Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    bird

Aesthetics (?) and Political Signs

To the Community -
    OK, the election is about one month away and some folks have been caught up in the fevor of it all.
    I would like to plant some seeds for thought regarding political signs.
    There is a run-off for county supervisor. One of the candidates has had signs up throughout w. county for two months already.
    I spend quite alot of time on w. county roads for my work, so have been observing the ever growing number of signs placed along the roads and on folks' property.
    Here's the thing to consider. I think many of us who live in this area chose to do so because of the exquisite beauty. There are few billboards around w. county. But now, I find w. county plastered with these 4 foot by 4 foot signs ALL OVER THE PLACE. Some properties (I know of at least 3) have 5 signs for one candidate on their homes (not fevor, but fanatic). In many places, there are two or more of these 4'x4' signs placed SIDE BY SIDE as if one weren't enough.
    I would like to PLEASE ask folks to seriously consider the placement of political signs. How many are visible from your property? How does your sign placement affect the scenic beauty of the immediate area where the signs are placed? IS IT YOUR PROPERTY WHERE YOU ARE PLACING SIGNS?
    It's just gotten to be TOO MUCH VISUAL CLUTTER. Litter if you will.
    When I inquired to the candidate with the most signs as to how many trees were sacrificed in pursuit of this county seat, I didn't get a straight answer.
    When I inquired as to what kind of ink was being used on all these dead trees I got NO answer. And this candidate claims to be for the environment??
    Something to consider seriously I'd say.
    So PLEASE THINK before putting up any more signs. What happened to small signs and bumper stickers??
    And I can only hope that this litter will be removed immediately following the election with as much fevor as it has been placed.
    Many Thanks and Peace.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2

Re: Aesthetics (?) and Political Signs

Hello West County Folks,

I'm Colleen Fernald, candidate for Sebastopol City Council; and I agree with the sign overload. That's why my "low-carbon" campaign will produce only a small amount of materials.

If you want to know about me, explore my Google links, call, or write.

I'll send more details soon; for now, here's my starter web page:

www.campaignforpeace.org

I hope to see you, and hear your great questions at the Wacco candidates forum this Sunday at the Sebastopol Community Center.

In peace,

Colleen Fernald

Working for our balanced best interest

[email protected]
    PO Box 3007
    Santa Rosa, CA 95402

AS SENT TO THE PRESS DEMOCRAT, TOP 3 ISSUES:

Traffic is tied with Accountable Development
    We need to resolve the current transportation challenges in order to serve the existing community, and visitors; if we are to provide for accountable development in scale with our small town. Investigate an electric trolley system; enhance safe pedestrian and bike routes.

Water & climate security
    Water quality, quantity and watershed protection; along with green building, waste reduction and renewable power production are the essential areas to focus on for an inheritable future. Continue to support Solar Sebastopol & Solar Sonoma County, and the Climate Protection Campaign; partner in more watershed protection programs and projects; seek grants for a groundwater management plan and broader water conservation efforts.

Community vitality
    Ensure our safety & medical services are supported; redeploy Sustainable Sebastopol to protect our ecological health, and social well being; invigorate the local economy.

Video link to Press Democrat questions on North East Area Plan & utility tax: https://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?...nnel=294434709

Comcast has interviews with the local candidates, but I am cable-free and don't have the details. ABC 7 will post a video clip on their site too. www.abclocal.go.com

Quote Posted in reply to the post by drumgurl: View Post
    To the Community -
    OK, the election is about one month away and some folks have been caught up in the fevor of it all.
    I would like to plant some seeds for thought regarding political signs.
    There is a run-off for county supervisor. One of the candidates has had signs up throughout w. county for two months already.
    I spend quite alot of time on w. county roads for my work, so have been observing the ever growing number of signs placed along the roads and on folks' property.
    Here's the thing to consider. I think many of us who live in this area chose to do so because of the exquisite beauty. There are few billboards around w. county. But now, I find w. county plastered with these 4 foot by 4 foot signs ALL OVER THE PLACE. Some properties (I know of at least 3) have 5 signs for one candidate on their homes (not fevor, but fanatic). In many places, there are two or more of these 4'x4' signs placed SIDE BY SIDE as if one weren't enough.
    I would like to PLEASE ask folks to seriously consider the placement of political signs. How many are visible from your property? How does your sign placement affect the scenic beauty of the immediate area where the signs are placed? IS IT YOUR PROPERTY WHERE YOU ARE PLACING SIGNS?
    It's just gotten to be TOO MUCH VISUAL CLUTTER. Litter if you will.
    When I inquired to the candidate with the most signs as to how many trees were sacrificed in pursuit of this county seat, I didn't get a straight answer.
    When I inquired as to what kind of ink was being used on all these dead trees I got NO answer. And this candidate claims to be for the environment??
    Something to consider seriously I'd say.
    So PLEASE THINK before putting up any more signs. What happened to small signs and bumper stickers??
    And I can only hope that this litter will be removed immediately following the election with as much fevor as it has been placed.
    Many Thanks and Peace.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-02-2008 at 10:30 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email