people of this country, Work in a true bipartisan way, Allow oppositing view points and when there are merits apply them, and most of all admit when they are wrong especially when everyonr knows it. If they want to follow Clinton’s lead why don’t they do some actuial good for us.

Comment by Clif — January 17, 2006 @ 10:02 am
  33. Gonzales was on Hannity last night too.
    New WH talking point seems to be that the NSA spying program is only to collect “Foreign Intelligence”.
    Oh and Hannity agrees.
    So glad we cleared that up.

Comment by barig — January 17, 2006 @ 10:06 am
  34. https://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/larry.king.live/

Not that this will help but I’m so sick of the lying and these “news” people doing nothing.

I sent this to Larry King.

Yesterday Al Gore made a historic speech describing the illegal wiretapping of US Citizens by the Bush administration. He made a call for an independent council to investigate. The Attorney General Alberto Gonzalas then came on YOUR show Larry, and lied to you and the American people. He said it was his “understanding” that such “searches” began under the Clinton administration. This is not true but even if it were then both are guilty of Felony wiretapping and should be prosecuted. The truth is that the FISA court was aware and approved of the actions Clinton took. Ask them. Then ask them about Bush’s wiretapping. That’s what you need to do if your show is to be believed at all. That’s your job. Not he said she said. You need to make that clear to your viewers what has actually happened here otherwise it would appear that lying to the American public is acceptable as long as you get access to these White House operatives. They use you and you use them and the Citizens of this country lose their freedom.

Comment by mparker — January 17, 2006 @ 10:07 am
  35. It’s clear that Gonzales was being less than honest. I think that Bush’s action are indefensible in the face of FISA and the Fourth Amendment:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
    Notice that there is no clause the reads “except when the President feels a need to do so to fulfil his role as commander in chief.”

I’m a bit troubled, however, that Gorelick appeared to be ignoring the warrant requirement when she made her 1994 argument. She was accurate in regard to FISA, but weak in regard to the Constitution. Are there additional details that would shed light on this?

Comment by Bigbee — January 17, 2006 @ 10:08 am
  36. The Bush admin is trying to disguise and mislead the public. By throwing up this smokescreen of “Well, Clinton did it too” they are trying to confuse the typical dumbass who pays more attention to the latest episode of Desperate Housewives than to the criminal activities of his own government.

The fact that the MSM never challenges these guys on the bullshit they spout only serves to reinforces their bullshit points. America is collapsing into dictatorship, and it’s all been aided and abetted by the MSM.

Comment by Jennty — January 17, 2006 @ 10:10 am
  37. I think now we know why Gonzales was never on the shortlist for a SCOTUS nomination.

Bush has known since Oct 04 that the NYT knew about the domestic spying program, and Gonzales is up to his ears in the thing.

I was screaming at the teevee when I saw this scumbag spewing his lies without any correction — thanks for following up — maybe some of our media elites will start paying attention to those pesky facts instead of relying on Bushian truthiness.

Comment by wtfwjd? — January 17, 2006 @ 10:19 am
  38. abu gonzo…..

said the geneva conventions are “quaint” eh?

he would say anything he is told to say and find some crazy ass excuse of law twisting to support it….

which is why he was given that job….

ashcroft was troubled and wouldn’t sign off on the illegal spying and was replaced, eh?

time to wake up and call your reps and senators……

or the usa will continue to go the way of a fascist state…..and soon it will be too late to stand up……

they came for the gays and i said nothing

they came for the dissenters and i said nothing

they denigrated war vets and i said nothing

they came for me……

Comment by house resolution 635 — January 17, 2006 @ 10:20 am
  39. Hmm… wasn’t Aldrich Ames a SUSPECTED spy at the time the alleged searches were done? That is a long way from wholesale ignorance of the protections of the 4th. As per GOP SOP these guys try to confuse when they can’t convince. BTW Alberto I am ashamed that you are of hispanic descent. You are giving us a bad name.

Comment by bzl — January 17, 2006 @ 10:25 am
  40. Just one of the problems with this administration is they are all dizzy…from the constant spin, spin, spin.

Impeach, Impeach, Impeach!

Comment by Left coast Mike — January 17, 2006 @ 10:27 am
  41. there are two basic questions that, if Gonzo answers them honestly (doubtful), pretty much seal the case against Bush… why go illegal when you can go legal? and, why bug peaceful groups?

more…

https://blogdebogs.blogspot.com/ 2006/ 01/ gonzo-dodges-and-dances.html

Comment by Pete Bogs — January 17, 2006 @ 10:29 am
  42. How ironic. Gonzo goes on the news to fling poo in order to defend the commanded in chimp.

Comment by Andrew — January 17, 2006 @ 10:30 am
  43. […] soon as Congress passed FISA, the administration complied. Permalink| […]

Pingback by Suburban Guerrilla » The Difference — January 17, 2006 @ 10:34 am
  44. I don’t know how long he’s last but I think it’s safe to say AG won’t still be AG in 2008.

Comment by wtfwjd? — January 17, 2006 @ 10:43 am
  45. In what fantasy does anyone in the league of an Al Gonzalez become “desperate” to smear a goofy cartoon like Al Gore?

Comment by I-RIGHT-I — January 17, 2006 @ 10:54 am
  46. One would hope that Attorney General Alberto Gonzales would have a better understanding of federal laws, since that is, you know, his job.

Comment by smileyy — January 17, 2006 @ 11:00 am
  47. That damn GOP Congress 1994-2000 would just let CLINTON get away with ANYTHING!

:-)

Comment by Robert — January 17, 2006 @ 11:01 am
  48. The search was legal when Janet Reno authorised the search to the trators home, they already had much more evidence against him, after the Ames case congress closed that loophole in the law, but that case against one individual who other evidence showed his crime, has little in commom with the Bushco, inc. fishing expedition on many americans rights.

Comment by Clif — January 17, 2006 @ 11:02 am
  49. Just a Reminder
    Year 2000
    Al Gore: 50,999,897
    George Bush: 50,456,002

Comment by Robert — January 17, 2006 @ 11:03 am
  50. […] between Clinton and Bush is that Clinton followed the law; Bush ignores it. Read all about it by linking to ThinkProgress’ piece entitled: In Desperation, Gonzales Smears Gore [link] […]

Pingback by It’s Intuitively Obvious » Blog Archive » AG Gonzales misleads … — January 17, 2006 @ 11:04 am

Fox is showing Gore’s speech to reinforce the reason(s) why he lost the 2000 presidential vote.

Comment by Tracy — January 17, 2006 @ 11:07 am
  52. You all don’t understand .. the law is what bubble-boy says it is because gonzo told him so, and they are doing gods bidding, but we of no faith in bushco,inc. will never understand

Comment by Clif — January 17, 2006 @ 11:09 am
  53. The talking heads won’t really challenge members of the administration, and give only a pretense of doing so to their spokespeople. There are enough outlets that certain people will only have to go to friendly venues (e.g Cheny almost always appears only on Fox) if any ‘push-back’ is encountered from others. Remember how we saw the clips of Cheny denying he’d ever said the Atta in Prague meeting had been pretty well confirmed right next to the clip of him saying it? After that, Fox and Rush are the only places he’d go. I’m not paranoid enough to believe everyone in the main-stream media is in on it, I do believe they are way more deferential out of fear that others will get their access. Once they don’t have to worry about access (whenever that will be) they’ll happily go feeding on the carcass. They never had to worry about finding someone in the Clinton WH to talk to them so they didn’t pull their punches (they also didn’t check their facts and just ran with whatever noise was out there again, not out of any animosity to Clinton in general, I think, just in fear of being scooped.)

There are perfectly sound, (not good, but sound) non-partisan, reasons why the media behave as they do, it’s the access and the competition. These get used by the current administration (and their ideological footsoldiers)in such a way as to make it appear that the Bushies are getting a pass out of favour when it’s really just fear of being shut out. A media that didn’t need access wouldn’t have to fear losing it.

Comment by catalexis — January 17, 2006 @ 11:13 am
  54. My wife’s Hispanic. She hates Gonzales. ‘Nuff said.

Comment by bob the nihilist — January 17, 2006 @ 11:15 am
  55. The AP story leaves this out. Just spews the AG’s bullshit without refutation.

So really I’m beginning to wonder how much it helps for us to jaw about it here. We ALL know he’s full of shit, but the media just parrots.

So Gore is painted as a hypocrite, and the sheeple eat it up with a spoon. Sometimes I think my head will explode, or my heart will break, waiting for the media to start doing its job. How do we stop the repukes from lying when they do it with impunity?

Not even the dems in congress have a clue about refuting this. Dean can’t do it on his own.

Comment by delphine — January 17, 2006 @ 11:16 am
  56. […] UPDATE: Think Progress reports on Alberto Gonzales’ lame attempt to smear Gore on Larry King Monday night. […]

Pingback by Everything Between — January 17, 2006 @ 11:19 am
  57. Wait, so really, I am confused. The assistant attorney general was saying that it was acceptable to conduct a warrentless search since Congress had not mandated that the Executive branch aquire a warrant before conducting a search? Am I mistaken here? I was under the impression that searches required a warrant.??? Is the implication that because Congress did not mandate a warrant, the exeuctive branch was not required to get one? This sounds crazy!

Comment by Quid — January 17, 2006 @ 11:19 am
  58. Congress did mandate a warrent,even in those situation where they come back after the fact and ask for it.
    The warrant must be applied for, by not doing it Bush is, as AL says “breaking the law”

Comment by Clif — January 17, 2006 @ 11:25 am
  59. Calling all cowards:

https://www.dailykos.com/ storyonly/ 2006/ 1/ 17/ 11136/ 2288

Comment by Gus the Loving OBGYN — January 17, 2006 @ 11:27 am
  60. Why do Repugs always try to find a paralell in the Clinton administration? Isn’t that just admitting openly that Bill Clinton set the bar? I find it amusing. And for all their bluster about Christian morals, it looks like relative ethics to me. If Clinton did it, then it’s okay for “W” to do it. Two wrongs make a right? Maybe that’s why they need to post the Ten Commandments everywhere. They can’t remember it themselves.

Comment by tkk — January 17, 2006 @ 11:28 am
  61. I want to get to Mexican side of this - all this time Mexicans have accused “white people” of racism, colonialism yada, yada, yada - even invented the word “Gringo” to go along with thier accusations…of course we know how racist Mexicans are against Black - would even make red necks blush…

And know - what does “Latino empowerment” mean?
    It means: Alberto Gonzales - son of Davy Crockett!!!

So Mexican are offically hippocrites - and full of crap for winning all these years about white people…

I hope the Mexican community can save it’s soul by standing up to their man - son-of-davy-crockett Alberto gonzales…

(at least we can count on white liberals to stand up and be counted!!!)

Comment by Angelo — January 17, 2006 @ 11:28 am
  62. My understanding is that warrantless searches are permissible if the activity is directed at foreign agents in international communications even if on US soil. FISA warrants are required to gather information through wiretap,eavesdropping etc. involving people (citizens,legally entered but not citizens, naturalized citizens etc.) engaged in international communications where a primary purpose is foreign intelligence gathering. Title III warrants are necessary for domestic wiretaps (inter alia) where the pursuit is primarily criminal.
    FISA contains some minimization of the information obtained where the information is not relevant to the investigation.

Comment by TJM — January 17, 2006 @ 11:34 am
  63. The CNN story does the same thing delphine. I’ve e-mailed it asking to correct it. They won’t & I’ll get a computer generated response thanking me for my e-mail.

Comment by kindness — January 17, 2006 @ 11:38 am
  64. And keep in mind that it was the Bush administration who fought tooth and nail for the US to keep control of the Internet’s root servers from the UN.

What do you think will happen when Bush declares Marshall Law?

We won’t be posting here anymore. I highly doubt our Internet connections will work at all.

That is the point when everybody at my work will turn from republican to democrat, but sadly, I think it will be too late.

Comment by SpudgeBoy — January 17, 2006 @ 11:40 am
  65. TJM, our problem with the whole program is that the administration is data mining.

What that means is that they are picking up every signal bounced of a satellite and running it through their program looking for key words or phone #’s. The calls aren’t just to foreign countries. Sometimes a local call will be routed through the satellites because of traffic.

So, bushco was effectivly peeking ate EVERYONE. That’s the problem.

Comment by kindness — January 17, 2006 @ 11:41 am
  66. “In what fantasy does anyone in the league of an Al Gonzalez become “desperate” to smear a goofy cartoon like Al Gore?”
    In the Bush fantasy land you live in idiot.

Comment by SpudgeBoy — January 17, 2006 @ 11:42 am
  67. Gonzales is just a toady fool for Bush and anything he says is just nonsense! Al Gore spoke the TRUTH and that drives the Republicans crazy! Pres. Bush is out-of-control and Gore knows it and has the guts to say so too!

Comment by Jay Randal — January 17, 2006 @ 11:42 am
  68. And alberto smears Gore on TV, meanwhile back at the plantation Alberto snuggles up to his brethren of ring knockers, frightened that he may lose his sparkly things, ignorance in groups thus brings them comfort, to bolster their racist views, to further each others misguided paths. For Men like Alberto cannot stand on their own, their legs spindly and weak, it surely is a fascinating thing that thy legs do not break off and stick into thy ass, leaving Alberto as a Martini Olive.

Comment by neo-gones — January 17, 2006 @ 11:43 am
  69. Just a Reminder
    Year 2000
    Al Gore: 50,999,897
    George Bush: 50,456,002

Comment by Robert

Here’s another reminder; George W. Bush, President of the United States….Al Gore, fat balding barking moonbat who lives in an alternate universe and who invented the internet and ice cream cone..Hahahahahaaaa

Text of Gore Speech at Media Conference
    Oct 06 10:04 AM US/Eastern
    Email this story

By The Associated Press
    NEW YORK

Media conference on Wednesday in New York:

I came here today because I believe that American democracy is in grave danger. It is no longer possible to ignore the strangeness of our public discourse . I know that I am not the only one who feels that something has gone basically and badly wrong in the way America’s fabled “marketplace of ideas” now functions.

How many of you, I wonder, have heard a friend or a family member in the last few years remark that it’s almost as if America has entered “an alternate universe”?

If I were a member of his family I’d probably think so too.

Comment by I-RIGHT-I — January 17, 2006 @ 11:44 am
  70. “My understanding is”

TJM,

Stop being spoon fed and go read the New York Times articles on this illegal wire tapping. There have been several pieces written about it.

Everytime the Bushies come out with another excuse for it, the New York Times comes out with another piece to blast them out of the water.

Comment by SpudgeBoy — January 17, 2006 @ 11:45 am
  71. For thy Democrats and the Republicans have left their roost
    Egos, Talking heads, Fools and despots, sold their country for a porridge pot. Yet be careful thy greedy Goldilocks, though ye dress well, and appear to me pretty in face for the bear has awakened and he hath caught your scent. And thy scent has followed you, and you shant be able to cleanse it from your soul. The things of past come lurching forward seeking those whom have whored their office for the material things. Be careful little people of the House You have become not the leaders but the mouths.

Comment by neo-gones — January 17, 2006 @ 11:50 am
  72. George W. Bush will go down as the Worst President Ever inspite at all the pathetic attempts to apologize for his incompetence. 39% Approval rate and dropping.

Comment by Robert — January 17, 2006 @ 11:52 am
  73. Are they going to lie enough to get elected in 2006? I watched Gore Democrates should get talking like he is. I think a an outsider should look in to matters They shouldn`t be able to do it thierselves that a joke.It seems they have got to much pull. And relieglious groups beieving in them I don`t call wiretapping and getting our troops killed is reliegion.

Comment by Romelee — January 17, 2006 @ 11:52 am
  74. If I were a member of his family I’d probably think so too.

Comment by I-RIGHT-I — January 17, 2006 @ 11:44 am

That lie is as old as the Internet itself IRI and has been thoroughly debunked as every other thing the lie-o-cons have said.

Comment by neo-gones — January 17, 2006 @ 11:53 am
  75. George W. Bush will go down as the Worst President Ever inspite at all the pathetic attempts to apologize for his incompetence. 39% Approval rate and dropping.

Comment by Robert

Even if it’s true and I’m sure it’s a hoax…we are the only 39% who matter.

Comment by I-RIGHT-I — January 17, 2006 @ 11:55 am
  76. IRI= RUDOLPH II, I RUDOLPH I
    IRI. Reich Wing Vril Moon Bats?
    Jacob Boehme
    we know IRI
    and yet you still foolishly try to continue your charade

Comment by neo-gones — January 17, 2006 @ 11:56 am
  77. Even if it’s true and I’m sure it’s a hoax…we are the only 39% who matter.
    Comment by I-RIGHT-I — January 17, 2006 @ 11:55 am

Such is the thoughts of the Delusional Men. Tell me this oh Wise IRI, Mind of Foam, from whence does this matter come? You matter only to yourself and the 39%? hah this is truly funny, do you think that you, and your other 39% would stand a Chance against the 60%, the Herd that Works everyday, that is fit and strong? Do you think thy flabby and weak muscles, pot bellies grown at the lobbyists trough shall save thy wretched?
    Come to my World IRI, and speak those words, I dare thee to come into my Hood, to speak as you do here. You would not.
    And you know why? Tho you speak much here, you are a Scared little man.
    Scared of other men, you huddle in your sickness, depraved, and paranoid. Come to my world IRI speak those words you speak here, call thy Poor man names, call thy Hispanics names, call thy names…Come IRI come to my world and spew your words. Let us see the Brave IRI swallow his words before they leave his mouth, for when you are faced by the Herd, you shant utter a word. Hide you behind your screen saying things
    you cannot willnot back up.

Come to my World IRI. or shall it be brung to you? Are you as Newt to lead the Slave rebellion or do you fear it? Bring thy 39%, bring thy fleather soft sissies you call mem IRI, Speak to us as you do here.

Comment by neo-gones — January 17, 2006 @ 12:05 pm
  78. Bring thy words to the Street oh high and might IRI!
    For we shall always be there.

Comment by neo-gones — January 17, 2006 @ 12:07 pm
  79. Stop your Words IRI. For they are naught and carry no weight. Bring thy body to the streets
    repeat those words you bloviate here
    dare you dare you dare you
    Shall you find friends or shall you make foe
    shall you be serious or folly
    when those faces stare you down
    The choice will be yours my friend.

Comment by neo-gones — January 17, 2006 @ 12:13 pm
  80. Well IMHO, me thinks that Specter will call the scoundrels and start handing out immunity for testimony. Then we can all sit back and watch them retire on their newfound riches
    (read wartime capitol gains)…..seems like something that happened under bush1 (IRAN CONTRA?)

Comment by Phil — January 17, 2006 @ 12:14 pm
  81. You all know what they say “Give them enough rope and they will hang themselves”? Well it’s happening. This administration has pushed the American public far beyond any limits. Time to impeach NOW!

Comment by MrWeekend — January 17, 2006 @ 12:15 pm
  82. the deputy attorney general testified before Congress that the president does have the inherent authority under the Constitution

Which highlights the overwhelming central fallacy of the bush admin’s claim.

They don’t get to decide what’s “Constitutional” or not. That would be the job of the SC. Which is why alito should should not BE on the SC, Dianne. Because then the Executive branch can decide the constitutionality of the laws. Which is why, Dianne, the Senate has that Advise and Consent clause in the Constitution.

As a CHECK on the powers of the Executive Branch, Dianne.

Comment by Duckman GR — January 17, 2006 @ 12:16 pm
  83. “we are the only 39% who matter.”
    Well, at least he finally admits he is in the minority.

Comment by SpudgeBoy — January 17, 2006 @ 12:23 pm
  84. This administration has pushed the American public far beyond any limits. Time to impeach NOW!

Comment by MrWeekend

You are not the public and do not represent the public. The pubic maybe.

Comment by I-RIGHT-I — January 17, 2006 @ 12:25 pm
  85. Gonzales has no understanding. He’s another pet monkey in the white house.

Comment by Captain America — January 17, 2006 @ 12:28 pm
  86. BASS: Not the telephone so much. A different form of communication, which I can‘t get into the details. The fact of the matter is that the act was intentionally set up to allow N.S.A. to do data mining, as long as they weren‘t targeting specific individuals.

The issue here is that, based on what the administration has said, it sounds very much like instead of looking for phrases, they‘re looking for individuals. And that they‘ve been targeting Americans, based on evidence that they think is not sufficient to go to the FISA court. That‘s the troubling issue.

MATTHEWS: You‘re the first person to say it, because some people say the reason that this administration didn‘t go to the FISA courts to get approval to intercept key phrases that might have to do with the targeting of U.S. iconic facilities, buildings, is because you can‘t get approval for such a broad scope.

BASS: You can‘t get the approval, but Chris I can assure you, because I worked on the issue when FISA was enacted, that we consciously knew about data mining at that time and we knew that searching for phrases was not to be covered by the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act and it‘s covered through a process of minimizing use of the information.

Comment by Gus the Loving OBGYN — January 17, 2006 @ 12:28 pm
  87. Al Gore casts pearls, Gonzales throws rocks.

Comment by carolyn — January 17, 2006 @ 12:30 pm
  88. Kanneth Bass Fmr FISA Counsel:

BASS: The fact of the matter is that the act was intentionally set up to allow N.S.A. to do data mining, as long as they weren‘t targeting specific individuals.

The issue here is that, based on what the administration has said, it sounds very much like instead of looking for phrases, they‘re looking for individuals. And that they‘ve been targeting Americans, based on evidence that they think is not sufficient to go to the FISA court. That‘s the troubling issue.

Comment by Gus the Loving OBGYN — January 17, 2006 @ 12:31 pm
  89. The problem with all the scandals is that bush can pardan them all after the 2008 election no matter who wins, Gov fletcher did just that when members of his adminstration were caught breaking the law here, his pardan includes people who we might not even know about yet, the audacity has no bounds.

Comment by Clif — January 17, 2006 @ 12:32 pm
  90. If Gonzales is so confident that what the Bush administration is doing is legal, I think he would welcome an investigation to prove us all wrong. What’s to hide there Alberto? Hope you look good in an orange jump suit because you and your buddies will be getting one soon. IMPEACH!

Comment by TC — January 17, 2006 @ 12:36 pm
  91. “You are not the public and do not represent the public.”
    You just keep telling yourself that.

Do you live out in the back woods somewhere? Do you get out much? I hear not only from Americans all around the country, but I also hear from people all around the world. Bush isn’t going to go much further.

You need to wake up or go back to sleep, I don’t really care what happens to your racist ass.

Comment by SpudgeBoy — January 17, 2006 @ 12:37 pm
  92. I wish whenever someone tries “well Clinton (or Gore, or whoever)did it too …’ instead of falling for this crap and defending Clinton (or Gore, or whoever) the response would be the same as I got when I was a kid ‘If Clinton (or Gore, or whoever) jumped off a bridge would you?

What an incredibly stupid defense ‘they did it too!’ is. The only thing worse is people falling for it and saying ‘No he didn’t’. Keep on the issue being discussed, is what is going on NOW right or wrong.

Comment by mike — January 17, 2006 @ 12:38 pm
  93. “If Gonzales is so confident that what the Bush administration is doing is legal, I think he would welcome an investigation to prove us all wrong.”
    Exactly. Let’s see your Executive Privlage arguement stand up in court.

Comment by SpudgeBoy — January 17, 2006 @ 12:38 pm
  94. Re: “Clinton did it First” These hypocrites keep coming back to the Aldrich Ames “illegal search” canard-have I fallen into an alternative universe-has it not already been explained that Ames, as anyone working for the CIA had signed away his rights to protection from “illegal” search and seizure? Hell, any buck-ass private in the Army is subject to the same thing, and hopefully has done so as his expression of his intent to serve his nation honorably.

Comment by Gary Batterson — January 17, 2006 @ 12:44 pm
  95. That was pretty bold of McClellan to call dibs on the part of Doc Holiday with that quote from the movie. I wonder who Big Show and Junior are going to be.

Comment by Buckley Roberts — January 17, 2006 @ 12:46 pm
  96. I am so confused. They went after every little minutia they could find to try and pin some kind of illegality on Pres. Clinton. So they’re trying to tell me that something this huge wouldn’t have been a huge scandal if what Pres. Clinton did was illegal. The Repubs were desparate to nail Pres Clinton for eight years and all they had was a stain on a blue dress.

Comment by R P — January 17, 2006 @ 12:51 pm
  97. remember the old addage… if you can’t dazzle them with brillance baffle them with bull… well these jokers in DC are some of the best bull artists to ever besmerch the countries reputation

Comment by Clif — January 17, 2006 @ 12:55 pm
  98. Spudge boy, the NYT may be your source but to what extent is my understanding incorrect? And where in my comment did I indicate my support for the president’s program? I fear your accusation is the reflection of your own behavior. Spoon fed? Not so. You? Methinks yes.
    If the FISA court issued the warrant, you might disagree with the standard they applied,but it at least was a third party. Which was what the law and the subsequent decisions acknowledged. I’m fully aware of what data mining entails but what is also clear is that exactly what the program entailed isn’t clear. When it is, and I hope the hearings will make the information available, then a conclusion can be drawn. I’ve read the CRS report and the FISC opinion from 2002. I wasn’t spoon fed.
    Spudge,either improve your reading comprehension skills so we can have a discussion or STFU.

Comment by TJM — January 17, 2006 @ 12:58 pm
  99. Look Atrny General Gonzales is doing his best million little pieces of his own to Larry King. Larry King, What the F is the Attorney General of the US doing on Larry King?Most of his guests seem to be working confabulators . Welcome to the club Mr. attorney General.

Comment by the fly-man — January 17, 2006 @ 12:58 pm
  100. Bush’s spin is reaching the breaking point…it’s help from the media allows them to continue, but I’m wating for it all to spin out of control, and shatter anything left resembling credibility left in these clowns.

Comment by johnnyr — January 17, 2006 @ 1:02 pm
  101. I’ll never forgive the Clinton Administration for failing to prevent the second Bush Administration. After all, they stopped the FIRST one. There’s no excuse.

Comment by shieldvulf — January 17, 2006 @ 1:05 pm
  102. Gore vs Gonzales…

Thumbs up and Thumbs down articles on the Gonzales reaction to yesterday’s Al Gore speech….

Trackback by The WB42 5:30 Report With Doug Krile — January 17, 2006 @ 1:07 pm
  103. So TJM, when you read stuff like the CRS report and the submitions to FISC/2002 that say this wasn’t legal….what do you think? Do you REALLY expect anyone withing the administration to come out and say they are wrong (our intellectually challenged AG Gonzales excluded)?

What does it take for you to form an opinion on the matter?

Do you care that YOU or YOUR FAMILY members may very well have had FBI checks run on them?

What do you think about the idea’s this great country of ours was founded on, the supression of (old) King George’s tyranny and personal liberty? Tell us, please.

Comment by kindness — January 17, 2006 @ 1:26 pm
  104. Can’t wait for the Gonzo hearings in early Feb.

“Gonzales said he would not discuss any operational details at the hearing and would only explain the legal justification.”

Here’s what Gonzo has so far:

1. “But… but Congress authorized it when they used the words, ‘authorize the President to use all necessary and appropriate force’…”

2. “But… but Clinton did it too, or at least something like it…”

Should be fun.

Comment by Darth Filibustrous — January 17, 2006 @ 1:36 pm
  105. Judd, m’budd:

Paragraph 5, pointed out by a DU’er…

“The Senate Select Committee on Intelligence (hereinafter “the Committee”) received its initial briefing regarding the case on the day the arrests were publicly announced. The facts contained in the affidavit supporting the arrest and search warrants were summarized by representatives of the FBI.”

Comment by The Witch — January 17, 2006 @ 1:37 pm
  106. TJM,

Here is what I am refering to:

“My understanding is that warrantless searches are permissible if the activity is directed at foreign agents in international communications even if on US soil.”
    Sorry I didn’t post your whole quote. I will be sure to do that next time.

That is what I have a problem with. If your understanding was correct, there wouldn’t be a story, this thread wouldn’t be here and we wouldn’t be going back and forth (took you long enough, sheesh).

You are under the impression that nothing illegal was done.

The New York Times is the sole source of this story. They are the ones who broke the story. Every other news outlet is just regergitating the New York Times story. Go to the source.

If you want to remain ignorant of the story, go for it. No skin off my back.

If you want to read the articles, then debate it fine. But, if you are just going to go off of what you have heard, go for it. Once again, I don’t care. Just STFU.

Comment by SpudgeBoy — January 17, 2006 @ 1:38 pm
  107. […] Think Progress: “The issue with the Bush’s warrantless domestic wiretapping program is that it violates a federal criminal law, the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act. Despite what Gonzales is implying, the Clinton administration never violated FISA and never claimed they could violate FISA.” […]

Pingback by Oliver Willis » A Democrat, Not A Tepidcrat — January 17, 2006 @ 1:39 pm
  108. kindness,I’ll assume that you read the comments I posted. That’s likely to be a stretch since in neither of the 2 earlier ones was there any opinion expressed at all, but is this an issue where you have concluded that GWB has committed a crime? Clearly,the sentiment here is that he has but other than a predisposition to reach that conclusion,I don’t have any solid evidence that he did. It looks like the administration had no legal basis for the action but I’d like there to be the hearings to determine that.
    Of course,AG the AG will say there was a legal basis for the program,he wrote it. You think what you want and allow me to think what I do. I apparently lack sufficient anti-administration vitriol for you. Too bad for you.
    Your statement that the FISC opinion says this wasn’t legal is false. The FISC opinion was about the extent of the government’s reach in applications to the court,which has nothing to do with the program under discussion since it didn’t go to the court.
    The CRS report says that the argument presented by the administration in relying on the AUMF and the inherent powers is shaky at best,and likely to fail. It doesn’t say the program is illegal per se. You drew that inference. You may want to read the FindLaw articles by John Dean and others about the case.
    As a matter of fact,I’ve had a number of background checks done both for me and to me. In and of itself,why does that concern you? Are you afraid of the FBI?
    Oh, and don’t use the caps,I can read. It really does indicate immaturity.
    There are no absolutes in freedom or almost anything else. It’s also a maxim that there are no permanent friends,there are no permanent enemies,there are only permanent interests.

Comment by TJM — January 17, 2006 @ 1:56 pm
  109. Let me see if I have this straight: the Republican Administration and its minions argue that spying on Americans without FISA warrants is justifiable and they further argue that —after all Bill Clinton did it too.” Using that logic, could Bill Clinton have justified his behavior by stating that “…Well, Newt is a serial adulterer, so is Bob Barr, and Bob Livingston and Henry Hyde and …well, you get the drift.”
    If this is the best the Republicans have, we will take back the Congress on “06.
    Cyclops

Comment by Cyclops — January 17, 2006 @ 1:59 pm
  110. TJM, the occasional use of all caps indicates emphasis, not immaturity. While italics would indicate emphasis just as well, all caps is quicker and easier.

Comment by Jane E. Schneider — January 17, 2006 @ 2:13 pm
  111. What more proof do “the people” need to realize that American justice is a joke…

This is an administration of lies, lies and more lies…

Scott McClellan is a liar, Alberto Gonzales is a liar, Dennis Fatbastert is aliar, L’il Dick is a liar, and the king of ‘em all attempts to remain above it all but is the biggest liar of ‘em all George W. Bush…

Every one of you right wing Bushite inbreds deserve nothing less than extinction, you’re a disgrace to humankind!

Comment by big papa — January 17, 2006 @ 2:16 pm
  112. But if they became extinct, we would have no bad examples.

Comment by WaltTheMan — January 17, 2006 @ 2:19 pm
  113. WASN’T GOP Richard M NIXONS EX- US Attorney General, John Mitchell, SCHEDULED for a Little JAIL TIME, for HIS PART in the Watergate Coverup & Trial ?

Comment by DC Underground Garage — January 17, 2006 @ 2:26 pm
  114. ” . . .deputy attorney general testified before Congress that the president does have the inherent authority under the Constitution to engage in physical searches without a warrant . . “

I’m sure he did so testify, because he lives on the plantation, but where in the Constitution does it say that?

And what is “inherent authority” anyhow? Is it the same as “implied authority?” That’s not good enough.

Comment by Don — January 17, 2006 @ 2:30 pm
  115. Just wait til “enemy combatant” court cases start getting thrown out by judges due to tainted evidence from the illegal wiretaps. Let’s hear Chimpy try to explain how that makes Amurrikah “safer”.

IMPEACH.

Comment by melior in France — January 17, 2006 @ 2:36 pm
  116. Gonzales is treading on thin ice, because the more he defends illegal acts by Bush, then the more he becomes guilty of crimes as well! Alberto should remember what happened to Nixon’s Attorney General and wise up!

Comment by Jay Randal — January 17, 2006 @ 3:00 pm
  117. Delphine a #55: It is so frustrating to read these “news” reports which give a statement by any spokesperson, any side, but provide no context, no factual references.

Does it do any good to “jaw here”?? IMHO, it damn well does do some good. At least we who read these things confirm we are not crazy, but actually in touch with reality. We can send posts on to our busy friends, who can then mention what they know to be factual.

Frequently, the AP does change it’s online copy to reflect missing fact-based information–so write them.

Will the Mainstream Corporate Media change? Possibly, but have no idea when. Please, Mr. Soros! (or people with money.) Buy CNN! Get fact-based news out there. Pleeeeeeeeeeze!

Comment by jawbone — January 17, 2006 @ 3:04 pm
  118. It’s the old “Clinton did it” excuse. The Eddie Haskell presidency.
    1. Clinton did not do it — but truth never stopped the Bushies from saying anything.
    2. Don’t we all know why AG was appointed AG — he is so adept at spinning lies to make them seem like the truth to those who are not paying attention. (And he will keep Bush out of jail.)
    3. Don’t they have anything better to do than rant against a Democrat who isn’t even in office?

Comment by Marie — January 17, 2006 @ 3:18 pm
  119. The first question following any statement by an administration official should always be, “Why should we believe you?”

Comment by Redshift — January 17, 2006 @ 3:21 pm
  120. If what McClellan and the White House is saying is true, than they should all along for the past few weeks have been using their argument of the precedent set by the Clinton administration, and its legal argument, in favor of their own actions. Of course, they could not do that because the Clinton administration’s legal argument no longer holds because of subsequent legislation.

Comment by ewastud — January 17, 2006 @ 3:25 pm

Considering who will probably get the Democratic nomination in 2008, i.e. Mrs. Clinton, it’s foolish on the opposition’s part NOT to point out the deficiencies of the previous Clinton administration considering that her deficiencies will be even more profound.

Comment by Tracy — January 17, 2006 @ 3:45 pm
  122. Thank you for your response TJM. While you and I don’t agree on the intent, reach, nor the legality and usefulness of data mining program that the bush43 administration has hatched by the NSA, I can converse with you. I won’t use the tone you do however. No, I don’t think I’m better nor mor moral than you. But you do come off as kind of condescending.

I’ll just note that you didn’t answer my questions reguarding how you feel about the loss of freedoms we had had, and now don’t. You are right though. I have already made up my mind as to bush43’s intent and their actual priorities - It won’t surprise you to hear me say bushco is not looking out for americans. They are looking out for corporations, right wing uber rich and neo-con totalitarians.

You might be surprised I didn’t throw in the words fascist, hitler, brownshirt or goosestep. Your lucky day.

Comment by kindness — January 17, 2006 @ 3:47 pm
  123. Not to provide aid and comfort to the enemas (i.e. Gonzales and McClellan)…but with regard to Aldrich Ames, I have always wondered what part of the Fourth Amendment the Clinton Administration didn’t understand.

Granted, it had nothing to do with FISA, granted that Bushco is lying like Trent Lott’s hairpiece, granted even that Aldrich Ames was a very serious threat to national security, any warrantless search is wrong.

My proposed solution is that whenever an Aldrich Ames case comes up, argue the necessity to a jury. If twelve citizens brave and true are willing to nullify the plain letter of the law because of extraordinary circumstances, ok. But every time the Administration violates the Constitution, they should have to argue the case publicly.

Comment by Charles — January 17, 2006 @ 3:55 pm
  124. […] Alberto Gonzales, and Scott McLellan, coming up the rear, smears Al Gore for calling for an investigation of Emperor Bush’s illegal wiretaps. Gonzales insinuates that Clinton authorized a similarly illegal search of Aldrich Ames. The problem with Gonzales’ logic is that the search conducted under Clinton was at that time legal and allowed. This begs a certain question. Isn’t the argument that Gonzales is making in effect, “Clinton did it, so why can’t we?” First, as noted, the particular factual circumstances and legal standards were different. (With Ames it was for a physical search instead of a wiretap, and no warrant was required.) Gonzales, normally so quick to point out the finer nuances of the law in regards to things like what constitutes “torture” obviously knows this. This kind of purposeful dissembling by Gonzales can only be done to mislead and deceive. Second, if Clinton had done something as facially illegal as a search in violation of the laws of Congress, the right wing would have been all over him in a heartbeat. As it was, they had to fabricate and stretch lame non-stories such as Whitewater to try to get something to pin on him. Third, even if Gonzales’ insinuation was true, that the searches under Clinton were illegal, and they were conducted without a warrant, it would make Georgie’s illegal listening no less illegal today then they would have been then under Clinton. […]

Pingback by Looney Moonbat » Blog Archive » Deliberately misleading. — January 17, 2006 @ 4:08 pm
    To speculate that Clinton will be president, and to extrapolate from that, that her deficiencies would be profound is to deny the record of GWB staring you right in the face.
    It would be impossible for anyone to be as inept, as ignorant, as partisan, as belligerent, as bellicose, as self-righteous, as arrogant, as foolish, as wrong-headed, as partisan, as stubborn, as corrupt, as criminal, as deceitful, as dishonest, and as greedy as the boy-king, GWB.
    Historians will set him at the lowest standard by which future presidents will be measured.

Comment by Marie — January 17, 2006 @ 4:15 pm
  126. I should add “profoundly stupid.”

Comment by Marie — January 17, 2006 @ 4:18 pm
  127. How many of you actually still watch FAUX Gnus?

Unless you are a masochist or someone who believes studio wrestling is real, not many watch FAUX anymore.

So why would you watch MSNBC, especially HardlyBall?

MSNBC is just a softer, more subtler version of FAUX. Do yourself a favor and stop watching it.

Get your news from the internet instead.

Comment by KEVIN SCHMIDT, STERLING VA — January 17, 2006 @ 4:30 pm
  128. AW come on GW does a good job for a talking manican, he even hides the fact that cheny’s arm is shoved up bush’s rectum in order to give him some sort of backbone.

Comment by Clif — January 17, 2006 @ 4:34 pm
  129. These Thieves who stole the 2000 election couldn’t even wait for single minute, They already started their Smear campaign as Usual, This is the same way they manipulated everything in 2000 and 2004. Enough is enough, Don’t take any more nonsense from these criminal republicans . Someone has to put an end for their lies and their criminal act.

https://www.electgore2008.com

Comment by roger — January 17, 2006 @ 4:56 pm
  130. Gonzales, like most of the lawless morons in His (not so ) Royal Hiney’s Imperial Court, ( and I’m talking about “running three quarts low” Dumbya here) he lies, mis-directs, evades, and avoids the truth. He’s just ANOTHER lowlife, protecting the LIGHT WEIGHT “war president”…

Gene Campbell
    Central Florida

Comment by gene campbell — January 17, 2006 @ 5:01 pm
  131. […] Alberto Gonzales also repeated the lie on last night’s Larry King Live; Think Progress provides a smackdown. See also Steve Soto. […]

Pingback by The Mahablog » Responsibility — January 17, 2006 @ 5:14 pm
  132. From RawStory, Gore very effectively responds to the smear.

In response to White House comments that Gore exhibited “hypocrisy” in calling for a Special Prosecutor, saying that the Clinton administration had wiretapped some Americans, Gore will make this statement shortly. It was leaked to RAW STORY in advance.

Former Vice President Al Gore: “The Administration’s response to my speech illustrates perfectly the need for a special counsel to review the legality of the NSA wiretapping program.

The Attorney General is making a political defense of the President without even addressing the substantive legal questions that have so troubled millions of Americans in both political parties.

There are two problems with the Attorney General’s effort to focus attention on the past instead of the present Administration’s behavior. First, as others have thoroughly documented, his charges are factually wrong. Both before and after the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act was amended in 1995, the Clinton/Gore Administration complied fully and completely with the terms of the law.

Second, the Attorney General’s attempt to cite a previous administration’s activity as precedent for theirs - even though factually wrong - ironically demonstrates another reason why we must be so vigilant about their brazen disregard for the law. If unchecked, their behavior would serve as a precedent to encourage future presidents to claim these same powers, which many legal experts in both parties believe are clearly illegal.

The issue, simply put, is that for more than four years, the executive branch has been wiretapping many thousands of American citizens without warrants in direct contradiction of American law. It is clearly wrong and disrespectful to the American people to allow a close political associate of the president to be in charge of reviewing serious charges against him.

The country needs a full and independent investigation into the facts and legality of the present Administration’s program.”
    Comment by RightPunch — January 17, 2006 @ 5:27 pm
  133. Alberto Gonzales always has that smug devious smile, like he just was looking at porn pics on the Internet, or just read a transcript of a illegal wiretap on Sen. McCain’s fetishes!

Comment by Jay Randal — January 17, 2006 @ 5:46 pm
  134. “I think his hypocrisy knows no bounds,” McClellan said of Gore.
    So the latest talking points have been pulled from the movie, Tombstone?

Comment by yorktank — January 17, 2006 @ 5:48 pm
  135. Blame the messenger. GOP Playbook Chapter 1.

See Gore’s retailiation.

Comment by Deepthroat69 — January 17, 2006 @ 6:21 pm

“It would be impossible for anyone to be as inept, as ignorant, as partisan, as belligerent, as bellicose, as self-righteous, as arrogant, as foolish, as wrong-headed, as partisan, as stubborn, as corrupt, as criminal, as deceitful, as dishonest, and as greedy as the boy-king, GWB.”

Execpt Clinton #1 OR #2, both are self absorbed assholes.

“Historians will set him at the lowest standard by which future presidents will be measured.”

Yeah, liberal historians who like to re-write history as they see fit!

Comment by Tracy — January 17, 2006 @ 6:40 pm
  137. Shrub sucks. I hate it more than I hate death. And just what is this pile of shit called Tracy? Stay away from me tonight.

Comment by Brad Turner — January 17, 2006 @ 6:59 pm
  138. “Execpt Clinton #1 OR #2, both are self absorbed assholes. Tracy”

Proof? Clinton created tens of millions of jobs for all americans and we saw one of the most prosperous periods in american history. Are you sure you aren’t projecting here, because you don’t sound very giving, loving or caring yourself at the moment.

“Yeah, liberal historians who like to re-write history as they see fit! Tracy”

Is that what they teach you at religious school these days. Science, facts and reality must be hard for people raised on fairy tales of talking donkies, flat earth, mud made men, and virgin births. I forgive you of your hatred, venom and inability to join reality. Maybe someday you’ll find your way back to the reality that we live in.

Comment by RightPunch — January 17, 2006 @ 7:16 pm
  139. yea tracy the troll’s been flying under the radar here. the new litmus test for wingnuts: where do you stand on joe mccarthy, tracy? do you think he’s a hero like ann coulter does, or uber-trolls gary ruppert and iri?

while i certainly was no fan of bclinton, i’d take him back today without hesitation. now hillary is another matter entirely. i think she’s the death of the democrats in 2008. she’s unelectable. she’ll win the primaries and then go down in flames in the general election. despite her centrist moves recently (or even right-wing? co-sponsoring a flag burning bill? come on.), they only serve to make her image even murkier than it already is. moderates, especially now, are looking for any alternative to this two-party mess we have, and hillary will give them more incentive to look for it. but the fundamental difference between bill and hillary? charisma.

besides, senators traditionally don’t fare well in presidential elections. i think if she wanted to prove she was executive material she should’ve run for governor, not senator, of new york.

and getting on-topic: abu gonzalez is just running interference. cognitive dissonance has always been the republicans’ best weapon; when you can’t figure out what the truth is, you stop trying. republicans devalue the truth to the point that it’s no longer a commodity (especially to the press, who value opinion more than truth now - getting a big name on record is more important). most people don’t want to put forth the effort to dig up the facts anymore.

i’d like to personally thank the right-wing noise machine for burying the truth under a mountain of talking points, inaccuracies and untruths. you’ve turned a good, slightly libertarian independent like myself into a democrat, at least until you and your ilk are remnants of history.

Comment by Progressaurus Rex — January 17, 2006 @ 8:13 pm
  140. Will the Mainstream Corporate Media change? Possibly, but have no idea when. Please, Mr. Soros! (or people with money.) Buy CNN! Get fact-based news out there. Pleeeeeeeeeeze!

Comment by jawbone #117

Yeah jawbone,

MSNBC just had it’s anchor (some young blonde chick) say in a traiker, ” In a moment comments by Mayor Ray Nagin about how God hates America”

Ray Nagin NEVER mentioned the words “God hates America”.

Al Crackers… hmmm

Comment by big papa — January 17, 2006 @ 8:19 pm
  141. Al Gore is a traitorous weenie, who cannot get over the fact that mainstream America rejected him and his “self hating American” agenda. Like Kerry, Dean (and Dukakis and McGovern before them), they have been judged by real Americans, and found wanting. Please, just go away and leave defending our country to real men.

Comment by L. Powers — January 17, 2006 @ 9:07 pm
  142. “Al Gore is a traitorous weenie, who cannot get over the fact that mainstream America rejected him and his “self hating American” agenda. Like Kerry, Dean (and Dukakis and McGovern before them), they have been judged by real Americans, and found wanting. Please, just go away and leave defending our country to real men. L. Powers”

I guess you forget the part where 1/2 million americans chose Gore over Bush - clearly they though Bush was the weenie as you so devisively and poorly put it. And your beloved leader only has a 39% approval rating, so obviously he’s been ‘judged’ by real americans and found wanting. So please give your advice to Bush, so he doesn’t have to be impeached for high crimes and traiterous acts in defiance of the constitution. And why would you defend a president who betrays the constitution - I would never defend a Democrat who committed such a crime. Is it fear? Because if it is, don’t worry pumpkin. Those of us who actually have courage will protect not only america’s borders, but also her constitution and values - even from our fellow scared little children like yourself.

‘Night there pumpkin, time for bed. Clearly these scary stories of terrorism and runaway presidents have made you hysterical. It’ll be alright there pumpkin.

Comment by RightPunch — January 17, 2006 @ 9:15 pm
  143. L. Powers,
    by “real men” i laughingly assume you mean bush, cheney, rumsfeld, etc. - those who would have us surrender to fear of ‘the terr’ists’ every day. surrender our freedoms, surrender our diplomacy, surrender our good sense and reputation in the world, surrender our achievements in bringing and sustaining peace in the world to the waging of an endless war. that, to me, is far more “self hating” than anything.

i think gore cannot get over the fact that he received more votes, and still didn’t get the presidency. i think that would be hard for any person to get over. i think it would be even harder to watch the so-called “winner” mindlessly and irresponsibly destroy just about everything america is supposed to stand for, with idiots like you brainlessly cheering him on.

so you go ahead. defend torture. defend totalitarianism (hope that’s not too big a word for you, genius. it means one party rule). defend a rich bastard who, quite frankly, doesn’t give a shit about your life, and never has. it plays right into their hands, you being a mindless sheep.

if you’re what the right has to offer, if you’re what they proudly call their ‘base’, i’m not worried in the least. be proud to represent the new face of “conservatism”: idiocy. the only thing that worries me is that a man of apparently similar intellect to yours has the power to destroy the world.

man, i liked it so much better when the wingnuts were at least worthy adversaries.

Comment by Progressaurus Rex — January 17, 2006 @ 9:31 pm
  144. […] This morning, ThinkProgress revealed charges of hypocrisy leveled against Al Gore by Attorney General Gonzales were completely baseless. Now, the AP has updated its story on the Bush administration’s smear of former Vice President Al Gore to include the facts: McClellan said the Clinton-Gore administration had engaged in warrantless physical searches, and he cited an FBI search of the home of CIA turncoat Aldrich Ames without permission from a judge. He said Clinton’s deputy attorney general, Jamie Gorelick, had testified before Congress that the president had the inherent authority to engage in physical searches without warrants. […]

Pingback by Think Progress » AP Reports Facts on White House Smear of Gore — January 17, 2006 @ 9:44 pm
  145. LOL

Yeah, liberal historians who like to re-write history as they see fit!
    Historians are no longer impartial, they are “liberal” now. History books, science books, soon it will be math books that are relegated to the trash heap in Bushlandia where the powerful get to write the textbooks of their own version.
    See no one gets credit for anything when there is likelihood that the boy king won’t be viewed with favor.
    Ignorance — doesn’t it get tiresome?

Comment by Marie — January 17, 2006 @ 9:47 pm
  146. Al Gore actually won in 2000, but Bush and his dad’s friends
    manuvered him into the presidency! Now look at all the problems he has caused! Gore would NOT have invaded Iraq for the OIL CARTELS or to pad profits for Cheney’s Halliburton corporation either! NO torture would have occured under Gore and NO warrantless wiretaps! Our nation would be better off today, instead of mired in debt!

Comment by Jay Randal — January 17, 2006 @ 10:20 pm
  147. Not only THAT, Jay, but when an intelligence memo titled “Bin Laden determined to attack inside the U.S.” landed on his desk, Gore would not have gone on a month long vacation. I can’t wait for the civil war. The neoconfascists will have all hell to pay.

Comment by Jamo — January 17, 2006 @ 11:21 pm
  148. Gonzales has gone from “torturing people without breaking the law” to torturing the law without breaking people he slavishly serves.

Comment by David Dix — January 17, 2006 @ 11:23 pm
  149. I, Thoth, the Atlantean,
    give of my wisdom,
    give of my knowledge,
    give of my power.
    Freely I give to the children of men.
    Give that they, too, might have wisdom
    to shine through the world from the veil of the night.

Wisdom is power and power is wisdom,
    one with each other, perfecting the whole.

Be thou not proud, O man, in thy wisdom.
    Discourse with the ignorant as well as the wise.
    If one comes to thee full of knowledge,
    listen and heed, for wisdom is all.

Keep thou not silent when evil is spoken for Truth
    like the sunlight shines above all.
    He who over-steppeth the Law shall be punished,
    for only through Law comes the freedom of men.
    Cause thou not fear for fear is a bondage,
    a fetter that binds the darkness to men.

Follow thine heart during thy lifetime.
    Do thou more than is commanded of thee.
    When thou hast gained riches,
    follow thou thine heart,
    for all these are of no avail if
    thine heart be weary.
    Diminish thou not the time of
    following thine heart.
    It is abhorred of the soul.

They that are guided go not astray,
    but they that are lost cannot find a straight path.
    If thou go among men, make for thyself,
    Love, the beginning and end of the heart.

If one cometh unto thee for council,
    let him speak freely,
    that the thing for which he hath
    come to thee may be done.
    If he hesitates to open his heart to thee,
    it is because thou, the judge, doeth the wrong.

Repeat thou not extravagant speech,
    neither listen thou to it,
    for it is the utterance of one
    not in equilibrium.
    Speak thou not of it,
    so that he before thee may know wisdom.

Silence is of great profit.
    An abundance of speech profiteth nothing.
    Exalt not thine heart above the children of men,
    lest it be brought lower than the dust.

Sapre Aude!

Comment by neo-gones — January 18, 2006 @ 1:10 am
  150. “I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands…”

I pledge allegiance to the U.S. Constitution.
    I pledge allegiance to the Declaration of Independence.
    I DO NOT pledge allegiance to the President of the United States. Nor should any member of the judicial, legislative, or executive branch. Nor should any TRUE American.

Comment by Lily — January 18, 2006 @ 2:02 am
  151. As I recall, wasn’t Aldrich Ames an ACTUAL threat to national security? I’m so sick of right-wing B.S., I’m sick of being sick of right wing B.S. F* Gonzales, F* Bush, F* Cheney, F* ‘em all. If there is a hell, I’m pretty sure these guys are headed there in an un-armored Humvee, where they shall be water-boarded for the rest of eternity.

Comment by colinjames — January 18, 2006 @ 12:26 pm
RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a comment

Name (required)

E-mail (required, will not be published)

URI

Formatting: Use the buttons below to apply basic HTML styles. Or use these tags directly:

var edButtons = new Array(); edButtons[edButtons.length] = new edButton('ed_strong' ,'bold' ,'' ,'' ,'b' ); edButtons[edButtons.length] = new edButton('ed_em' ,'italic' ,'' ,'' ,'i' ); edButtons[edButtons.length] = new edButton('ed_link' ,'link' ,'' ,'
' ,'a' ); // special case edButtons[edButtons.length] = new edButton('ed_block' ,'blockquote' ,'\n\n
' ,'
\n\n' ,'q' ); edButtons[edButtons.length] = new edButton('ed_img' ,'image' ,'' ,'' ,'m' ,-1 ); // special case function edToolbar() { document.write(''); for (i = 0; i < edButtons.length; i++) { edShowButton(edButtons[i], i); } document.write(''); // edShowLinks(); // disabled by default document.write('
'); } edToolbar();
Your Comment

By clicking "Post - I Agree" below, you acknowledge that you have read our Terms of Use agreement and agree to its terms.

Subscribe to the Progress Report

It’s the daily newsletter from the writers of Think Progress. Featuring hard-hitting research and analysis you can’t find anywhere else.

Think Progress Highlights

What We’re About

What We’re Fighting For:

What We’re Fighting Against:

Archives

Topics

Links

Blogroll

Other Sites We Like

About Think Progress

Contact us

RSS 2.0

Got a hot tip? E-mail us

About Think Progress | Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy (off-site)

© 2006 American Progress Action Fund

var site="s21thinkprogress"