Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1

Tool kit for bringing CA Guard home

Dear Community,

For our protection here, please consider taking one or more of the actions below to help bring the California National Guard home from Iraq.

Please note that our smart representatives, Patty Berg and Noreen Evans, are co-sponsors of the resolution, they do not need to be contacted for this.

The wise City Council of Sebastopol has passed their own resolution, along with the Counties of Marin and Mendocino. I would appreciate help with convincing the other cities in Sonoma County, and the County itself to join in this sensible action.

MUCH THANKS,

Colleen

FIRST STEP

State Assembly Member Phone Calls

If you live, work, or know someone in the following (list follows script) Assembly Districts, we NEED you to call TODAY & let them know you want them to CO-AUTHOR AJR36: (PLEASE call both their local & capitol numbers if you can!)

Suggested Script for calling Assembly Member

Hi ________________________(assembly person - speak w/Chief of Staff if Assembly Member is not available). This is (your name). I?m your constituent and (or) I?m working with a Coalition of groups that include many of your constituents. I am calling about AJR36, the resolution authored by Loni Hancock to Bring Home Our California National Guard from Iraq so they can be here in California to help protect & care for us.

I am calling to find out if you are going to be a co-author for this resolution?
    (If yes) Thank you so much. I will let Loni know.
    (If no) Can we count on you to vote ?Yes? for this resolution?
    (If yes) Thank you so much. I will let Loni know.

(PLEASE call Corrine & let her know. 510-292-8966)
    (If no) What are your reasons for not supporting the resolution?
    (PLEASE TAKE NOTES, ASK QUESTIONS for clarification).

Would you please send me a letter to that effect?

We would like to meet with you this week to give you the opportunity to discuss your objections with your constituents. When are you available? (Set date & time. Call Sam & let her know. 510-524-2776)

It is VITAL to make an appointment (suggested script follows) with your Assembly Member if they are undecided or if they are NOT supporting AJR36.

Please make an appointment in the DISTRICT office AND the SACRAMENTO office. We will organize a HOT PINK TEAM to be at the appointments!!!

Let us know if you are willing to be part of the TEAM!

Script for Assembly person who is undecided or NOT supporting AJR36:

What are your reasons for not supporting the resolution? (PLEASE TAKE NOTES, ASK QUESTIONS for clarification so the team can be ready).

(If you are a constituent or have an address in their district) Would you please send me a letter to that effect?

We would like to meet with you this week to give you the opportunity to discuss your objections with your constituents. When are you available? (Try to set date & time before the 10th! Call Sam & let her know. 510-524-2776)

Northern California
    6 Joe Nation, San Rafael (Marin & Sonoma Counties) 415-479-4920; 916-319-2006
    8 Lois Wolk, Davis, Vacaville (Solano County); - 707-455-8025; 916-319-2008
    For City Council Phone Calls

If you live, work, or know someone who lives or works in the following cities, PLEASE call the city council members (suggested script follows) in these cities & ask them to put the resolution on the consent calendar.

Northern California

Cotati
    Fort Brag
    Ukiah

Point Arena
    Richmond
    San Rafael
    Santa Rosa
    STEP 2

Suggested Script for talking with council people.

Hi ________________________(council person). This is (your name). I'm your constituent and (or) I'm working with a Coalition of groups that include many of your constituents. We are working on getting the resolution passed to Bring Home Our California National Guard from Iraq so they can be here in California to help protect & care for us.

You should have received a copy of this resolution. If not, I will email you a copy.

Would you be willing to place the resolution on your consent Calendar for the next meeting?

If not, would you be willing to place it on the agenda for the next meeting?

Are there any other council members you'd like me to call to ask them to co-sponsor the resolution with you?

Shall I send a copy of the resolution to the city clerk?

Thank you for your support.
    Hardcore Team National Guard Working Group

THIRD STEP

Joe Nation, the Assembly Member representing Marin County is balking at voting "yes" on AJR36, our Resolution to Bring Home our National Guard. His reason for choosing to allow Bush to take our Guard from our California's first line of defense and ship them off to fight in Iraq, is that he believes the Resolution will prevent future presidents from calling up the guard to assist in peacekeeping and disasters overseas.

First of all, the Resolution is calling for the balance between federal and states rights to be considered & restored. It does not have the authority to prevent the president from doing anything.

Secondly, as far as we can tell, our state's National Guard has never been used for peacekeeping nor for assisting with disasters on foreign soil. Rather, they have been used as replacements for combat troops (only in this war against Iraq); and previously they have been used to SUPPLEMENT combat troops on foreign soil. But mostly our guard has been used for natural & man-created disasters right here in our country, as they're supposed to do.

PLEASE call Joe Nation at (415) 479-4920 (for Marin County) or (707) 576-2631 (for Sonoma County) and ask him to vote "yes" on AJR36. If he is still refusing to support AJR36, ask him to send you a letter with his reasons why he will not support the resolution.

For more information about the resolution including talking points, go to www.bayareacodepink.org actions page & click on national guard.

We also need folks willing to call their city council members to ask them to place the resolution on the consent calendar or the agenda for the NEXT council meeting! This is VERY IMPORTANT as well. Please call 510-524-2776 if you can help or email Jen at [email protected].

In pink peace, protest, participation,
    The Marin & Sonoma County National Guard Regional Working Group
    Last edited by Barry; 01-13-2006 at 12:09 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email