Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Veeja

What does this mean when a man? or Women?

What does it mean when you are trying to communicate with your lover and he always feels attacked and gets defensive. No matter how I try an bring up a subject or talk about how something makes me feel when it's about him. I've try talking calmly,non-violent communication,creative,trying not to sound condescending ,accusatory,like he's the bad guy. Even at some point in the conversation telling him about his good points. Now I'm loosing my patience and just getting pissed. He say's he will look at something and doe's'nt do the work. I'm not perfect and I don't always say the right thing. I try to correct myself when I realize I've made a mistake. What doe's it mean when a man? When by the time the conversation is over all the chairs around the table are three feet out and he is standing in the kitchen leaning against the sink with his arms folded while your at the dinning room table. We can see each other but he's running. Then when we get no where and then he has to have alone time and go home. Even after I invite him to bed just to hold one another and not talk anymore. I'm always making things better the next day. (obviously I have my issues). By the way one of are issue's (my issue) is weve been together 2 years and I don't think it possibul for him to live with anyone. He has not lived with a women in 16 year. I'm 42. I dont necessarly need marriage but I wood like to know it's possible to get to the next level in a relationship. He really is a great guy in many other way's. Good looking,creative,motivated,hardworking,fun,he makes me laugh,we like to do a lot of the same things,listen to the same music,he passionent,great in bed. In the beginning I thought I hit the jackpot. In the beginning we fell in love very quickly. He said (there you are ,I've been looking for you my whole life). Talked about living together, marriage kids. And now I feel lied to and I feel resentful. I know he did'nt lie. We were both at fault. Anyway sorry about the ramble. I was only going to ask a question and this is what came out.

feeling hopeless
    Veeja
    Last edited by Veeja; 09-06-2008 at 02:13 PM. Reason: explanation
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    MsTerry

Re: What does this mean when a man? or Women?

here are some more questions for you
    Why do you try to fix a man that is already perfect?
    Why do like to be with a man who has control issues?
    and why is this not the first time this is happening to you?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Veeja: View Post
    What does it mean when you are trying to communicate with your lover and he always feels attacked and gets defensive. No matter how I try an bring up a subject or talk about how something makes me feel when it's about him. I've try talking calmly,non-violent communication,creative,trying not to sound condescending ,accusatory,like he's the bad guy. Even at some point in the conversation telling him about his good points. Now I'm loosing my patience and just getting pissed. He say's he will look at something and doe's'nt do the work. I'm not perfect and I don't always say the right thing. I try to correct myself when I realize I've made a mistake. What doe's it mean when a man? When by the time the conversation is over all the chairs around the table are three feet out and he is standing in the kitchen leaning against the sink with his arms folded while your at the dinning room table. We can see each other but he's running. Then when we get no where and then he has to have alone time and go home. Even after I invite him to bed just to hold one another and not talk anymore. I'm always making things better the next day. (obviously I have my issues). By the way one of are issue's (my issue) is weve been together 2 years and I don't think it possibul for him to live with anyone. He has not lived with a women in 16 year. I'm 42. I dont necessarly need marriage but I wood like to know it's possible to get to the next level in a relationship. He really is a great guy in many other way's. Good looking,creative,motivated,hardworking,fun,he makes me laugh,we like to do a lot of the same things,listen to the same music,he passionent,great in bed. In the beginning I thought I hit the jackpot. In the beginning we fell in love very quickly. He said (there you are ,I've been looking for you my whole life). Talked about living together, marriage kids. And now I feel lied to and I feel resentful. I know he did'nt lie. We were both at fault. Anyway sorry about the ramble. I was only going to ask a question and this is what came out.

feeling hopeless
    Veeja

3. TopTop #3
    Veeja

Thank for your questions!
    This gives me something to think about. In the beginning I thought he communicated his feelings very well. And was willing to listen and process sitting next to one another. To be honest it was very new to me. I think I had control issues myself in the past.(I'm sure there still there to some extent). I'm working on being a better communicater and listener. Being a better person all around. I think once the honeymoon was over he changed. That was one of the reason I feel lied to. But I know it's deeper then that. Without going into detail. I was going through some depression from 2 unlucky years before him. Where nothing went right. Not just in relationship ,but across the board in every aspect of my life. It took some time ,but I'm a better person for it. And I feel like I'm a little wiser and can make better choices. I have no regret about most of my experences in life. I hope to keep learning from them. And no this is not the first time this has happened to me in some form or another. But I do beleive I'm making better choices in my life. But I'm still learning for myself what that looks like.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by MsTerry: View Post
    here are some more questions for you
    Why do you try to fix a man that is already perfect?
    Why do like to be with a man who has control issues?
    and why is this not the first time this is happening to you?

4. TopTop #4
    MsTerry

but you are wiser already!
    you try to look at it from both sides
    that is all we need to grow and make wise choices
    good luck!

Thank for your questions!
    This gives me something to think about. In the beginning I thought he communicated his feelings very well. And was willing to listen and process sitting next to one another. To be honest it was very new to me. I think I had control issues myself in the past.(I'm sure there still there to some extent). I'm working on being a better communicater and listener. Being a better person all around. I think once the honeymoon was over he changed. That was one of the reason I feel lied to. But I know it's deeper then that. Without going into detail. I was going through some depression from 2 unlucky years before him. Where nothing went right. Not just in relationship ,but across the board in every aspect of my life. It took some time ,but I'm a better person for it. And I feel like I'm a little wiser and can make better choices. I have no regret about most of my experences in life. I hope to keep learning from them. And no this is not the first time this has happened to me in some form or another. But I do beleive I'm making better choices in my life. But I'm still learning for myself what that looks like.

5. TopTop #5
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

I have been having severe difficulties communicating with someone in the exact same matter. If I even laughed she would feel IO was attacking her in some way. I Finally devised a simple alternative to communication. I wrote her an email. Be warned do not write a long email. But a short email asking why he is alwayz on the defense and give a few short scenarios and laugh about it in your email and just ask why. And do not assert yourself overwhelmingly just a simple cute email stating your concerns and this is what it takes! After you get his attention, you may write a little longer version of communication and in a not threatening matter oh and state this at ever question or statement you make I AM NOT ATTATING YOU BUT WHY DID YOU LEAVE THE TOLAT SEAT UP? LMAO!!!! KINDA WAY!!! It works. In him doing this it does not mean anything except he has a few issues. Everyone has issues this is just one of his you can work through! After a while you can laugh about this out load and try to communicate in the same way by talking. State first off I am not meaning to attack you but.. I cannot have a conversation with the woman I love for this reason, and this is a major factor in my life.

6. TopTop #6
    Braggi

What does it mean when you are trying to communicate with your lover and he always feels attacked and gets defensive. ...
    Check this out: https://www.hsperson.com/

Hopefully you will find some wisdom there.

If not, you might want to read up on borderline personality disorder and narcissism.

Try this one: https://books.google.com/books?id=PJ...result#PPP1,M1

Or maybe you could look over the introductions of some of these books and see if any bells ring for you:
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_?...issist&x=0&y=0

Good luck.

-Jeff