Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Dixon

County trying to penalize me for their mistake!

Recently I tried to pay a minor traffic ticket using the County's prerecorded telephone payment system. The recorded voice told me to type in (on my telephone's keypad) the routing number from the bottom of one of my checks. I did so. Then the voice said something like "Now enter your account number, which is the number right after your routing number". So I entered the number right after the routing number as instructed, and then realized that the recorded voice had given me wrong info--the number right after the routing number was the check number, NOT the account number. The automatic phone system had no way of allowing me to correct the error and put in my real account number; instead it insisted I was done paying my ticket.

I drove to the County courthouse to get things straightened out and spoke to a woman at the Traffic Citations desk (or whatever they call it). Her computer records showed that I had paid the ticket, so she was unable to accept a payment from me. She said that when my bank declined to pay (for lack of an account number) I would be charged $30 extra for the "bounced check". I then talked to a woman in the nearby Accounting office, and she was unable to help, but I had her write and initial a note saying "Defendant at counter unable to pay bail again because system shows case is closed".

I called my bank to give them the required account number so hopefully they would pay the ticket after all so I wouldn't get in trouble, but it was too late; they'd already put it on the "posting rejects" list and refused payment. The lady at the bank said it looked like some other customers had the same problem, as there were others on the list with attempted citation payments to the County. I suspect that they too were victimized by the inaccurate instructions in the telephone payment program.

Now the County wants me to pay the extra $30 for the "bounced check", with the possibility of severe consequences if I fail to pay. Since the problem was caused by my following incorrect instructions from their telephone recording, I shouldn't have to pay!

Have any of you been subjected to this baloney? What did you do about it? Do you want to join me in attacking this problem? Any suggestions for me?

Hellllllllp!!!
    Thanks for listening;
    Dixon
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    MsTerry

Re: County trying to penalize me for their mistake!

LOL, after all this was predicted in "1984"
    You need to keep an accurate record of your actions, preferable in writing or even an audio recording of the phone instructions.
    Let it take it's course and request a hearing.
    Only a judge can straighten you out at this point (no pun intended),
    Will you let us know what happens?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dixon: View Post
    Recently I tried to pay a minor traffic ticket using the County's prerecorded telephone payment system. The recorded voice told me to type in (on my telephone's keypad) the routing number from the bottom of one of my checks. I did so. Then the voice said something like "Now enter your account number, which is the number right after your routing number". So I entered the number right after the routing number as instructed, and then realized that the recorded voice had given me wrong info--the number right after the routing number was the check number, NOT the account number. The automatic phone system had no way of allowing me to correct the error and put in my real account number; instead it insisted I was done paying my ticket.

I drove to the County courthouse to get things straightened out and spoke to a woman at the Traffic Citations desk (or whatever they call it). Her computer records showed that I had paid the ticket, so she was unable to accept a payment from me. She said that when my bank declined to pay (for lack of an account number) I would be charged $30 extra for the "bounced check". I then talked to a woman in the nearby Accounting office, and she was unable to help, but I had her write and initial a note saying "Defendant at counter unable to pay bail again because system shows case is closed".

I called my bank to give them the required account number so hopefully they would pay the ticket after all so I wouldn't get in trouble, but it was too late; they'd already put it on the "posting rejects" list and refused payment. The lady at the bank said it looked like some other customers had the same problem, as there were others on the list with attempted citation payments to the County. I suspect that they too were victimized by the inaccurate instructions in the telephone payment program.

Now the County wants me to pay the extra $30 for the "bounced check", with the possibility of severe consequences if I fail to pay. Since the problem was caused by my following incorrect instructions from their telephone recording, I shouldn't have to pay!

Have any of you been subjected to this baloney? What did you do about it? Do you want to join me in attacking this problem? Any suggestions for me?

Hellllllllp!!!
    Thanks for listening;
    Dixon

3. TopTop #3
    Braggi

... I shouldn't have to pay! ...
    Hellllllllp!!!
    Dixon, it's only $30. Sounds like a cheap lesson. I suggest you pay it and let it go.

Thanks for sharing it with us. Next Wacco event where you show up, mention it and we'll take up a collection for you to reimburse you the $30. I'm willing to kick in a few bucks for having been told about it.

We all should know the differences between and among the various numbers on our checks. I think it's explained in the little information packet we get with each box of checks. It's also explained on various banking websites.

We'll all check it out should we need to use the system in question.

-Jeff

4. TopTop #4
    MsTerry

wowowowwwwowow,Jeff
    here's Dixon trying to right a wrong and you want to stop the revolution?
    It's not the money, it's the utter frustrating principle
    Besides are you going to pony up $30 for all the other Misguided Menschen?
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Braggi: View Post
    Dixon, it's only $30. Sounds like a cheap lesson. I suggest you pay it and let it go.

Thanks for sharing it with us. Next Wacco event where you show up, mention it and we'll take up a collection for you to reimburse you the $30. I'm willing to kick in a few bucks for having been told about it.

We all should know the differences between and among the various numbers on our checks. I think it's explained in the little information packet we get with each box of checks. It's also explained on various banking websites.

We'll all check it out should we need to use the system in question.

-Jeff

5. TopTop #5
    typewriter

You do NOT have to go to court. Like someone previously said, document all of your actions and ask to be given information as to how you can contest it. I also suggest finding out the name of the person who runs the department and approach that person directly in person, explaining the situation.

6. TopTop #6
    Lenny

With your computer I would write a letter to the department head, with a CC at the bottom to your supervisor and the grand jury. Make the letter clear, logical, with a request to the grand jury that an investigation into the telephonic instructions be reviewed for clarity and direction. Direct the the jury to find out how many others have had the same monetary loss. Do it now as there is a new grand jury and I am sure they are looking for "stuff".
    Sorry about that loss. Fight like a poled cat.

7. TopTop #7
    MsTerry

The head of the department can only change the procedures for the next person. They can NOT reverse a default payment, which I believe is a misdemeanor.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by typewriter: View Post
    You do NOT have to go to court. Like someone previously said, document all of your actions and ask to be given information as to how you can contest it. I also suggest finding out the name of the person who runs the department and approach that person directly in person, explaining the situation.

8. TopTop #8
    Dynamique

The grand jury is a great idea. While you're at it, suggest that they institute a website-based system in which one can use a credit/debit card rather than fumbling around with checks and routing numbers... over the phone, no less.

It sounds like this phone-based system is quite out of date (c. late 1980s ?) and needs to be revised.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Lenny: View Post
    With your computer I would write a letter to the department head, with a CC at the bottom to your supervisor and the grand jury. Make the letter clear, logical, with a request to the grand jury that an investigation into the telephonic instructions be reviewed for clarity and direction. Direct the the jury to find out how many others have had the same monetary loss. Do it now as there is a new grand jury and I am sure they are looking for "stuff".

9. TopTop #9
    Zeno Swijtink

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Lenny: View Post
    Also write a Letter to the Editor of the PD. Nothing moves bureaucracy as fast as public exposure.

Or get a reporter interested in this issue. Barring crises, after the Olympic Games the press will be in the summer doldrums and eager to pick up stories.

10. TopTop #10
    elienos

Unfortunately this is the way the world runs. US governments are really more like corporations and they really don't care if you are right, they just want your money. Of course if the screwup was not in their favor they would be more than happy to correct it. I deal with this sort of thing all the time. And the folks that you have access to to dicuss you problem don't actually have any power to do anything but the power to tell you the way things are. Too bad you can't file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

Actually, I once wrote a Petaluma judge about a faulty parking ticket once. He made it clear that he was "doing ME a favor" and then threw out the ticket "just this once!."

Too bad often the hassel is morethan the money is worth. That is what they count on.

11. TopTop #11
    nicofrog

I would agree on fighting the silly thing if you have time and energy for it
    and NO its ridiculous the stupid numbers on checks we are supposed to know that you cant even read because they are in some antiquated computer code, give me a break !! and was check writing and understanding your bank account taught in school hell no,car registration? not when I was a kid, nor how to order in a bar, or a million other things we needed to cope with industrialist idiocy like filling out a stupid form, and having a password every time you do anything on any website besides just take a look.I just figured out that changing your address is meaningless to the d.m.v. unless in writing you do it for each individual vehicle,they made hundreds off me on that one.I guess their computer is kinda old.
    Proof of the FACT that no one is trustworthy,that practicaly all computers give us other than a place to rant.
    Nico
    and DO get e recording of that message, or they'll change it and poof!
    I paid $750. on a no reg. ticket once they LOVE it when that happens to
    lunkheads who can't keep their papers streight.

Hellllllllp!!!
    Thanks for listening;
    Dixon

12. TopTop #12
    Sonomamark

Dixon, this is a simple one: call your county Supervisor. That's what elected officials are for--not only to make policy, but to provide constituent service. It's not an evil conspiracy, it's just a technical glitch--and your elected officials have the juice to fix it. County Supes office 585-2241. You're in Mike Reilly's district.

Mark

Quote Posted in reply to the post by nicofrog: View Post
    I would agree on fighting the silly thing if you have time and energy for it
    and NO its ridiculous the stupid numbers on checks we are supposed to know that you cant even read because they are in some antiquated computer code, give me a break !! and was check writing and understanding your bank account taught in school hell no,car registration? not when I was a kid, nor how to order in a bar, or a million other things we needed to cope with industrialist idiocy like filling out a stupid form, and having a password every time you do anything on any website besides just take a look.I just figured out that changing your address is meaningless to the d.m.v. unless in writing you do it for each individual vehicle,they made hundreds off me on that one.I guess their computer is kinda old.
    Proof of the FACT that no one is trustworthy,that practicaly all computers give us other than a place to rant.
    Nico
    and DO get e recording of that message, or they'll change it and poof!
    I paid $750. on a no reg. ticket once they LOVE it when that happens to
    lunkheads who can't keep their papers streight.

13. TopTop #13
    Sonomamark

Sorry, typo--that's 565-2241, not 585.

MG

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sonomamark: View Post
    Dixon, this is a simple one: call your county Supervisor. That's what elected officials are for--not only to make policy, but to provide constituent service. It's not an evil conspiracy, it's just a technical glitch--and your elected officials have the juice to fix it. County Supes office 585-2241. You're in Mike Reilly's district.

Mark

14. TopTop #14
    rbulwa

Dixon,

If you have the time and inclination, your best bet might be an appearance at walk-in court. Quoting the county website, "Walk-In Traffic Court is held Monday through Thursday. Walk-In Traffic Court is not held on Friday. You must arrive and check in at the Traffic Division, 600 Administration Drive, Room 109-J at 8:00 AM the day you wish to appear in Court, on or before the due date indicated on your citation. A limited number of cases are heard each day and are on a first come first served basis. Court begins at 8:30 AM. Walk-In Court can not be prescheduled. Shorts and tank tops are not appropriate attire for the courtroom."

Don't let this go too long, or your request won't be viewed as timely, and you will be subject to added delinquent fees and eventually a license hold. Don't really think your County Supervisor will have the jurisdiction that the sitting judge has.

Good luck.
    Bob

[QUOTE=Dixon;67076]Recently I tried to pay a minor traffic ticket using the County's prerecorded telephone payment system.